You are not logged in. Please register or login.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

CSS 2.0 wrote:
zombux wrote:

the intro is OK, but it should never be a part of the actual track, it should always have been a separate track. now it's ridiculous to play the song and wait for 1 minute until it actually starts.

I never actually thought about it that way. You're right.

Would've been a very easy thing to do, too.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

I don't know if Buckethead's solo in Shacklers were that fitting. The song only got this final structure after Axl, Robin and Caram worked on it after Buckethead's departure.

The solo on Shackler's Revenge is a callback to Shackler's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7KuugpC4Hs

Bumblefoot more or less covered it and confirmed as much.

It's the "elephant noises" fans loved to talk about.

Voodoochild wrote:

Agreed. As far as I know, Andy Wallace was already mixing the album by April 2006. By August 2006, while on the UK tour, Axl said Richard and Robin were working on some stuff (but maybe not for CD? I can't remember).

The records were done and they were "satisfied" with the mixes in October 2006. Then all of the sudden the mix is bad and Bumblefoot and Frank need to do more recording in February 2007.

Voodoochild wrote:

I disagree. Like I said, their live performances indicated that Frank and Bumblefoot were already recording back in mid/late-2006.

Fair enough. I don't like it on principle but then dumbing it down is an extra no-no.

And yes, Shackler's Revenge was one of the last ones recorded in Vegas.

Any way, who cares. Us apparently.

zombux wrote:

the intro is OK, but it should never be a part of the actual track, it should always have been a separate track. now it's ridiculous to play the song and wait for 1 minute until it actually starts.

I agree.

I still think The General or something else was the original opener and wonder when the new intro was devised.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:

Interesting, I didnt know this "elephant noises" were originally from Bucket. Still, I dont know if the rest of the original Bucket solo was anything special untill I hear it.

About Andy Wallace: so the Antiquiet leaks were essentially the final album? Wonder if the other songs were not yet mixed or considered in the final tracklist. Scraped we just didnt know anything about, and This I Love was supposed to not be in the album at all untill Robin conviced Axl in some moment. And Shacklers, like you said, still had recordings to do in Vegas.

Gagarin wrote:

Sure, people had CD-R and RW drives on their *computers*. And the MP-Man was only released in the States in July 1998. That's the first portable MP3 player. You're overestimating what the 'average' person had in 1999. People were still making mix tapes. If I have a CD and a computer, sure, I could rip it. If I'm at a party, I can't.

I don't think people who would have access to those highly secretive DAT tapes or any other demo from the band would be an 'average' person. Also, the demos were from 1999, but we don't know when the rip happened. It could very well be back in 2006 for all we know (albeit unlikely).

You're probably right, tho. What else could explain such (lack of) quality?

Gagarin wrote:

Likely they had a DAT as one piece of equipment on a audio rack connected to a switcher/line-in to atape deck. Or just a line-in and line-out and some RCA cables. Everything had analog in and analog out. 

IE: something like this?
https://www.hifiengine.com/files/images … review.jpg

Yeah. People used to have those massive audio setup.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

one explanation might be that the lack of quality was intentional and was only made after stealing the source. maybe in attempt to hide traces of the guy who took them out of the studio.
(yes, not as likely as other explanations, but anything is possible I guess)

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

Interesting, I didnt know this "elephant noises" were originally from Bucket. Still, I dont know if the rest of the original Bucket solo was anything special untill I hear it.

About Andy Wallace: so the Antiquiet leaks were essentially the final album? Wonder if the other songs were not yet mixed or considered in the final tracklist. Scraped we just didnt know anything about, and This I Love was supposed to not be in the album at all untill Robin conviced Axl in some moment. And Shacklers, like you said, still had recordings to do in Vegas.

Fair enough, I would like to hear it too.

Yes, that's my impression anyway.

In my view, the entire project was done by 2007. Multiple comments by various people indirectly confirm this.

zombux wrote:

one explanation might be that the lack of quality was intentional and was only made after stealing the source. maybe in attempt to hide traces of the guy who took them out of the studio.

Merck was adamant about catching this guy. Not so much about the others. Solve for X.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:

Forgot about Catcher too. Which is another song heavily altered after Bumblefoot.

Likely the 2007 version was more cohesive and had an alternate tracklist. Probably with Atlas and two more. Possibly already mixed by Wallace.

zombux wrote:

It is possible indeed.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Is the madagascar link still out there?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

CSS 2.0 wrote:
zombux wrote:

I never actually thought about it that way. You're right.

Would've been a very easy thing to do, too.

Worse, they released the single with that intro. As the first single off the album. DJs probably listened to the first ten seconds, went, "when does the fucking song start?" and then chucked it in the bin. The first thing sent to radio stations should've been Better. The second thing should've been TWAT. One punchy, catchy rock song with an instantly recognisable hook, one gigantic November-Rain-a-like orchestral ballad with showcase solos for each of the two main lead guitarists. Simple.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup. and it's a HUGE problem, because the song itself is FUCKING groovy. and that idiotic intro has killed it off airplay. if they had at least made some radio edit, but I think there was no such release.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Worse, they released the single with that intro. As the first single off the album. DJs probably listened to the first ten seconds, went, "when does the fucking song start?" and then chucked it in the bin. The first thing sent to radio stations should've been Better. The second thing should've been TWAT. One punchy, catchy rock song with an instantly recognisable hook, one gigantic November-Rain-a-like orchestral ballad with showcase solos for each of the two main lead guitarists. Simple.

14 17

The single was so half-assed. I mean they didn't even have unique covers, disc art, or anything. Gah. What an embarrassment.

They could've even focus tested styles! Here's the punk version, here's the ambient version, here's the classic version.

It was never going to happen but TWAT, IRS, and Better all should've been removed from the album or considered to be the undercard.

Board footer