You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Differences between bands ... lack of professionalism and other issues

esoterica wrote:

In my line of work there's a psychological phenomena known as perceived contrast.

The theory states that you perceive the relative contrast of an image based on the surrounding elements. To put a finer point on it, if you judge an image to be sharp or high contrast or very colorful, it's largely because of the pixels around that area biased you in your assessment. An area will be thought to be darker if it's surrounded by light pixels, and so forth.

This is my round about way of explaining Axl in 2006. The last we saw of him in 2002 he looked puffy, strange, mentally unstable, sounded questionably, and the whole thing ended with a canceled tour and with the operation in a deadly tailspin. When he resurfaced in 2006, a relative generation later, the opposite was true. He looked gruff, mean, motivated, garbed in leather and diamonds, and had his snarl back. It was on all fronts a return to form. The star had been reborn. And there were cameras there capturing it for us to see.

I remember only press shots from Rio, the fan shots from House of Blues, and the press shot from the VMAs from that long and sordid crawl through the veritable desert. In 2006, however, every day was conceivably Christmas morning. My heavens, another shot of Axl! What strange garb our dear old Robin is wearing today! Gracious me! A long-form interview with Axl! Wow. A fan recording of Hammerstein! Holy shit! A leak of Better! OH MY GOOOOOOOOODDDDDD. The proverbial floodgates were opening at long last, precious manna from the skies! Axl is risen! Axl is coming! Chinese come quickly! Hallelujah!

This also explains why 2007-2008 and onwards were so torturous. A return to secrecy, the leaks were sealed, the stream of information had dried up, and we were back to wandering in the desert.

I think this also explains the fanbases malaise during the late New GNR shows and most of the NITL Tour. Contrast. It's great for your business to deliver a consistent level of quality but anathema to rock n' roll and what makes art exciting. You need valleys to appreciate the peaks. You need marked changes to the setlist for it to be a special show. Go back to 2006 and you'll see a case study in how to do this right: different costumes, different venues, TSI material, rare AFD cuts, new solo spots, new covers, band jams, more new album material. Baz and Kid Rock guest spots. Bubbles! Izzy! It had it's flaws but it certainly wasn't encased in mothballs with a corporate sheen.

I can appreciate them cashing in while there's money on the table but it's time to bring some life to those stagnant waters.

P.S. I'm under the impression most people don't listen to the 2016-2017 soundboards very closely. The 2002/2006 bands are worlds better. The handoffs between Fortus and Slash are consistently sloppy, Slash's solos just go nowhere, Melissa's playing is flat and clunky, and Frank is Frank. I've actually probably been more surprised at Frank being respectable than others in my limited listens. "But people were stupid and you could sell them anything".

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

P.S. I'm under the impression most people don't listen to the 2016-2017 soundboards very closely. The 2002/2006 bands are worlds better. The handoffs between Fortus and Slash are consistently sloppy, Slash's solos just go nowhere, Melissa's playing is flat and clunky, and Frank is Frank. I've actually probably been more surprised at Frank being respectable than others in my limited listens.

THIS.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

My issue is that with the 3 guitarists the handoffs were worse.

Most of the solos were divided between at least 2 guitarists - often mid way through the solo.

So the first 5 secs or so after the switch over the sound people will be fumbling to raise the level of the right guy. Often the camera guy does the same too.

Think of PC Rock In Rio 2006 where you can't even hear bumble's outro. It happened all the time.

But I agree the modern band isn't perfect. Melissa needs to be heavily scaled back. Frank needs to go. Axl needs his 2016 voice not his 2017 voice.

It's a crime they didn't reunite in 2006 I think. We would have had the best stuff ever.

zombux

zombux wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Most of the solos were divided between at least 2 guitarists - often mid way through the solo.

well, I loved that!
BBF's guitar was regularly fucked up due to bad mixing. just remember that dreadful Nightrain from Donington 2006. they didn't even raise his volume above zero, AND THEN they did release that video officially! what an incompetent mess!

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I remember the screechy Robin solos from 2006 too but it was just smooth as butter when they were dialed in.

But you can't cheat hundreds of hours of rehearsal to a seemingly hastily assembled reunion.

It overall has a feeling of "wait, am I playing this right". It's sloppy, tentative.

You're right Monkey, lots of wasted time and opportunities.

zombux

zombux wrote:

to be fair, we noticed sound disaster already in 2001. we don't have the Vegas soundboard, but RIR3 was a mixing disaster. the sound guys had no idea who is playing what and seemed to adjust volume of instruments randomly. also it might have been the "rio karma", that followed in 2006, 2011 and also to some extent in 2017 (or it was 2016? I don't remember, lol) - they were always doing a pro broadcast, and it got fucked up. actually I'm starting to think that the only way things were going smoothly since 1992 was Rock am Ring 2006, which was superb performance-wise, mixing-wise and quality-wise. especially compared to dreadful events like... that one in 2012 I think, I even forced its name out of my memory, and no I'm not thinking about the Appetite for Democracy event, that one was still okay, I'm talking about the other one(s).

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

It overall has a feeling of "wait, am I playing this right". It's sloppy, tentative.

Although i loved the shows, There's something that doesn't quite sit right about the current line up.

It's something about the way Slash, Duff, Frank and Richard are playing together I think.

It's odd as Slash and Duff have always had great chemistry together.

Richard is a great player and his solo spots with Slash sound amazing.

Frank was a solid drummer in the Nu GNR era.

So what has changed? I can never quite put my finger on it - but at times it's like Slash, Richard and Frank are just not in sync.

I know you guys mostly hate him but it makes me miss sorum. Like Slash, Gilby/Dave and Sorum were always in the zone together even when Slash could hardly stand.

Is the current band playing to a click? Maybe it's that. I mean Slash is always amazing but he seems less comfortable playing these songs now than he did with Myles in 2012 or so.

That said...problems aside...the current line up versions of some stuff is killer...like the Chinese Democracy title track...I love Slash's outro on it.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Aye, Zombie but mixing can be fixed up with relative ease. It’s the performance that’s flawed this time. It took a perfect mix and an appreciable amount of EQ to make the show baseline palatable.

Aye, Monkey. I’m hardly an expert on the Ashba era but Bumble is quite the player. His original material leaves you wanting but his work was impeccable especially on solos. Slash doesn’t have the juice to reach that high these days. Pitman was essential to the Chinese stew in 2002. It’s so funky and cool, I can never get enough.

Any way, I’m kind of annoying myself. I clearly don’t enjoy the present band so I should just sit on my hands until an album / leak / juicy past tidbit materializes.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDM5-deNCO0

A little rant upfront and Axl, very light on his feet.

zombux

zombux wrote:

I loved that era! the last time GNR seemed on fire. this comes from LA 2006, does my memory serve correctly?

and currently I once again returned to Duff's solo/Loaded stuff around 2000. my god, that must be the strongest albums by any GNR (ex-)member ever done after UYI era. don't get me wrong, I just feel like especially Beautiful Disease is much more straightforward and genuine album than Chinese Democracy or Contraband. yeah, it sounds like some generic punk rock, but actually it's all about the shit Duff was in during that era and man it was insanely hard. sure, Believe in Me is well known album, but the later era is quite obscure. but there are so many underrated gems and I love that stuff.

of all guys who ever joined GNR and recorded some solo or semi-solo stuff, I probably most like Duff, BH&BBF.

too bad Duff and everybody else seems quite bored and uninspired nowadays. sad times.

Board footer