You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Perfect Crime

bigbri wrote:

The record industry is making money again at the level they were before the Internet because of streaming. The excuse that there’s no money to be made in making albums has been debunked, at least from a label perspective. If GNR doesn’t make an album, it’s because they don’t want to and have no interest in working together in that way.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

The level before the internet...?

Somehow I don’t think so. Artists make SFA from Spotify and alike. Sure they are making some money, but it’s not like pre-internet days. Not even close.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

\ While we can be pretty sure that they will all be around in 10 years' time

But can we? Sorry to be negative, I want a GNR record as much as anyone else, but look at our Key 3 as if you were a health insurance company...

Male 1:  56 years old, Undiagnosed Mental Illness including sducidal idolisation and periods of paranoia and isolation. Known history of cocaine, tobacco and alcohol use. Known to still drink/party relatively heavily.

Male 2: 52 years old. Heroin and alcohol addict, spent more than 20 years as a hardcore Junkie. Heavy smoker for the entire time. Known problems with drinking persisted after kicking heroin. Known but brief relapse of some type within the last 10-12 years or so. Apparently clean at present time. Had pacemaker fitted in his 30s due to heart problems caused by previous drug abuse.

Male 3: 54 years old. Extreme alcoholic, almost died of pancreatic poisoning due to alcohol abuse. Suffers from anxiety disorder. Admits to having relapse episodes abusing prescription medication at times within the past 10-12 years.

I really hope they all keep defying the odds and kicking ass...but at the same time....i'm not too sure about the idea of putting off projects for another 10 years....I mean I've known a lot of males who have health issues in their 60s that would prohibit performance at a top level and these are people without this kind of history of bodily abuse.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I’d be open to the argument but I too am skeptical. I’d want to see the numbers.

I suppose streaming and advertising revenues could be good money makers but they have every reason to spin the facts and fudge numbers and it won’t be as lucrative simply because the economy is a complete mess.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Somehow I don’t think so. Artists make SFA from Spotify and alike. Sure they are making some money, but it’s not like pre-internet days. Not even close.

Source: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/24/which … -on-3.html

There’s also a link within that story that tells of the same windfall for the industry.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The excuse that there’s no money to be made in making albums has been debunked, at least from a label perspective.

The link you cited is simplistic and doesn't show it's work.

For starters, the aggregate is irrelevant. The top players subsidize the lesser players, more so now than ever before.

bigbri wrote:

If GNR doesn’t make an album, it’s because they don’t want to and have no interest in working together in that way.

The article paints the record industry as a low competition monopoly.

This means even if they wanted to release a new album they'd have little incentive in doing so or at least face an uphill battle.

And this isn't even mentioning the former contract situation, burned bridges, or GN'R's diminished place in the pantheon.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Male 3: 54 years old. Extreme alcoholic, almost died of pancreatic poisoning due to alcohol abuse. Suffers from anxiety disorder. Admits to having relapse episodes abusing prescription medication at times within the past 10-12 years.

To be fair, Male 3 stopped drinking at around 30 due to the said pancreas and has since led a healthy lifestyle. He's a fit fella, certainly the most insurable.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

To be fair, Male 3 stopped drinking at around 30 due to the said pancreas and has since led a healthy lifestyle. He's a fit fella, certainly the most insurable.

Male 3 is indeed living an extremely healthy lifestyle, sober for the last 23 (am I counting correctly?) years, doing fitness, etc.
indeed the other 2 are at risk.
as for the rest of the band, I have no indications they were ever "Living on the Edge" (hi, Steven Tyler!), that makes a solid base.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Just curious, what's SFA?

(Looked it up on Urban Dictionary, not seeing anything related to the context)

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

PaSnow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Just curious, what's SFA?

(Looked it up on Urban Dictionary, not seeing anything related to the context)

Sweet Fanny Adams. Or if you want to be vulgar, sweet fuck-all.

Board footer