You are not logged in. Please register or login.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

CSS 2.0 wrote:

Ashba killed any remaining interest from me. I tried my best to support the guy and initially that kind of worked in his favour since Axl just sounded so damn good at the beginning in 2009/2010 (he looked worse for wear but I couldn't care less), but from there on out it was a downward spiral like we've never witnessed before.

I vividly remember the Rock In Rio "performance" in 2011... Streamed online for the world to see. That was the straw which broke the camel's back - what a fucking disaster.

Not to mention the Bridge School Benefit or that Appetite for Democracy rubbish.

Of course this wasn't down to DJ but he's the epitome of what I consider to be a stereotype rock star and I just can't deal with that type of personality. All I could ever see was a Slash copycat and I couldn't get past it.

Writing had always been on the wall with the post-1996 incarnation of GN'R but A) Robin leaving in the wake of CD's release and B) Axl picking a fight with a paparazzo in an airport before the supporting tour had even begun should've sent the alarm bells ringing at full speed.

I had a chance to see them in 2010 but opted not to. For reference I saw them 4 times in 3 different countries back in 2006. I think that speaks volumes. Really, I stopped giving a crap after we finally got the album.

The sad truth is the very day Buckethead left it was already over.

19 years were spent essentially sullying one man's career/reputation and for what? Virtually nothing of worth.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That could he true, but I remember Beta posting the album was turned in and she had no reason to lie. The fact Azoff was brought on board and it was then released with the BB deal tells me she was right. He did turn it in and label wasn't doing anything with it.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

It's difficult because I am not wanting to be disrespectful to anyone and it is such a long time ago.

I will have a think and see if I can get proof for u

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
sp1at wrote:

It's a myth. (I think) there was a contractual deadline in 1999 and an album was handed over but Axl was not happy with it. Oh My God was released on a soundtrack, but I am sure it is recorded publicly somewhere that Axl was not happy with it being released.

Wrt Tommy, people close to Axl will only repeat what Axl says and I am sure he will blame the record company for this, that and the other.

I am working off memories of stuff from 10 years ago, but I was in contact with Universal for 2 years and I am sure this is all right

Not to mention Tommy is only going by what Axl told him happened.   Its not like Tommy was there when and if the album got rejected.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

From Wiki on Oh My God, released November 1999, "In 2008, Rose claimed the song was an unfinished demo which was rushed to be released for inclusion with the End of Days film soundtrack"

Given that this is the end of 1999, sounds more like I am right

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
sp1at wrote:

From Wiki on Oh My God, released November 1999, "In 2008, Rose claimed the song was an unfinished demo which was rushed to be released for inclusion with the End of Days film soundtrack"

Given that this is the end of 1999, sounds more like I am right

to be fair Axl though the UYI songs were unfinished and though they needed more work but the label forced out the album.

Axl never thinks anything is finished that is why the songs that make the album after lies were always so bloated and over produced.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

paging for madagascar please...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

MisterID, like someone else said my memory is foggy 10+ years later, but I recall Beta's post on HTGTH being pretty over the top. Just her venting haphazardly laying blame on anyone but Axl. I don't think it was a factual statement as much as it was her replying to what was likely some annoying 16 year old poster/troll egging her on & she fired back. Lamely. But I think I do remember her posting about how none of this is Axls fault. Not sure I'd completely buy into it, that's all.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:

Beta lies about a lot, I would never take her word at face value, she is an Axl parrot

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

Ashba killed any remaining interest from me. I tried my best to support the guy and initially that kind of worked in his favour since Axl just sounded so damn good at the beginning in 2009/2010 (he looked worse for wear but I couldn't care less), but from there on out it was a downward spiral like we've never witnessed before.

I vividly remember the Rock In Rio "performance" in 2011... Streamed online for the world to see. That was the straw which broke the camel's back - what a fucking disaster.

Yeah it was like that for me too.

Initially I was excited about DJ joining, as I was very skeptical about Robin.

For the record I like Robin's stage presence - he's a watchable dude and I would have liked him in a Rhythm roll with occasional leads on the CD songs - but I just didn't think he had the chops to do Slash's stuff well.

Dj seemed like he would be an improvement at first as it was obviously more important to him to be faithful to the original guitar solos (which is as important to me as sticking to the lyrics.).

I find him a conundrum - I've met him twice and he was a very friendly and cool dude. So I have nothing against him. But I don't really like his stage persona for GNR. His personal style seemed more Motley Crue than GNR (that's not an insult as I LOVE motley - but its a different band) and the effect was kinda like watching Motley Ape Slash and it just seemed a bit forced. Marketing wise it just felt too transparent like you could see the strings or something.

To be honest if he'd dropped the hat and if he didn't pull quite as many of slash's quitar stances I'd have been down to keep him. Like how Robin evolved from 2002 to 2006 I can imagine a version of DJ that I thought was a cooler than the one we had.

Anyway - I was super excited for the band in 2009 - that Asian tour was off the hook to me - finally they were doing a lot of CD songs - Axl was smashing out the screams on twat and it sounded awesome. All guns were firing so to speak.

Then it went to hell with that rio disaster. I remember live streaming it and the shock and disapointment were hard. I convinced myself it was an off night at first but as we all know the next few years were hard. I respect Axl might have some vocal issues or whatever but its just hard to get used to that voice.

It was one reason the 2016 and the Axl Dc shows were so triumphant for fans. Raspy Axl was back for the first real time since 2010 or something. It was like now this is the man.

That shoot to thrill cover.....fuck me....that is Axl Rose folks. It dropped my jaw.

Board footer