You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Differences between bands ... lack of professionalism and other issues

zombux wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

I like 2006 better than now to be honest. Sure Slash and Duff are great, but 2006 OWNED.

The music's clearer now with two guitarists, but... Slash, Duff and Melissa in the 2006 band, man. That would've made a hungry band even better.

clearer, but quite dull. it might fit a club tour though, like that 2012 one.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Bet you a tenner Slash nixed the 3-gtr-lineup. He seems to like Fortus, who works hard and has chops. But I doubt Slash'd be happy to have Bucket or Ron on his other side.

Axl wanted three gtrs. This was originally influenced by his conscience. In late 2001, Robin was coming back (Ax loves Robin) and Bucket was already there. So the three guitar thing was never really hashed out - according to Ron - until the 2009 tour. By then, we had Ashba(TM) and that's a movie we've all seen. 18

zombux

zombux wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Bet you a tenner Slash nixed the 3-gtr-lineup. He seems to like Fortus, who works hard and has chops. But I doubt Slash'd be happy to have Bucket or Ron on his other side.

Axl wanted three gtrs. This was originally influenced by his conscience. In late 2001, Robin was coming back (Ax loves Robin) and Bucket was already there. So the three guitar thing was never really hashed out - according to Ron - until the 2009 tour. By then, we had Ashba(TM) and that's a movie we've all seen. 18

well, according to Robin, the story was originally 2-guitar only. but when Bucket joined instead of Robin (and remember that Fortus was going to show up originally, but before he could, Axl met Bucket and instantly convinced him to join the band, so Fortus had to wait a few years), the whole thing felt un-anchored (Robin's words... "anchor"). so they needed that anchor, and because Robin was just free from Fragility 2.0 tour (loved that tour, btw!), he got back to GNR and the 3-guitar monster was born. right until Ron got too fed up and left, with nobody replacing him in the end.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

There was a Salon "article" about the band that listed Kushner as the 3rd gtr. This suggests Axl was originally into maintaining that configuration, with Slash and Duff involving their mate. Tis possible they even rehearsed together and mutually decided that Fortus is enough of a wingman. Given how easygoing Dave is, this could've all been achieved discreetly behind closed doors.

zombux

zombux wrote:

nah, that must have been a pure speculation. especially considering VR have been pretty much dead since 2008 (with one-off 2012 show). sure, he was a cool guy, but even the reformed Loaded (post-VR) haven't included him (he joined the band only shortly in 2002, right before VR was formed), so I can't see any reason why would this happen, besides tabloid speculations keeping pulling rabbits out of the hat smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

There's an interview with Dave where he admits he read that in the tabloid too and got excited even though he knew no one had been in touch from VR/GNR. 16

As for 2006 gigs - I think Slash destroys Robin on those songs, but Axl was clearly more vital and still a powerhouse in 2006.

So either put 2006 Axl in the current band, or current Slash in the 2006 line up as the lead player, and you'd have a 'better than all other bands' GNR of lore once again.

Mind you - both of those line ups could use Sorum...but that's another story!

zombux

zombux wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

As for 2006 gigs - I think Slash destroys Robin on those songs, but Axl was clearly more vital and still a powerhouse in 2006.

So either put 2006 Axl in the current band, or current Slash in the 2006 line up as the lead player, and you'd have a 'better than all other bands' GNR of lore once again.

Slash destroys Robin in his own songs, but he also butchers Robin's (and Bucket's) songs, so it's 1:1. DJ Ashba was a lot better at Robin's songs, altough he was probably trying too hard to play everything literally note by note and finally failed, because Robin's style of playing is unique. and Bucket is totally another world, Ron made a great job replacing him (and adding his own things), but both Slash and Richard are just miles behind those two monsters. Slash's improvisation instead of original solos is a hit or miss, sometimes works sometimes doesn't at all, Richard works hard to play at least something of Bucket's solos, but he's not that sort of beast.
but still, all guitars ever in GNR were more or less okay to me (with the possible exceptions of Tracii Guns and Paul Huge, whose contributions to the band are extremely obscure). the only real problem I have with 2011+ lineups is the frontman, who is just bad. at least he seems to be in a good psychical shape now, he lacked that for a long time, but all the other feats he had are gone.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
zombux wrote:

Slash destroys Robin in his own songs, but he also butchers Robin's (and Bucket's) songs, so it's 1:1.

Even if that's true though - 2006 GNR played almost solid AFD songs most shows and only like 2 forthcoming CD tracks....so it still led to more WTF moments in 2006. I do have a soft spot for Axl of that era though - total badass.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

monkeychow wrote:
zombux wrote:

Slash destroys Robin in his own songs, but he also butchers Robin's (and Bucket's) songs, so it's 1:1.

Even if that's true though - 2006 GNR played almost solid AFD songs most shows and only like 2 forthcoming CD tracks....so it still led to more WTF moments in 2006. I do have a soft spot for Axl of that era though - total badass.

Axl in 06 was killer. There was a hunger about him that I don’t think we’d seen before (at least in the post Slash era) or since. He seemed like he had something to prove in 06 and there was still an element of danger about him. He seems content and happy and enjoying it now he has Slash and Duff back but the drive and hunger is less evident now (and non existant 09-14).

Agree on the assessment of the 06 tour as well. I think even then James labelled 06 as AFD rehash. GNR shows have been largely based on nostalgia for the best part of 2 decades. Now that Slash and Duff are back nostalgia’s suddenly a problem and a stick to beat them with? I’d take the current form over the ‘dangling a carrot of new material and progress meanwhile playing 85% old songs with inferior players world tour part VII’ any day of the week.

zombux

zombux wrote:

yup I absolutely agree. Axl in 2006 was absolutely on fire, badass and his voice was in the best shape since maybe 1991 (not really sure about the rest of UYI tour, he sounded wrecked a bit too often) and probably also the last time ever.
the 2006 tour was also special for one thing - the album release was literally in the air, expected to happen any day. Baz and others were doing a shitload of promotion, the band was on fire and the first real ChiDem leaks meant the expectations were flying up to the stratosphere (quite deservedly, I loved them and the general public was very pleased as well). too bad it got delayed AGAIN, then the following 2007 tour was somewhat weird. maybe the last genuinely exciting shows were the last 2006 LA shows.
man, it's over 11 years ago!

Board footer