You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

misterID wrote:

I kind of wish they would have also re-recorded Shadow with new lyrics, ala Van Halen.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I believe shadow is 86.

At first i could see that the guitar parts sound like modern slash - but then its not really surprising that a guy sounds like himself - and when you consider that young slash did record all that AFD stuff - it's not like this was beyond his skill level.

As for Axl - it sounds more young Axl than modern to me. Although we've seen him smash out huge high screams recently on "Thunderstruck" and "Hells Bells" and so on - they do seem more scream based - it seems a long time since he's delivered this kinda sustained yet sung highnotes with a melody with the sort of breath control this song requires. I mean I guess he could do anything in the studio but it sounds like the kinda thing he was doing easily back in the day. Plus if you look at the live clip on youtube - this version is very similar - it's not the same take - but it IS the way he sang it back in 86 - so there's no real reason to assume it's not.

I think what we're hearing is some serious EQing - maybe a few modern protools effects and stuff in the mix - and modern mastering over it all.

But it does seem the original track is essentially an 86 performance. Maybe cleaned up a little or something, but for the most part original I suspect.

I just hope the main album sounds this good.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Adler just said it wasn’t him on a shadow of Your Love during an interview yesterday in Australia. Said Shadow and Reckless Life are pretty much the same song.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Walker wrote:
AndreCC wrote:

Do you guys think that all the demos will have the same kind of quality as shadow of your Love ?

I hope they do. I'm most excited for the 2 November Rain demos. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this thing to leak, but there isn't a section for it yet on hasitleaked dot com.

Yeah, I always loved the demos to NR, both acoustic & piano. Would love for them to be epically polished up to see how they compare to the studio track. Always felt NR was overproduced.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Adler just said it wasn’t him on a shadow of Your Love during an interview yesterday in Australia. Said Shadow and Reckless Life are pretty much the same song.

That's interesting. Do we know who it is then?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

That's interesting. Do we know who it is then?

Rob Gardner?

Or it is Steven and he just can’t remember what is and isn’t him anymore.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

Adler probably got his memory totally fucked up. anyway, it's supposed to be from November 86 Mike Clink session, so it could hardly be Rob Gardner or anybody else than good old junk Adler.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think what Adler is saying is that he was the original drummer but this version doesn’t sound like him. He is implying the drums are re-recorded.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

i don't trust adler's memory, but '86 was way before he was too fucked up and i think the dude would recognize his own drumming.

i just have no idea who this could be if it's not steven. no fuckin' way it's frank, rob gardner, brain or josh freese.

it must just be eq'd and sped up so much that steven can't recognize it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Those are early 80s Axl vocals. No doubt.

Parts of them are. Parts. I will agree some parts were Axl's original take(s), whether they be L.A. Guns, Hollywood Rose or Guns N' Roses. Considering their pristine-quality, I would think early-GN'R sessions around 86-87.

But NOT all.

There are other parts that sound like re-dubs or added ooh's & ahh's or YEAH's from Axl's vocals circa the Use Your Illusion-sessions. So much of the production on this version of Shadow sounds ala Use Your Illusion-style.

With this and Saskatoon, I actually went back and re-listened to UYI to just confirm I wasn't crazy. Maybe I am, but this version of Shadow sounds pieced together and mixed as if it were originally supposed to go alongside Right Next Door To Hell, Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden, Shotgun Blues, etc. Lots of sound similarities.

That's the only way it's old-era. If not... well then they went back in with this band, which i'm not so sure of.

Nothing about the production on this sounds AFD-era. Not from demos, not from the Hollywood Rose release. I know L.A. Guns catalog very closely as well, and again -- no dice.

The more I listened to it, the more I think this version was meant for Illusion I & II and was completed years ago and just sat in the vault, ala Soundgarden's "Black Rain" and Badmotorfinger.

P.S.

Those drums are Steven's. Definitely not Matt. Not Matt's sound. Too much "swing" (lolz). Not a snowball's chance in hell it's Rob Gardner. So they recorded within the 3 months he was in the band? Doubtful. If he's on drums, why not say it's Tracii Guns on guitar? That doesn't work, because it doesn't sound like his take from the Hollywood Rose release. So there's a version WITH Slash and ROB, but not Tracii? It's Frank Ferrer before it's Rob Gardner imo.

Board footer