You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

misterID wrote:

I didn't say it was a fact, jon. And forgive me if I believe Axl is capable of doing something creatively petty just because he's pissed off.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's totally possible ID....my only doubt is why not replace all of it then...why did he leave some of the bucket solos - like if it was a rage based decision you'd think he'd scap all of bucket's parts not keep the best bits.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's totally possible ID....my only doubt is why not replace all of it then...why did he leave some of the bucket solos - like if it was a rage based decision you'd think he'd scap all of bucket's parts not keep the best bits.

Because he still not-so-secretly wanted Bucket back 16

And it might be as simple as Axl just really liked what Ron brought to the band and wanted everyone involved on the album.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's strange.

Axl recorded Brian May because Robin flew away yet eventually replaced both of them with Bumblefoot. It's an about-face on sentimentality.

I also think Buckethead's other solos were irreplaceable. His solos on Better, TWAT, and Prostitute are trademark Bucket with extensive use of the killswitch and are insanely beautiful in their own right. Lemme see ya try!

Kids, be so good that Axl Rose can't remove you from his records.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

the thing that is missing the most from CD the song is teh wah wah wah thing BH did at the HOB show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P9qTtiH8uA

at the 1:20 mark and again near the end 2:12

That's not Buckethead. It's a synth. Not sure if Dizzy or Pitman.

Gagarin wrote:

Someone had a comment about tape being out of date when these were first leaked - not exactly.

The most convenient form of recording sound and taking it somewhere else was still a cassette tape. Unless you had a MiniDisc recorder (remember those?). Ain't nobody had a MP3 player with a line in encoder, and if you did, it sounded like @#$%. Cars still had cassette decks (and CDs!) - and you were happy yours did, because you could connect your iPod with a tape adapter, and that sounded way better than the FM tuner your friend with JUST the CD player had to have.

The first leaks all - whatever the source, strip club CD, record label CD, band insider CDR - were put to some tape and then put back on a computer later. There's too much hiss and analog distortion on IRS 99, Twat 99, CITR, and (IRS?). OR maybe they were put into an analog out and then into an analog in on a MiniDisc. That's the best case. This latest file was definitely digital all the way to us. A good hi-fi system back in the day always had a CD player and a couple of tape decks. Remember that. That would have still been contemporary during the ol' leaks.

Back in 1999 there were lots of CDRs with both audio (wav/dat) and mp3 files. Of course, if you wanted to record with a mic, the most common way was still an analog tape (I had one when I was in college by that time to record interviews), but to rip other CDs there were already plenty of options using a PC with both mp3 or just copying the CD to a CDR. Sure, a line in recording probably would be either a MiniDisc, but the cassette tape wasn't that common either.

I agree with you, the 99 demos had too much hiss and analog distortion, hence why I always felt it was recorded on tape. But someone said the 99 demos were recorded from a DAT tape, and Im not sure how someone would rip audio from that back then.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

Back in 1999 there were lots of CDRs with both audio (wav/dat) and mp3 files. Of course, if you wanted to record with a mic, the most common way was still an analog tape (I had one when I was in college by that time to record interviews), but to rip other CDs there were already plenty of options using a PC with both mp3 or just copying the CD to a CDR. Sure, a line in recording probably would be either a MiniDisc, but the cassette tape wasn't that common either.

I agree with you, the 99 demos had too much hiss and analog distortion, hence why I always felt it was recorded on tape. But someone said the 99 demos were recorded from a DAT tape, and Im not sure how someone would rip audio from that back then.

Sure, people had CD-R and RW drives on their *computers*. And the MP-Man was only released in the States in July 1998. That's the first portable MP3 player. You're overestimating what the 'average' person had in 1999. People were still making mix tapes. If I have a CD and a computer, sure, I could rip it. If I'm at a party, I can't.

The later demos we got were *certainly* ripped from CDs/CD-Rs, most likely with iTunes (unfortunately).

Likely they had a DAT as one piece of equipment on a audio rack connected to a switcher/line-in to atape deck. Or just a line-in and line-out and some RCA cables. Everything had analog in and analog out. 

IE: something like this?
nakamichi_tower.preview.jpg

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:

I don't know if Buckethead's solo in Shacklers were that fitting. The song only got this final structure after Axl, Robin and Caram worked on it after Buckethead's departure.

IMO, Buckets best moment in the whole album were actually his fills in Better.

Wagszilla wrote:

The 2006-2008 era is a lot of smoke and mirrors.

The 2006 Tour was sold under the auspices of a relatively immediate release of the album which seemed to be a last ditch effort by Axl and Merck to get money to keep the band and the project alive. Merck falling on his sword was an obviously calculated move to push the release back and integrating Frank and Bumblefoot is just another filibuster by Axl. Every press release of that era reads like a cover-our-asses style confessional.

The album was done October 2006 at the latest and Andy Wallace was owed backpay for his mixes. The final recordings I'm aware of were in Vegas over the holiday. Ok, I guess it was officially done now.

Agreed. As far as I know, Andy Wallace was already mixing the album by April 2006. By August 2006, while on the UK tour, Axl said Richard and Robin were working on some stuff (but maybe not for CD? I can't remember).

Axl asked for more time before the NA Tour too. That's when he wanted to include Bumblefoot and Frank, I guess - they started to play Chinese Democracy with the newer straight-foward drum arrangement with Frank and Bumble's fretless rhythm guitar. Also, and this is pure speculation based only on Axl's voice/rasp at that time, my bet is that it was still missing vocals on songs like Shacklers (bridge), If The World (verses), Scraped (verses) and Sorry (bridge).

Wagszilla wrote:

The long story distilled to a short point: all the bloat likely came within the last 6 months of the project. Frank and Bumblefoot, Axl's excessive overdubs, and Caram getting promoted to bargain-bin mixer.

I disagree. Like I said, their live performances indicated that Frank and Bumblefoot were already recording back in mid/late-2006.

As soon as they started to record overdubs AFTER Andy Wallace worked on some mixing, the thing got fucked up. It changed the whole sound direction and it needed another approach on mixing. Instead of taking advantage of the more organic sound brought by Bumble and Frank, Axl and Caram just pasted the new layers on top of everything and let the rest got mudded.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

That's not Buckethead. It's a synth. Not sure if Dizzy or Pitman.

Speaking of synths, I miss the little bit which was used on CD (just before the vocals) live in 2001/2002 and the Boston promo. It added to the song.

Also preferred it when there was predominantly bass during the verses and not a bunch of muddy guitars.

Though I have to say I do like the "new" prelude/intro. It's cool.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

the intro is OK, but it should never be a part of the actual track, it should always have been a separate track. now it's ridiculous to play the song and wait for 1 minute until it actually starts.

benny
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:

LOL the WAV days!  Man I remember those days, using Winamp to convert WAV files to MP3 format.  Using MIRC and typing dos-like commands to search for and download songs.  Kids today are spoiled.

Board footer