You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

Tommie wrote:

Report: GTAIV 'poised' to make $400M in one week
Sources "close to" Take-Two Interactive tell Variety presell figures indicate the darkly comic PS3/360 crime spree will have the biggest debut of all time.

There's no question that Grand Theft Auto IV will have a massive debut. How massive, exactly? Today, Variety predicted the Rockstar Games title could see biggest entertainment property launch of all time when it goes on sale worldwide on April 29 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The Hollywood trade claims that "sources close to publisher Take-Two Interactive," which owns Rockstar Games, have been tracking how many units of GTAIV they have pre-sold to retailers. According to said sources, the publisher believes 6 million units of the Rockstar North-developed game will sell during its first week on the market, generating over $400 million in revenue.

If that figure holds out, GTAIV will come close to exceeding the $404 million Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End grossed internationally during its first six days in theaters. It will soundly best the current record-holder for a game premiere, Halo 3, which earned $300 million by selling 5 million copies in its first week on the worldwide market last year.

Some analysts are predicting GTAIV to do even bigger business when it arrives. Last October, Janco Partners' Mike Hickey says Rockstar's latest could "conceivably" ship 9.5 million units in one week--5.8 million in the US alone. The most popular GTA game to date is 2004's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which has sold nearly 22 million units worldwide to date on the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC.

Variety correctly notes that Take-Two will need GTAIV to be a hit of outsized proportions to stave off Electronic Arts' takeover bid, which became hostile on March 13. Thursday afternoon, Take-Two stockholders will meet to discuss EA's $2 billion, $26-per-share offer, which is a 64 percent mark-up over the publisher's previous stock price. Late last month, Take-Two management led by chairman Strauss Zelnick asked shareholders to decline EA's offer, which some analysts believe could lead to a GTAIV delay if it is successful.
By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
Posted Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm PT
Story from GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6189326.html

I'm getting really hyped for this game.  I'll be picking this up the day it comes out.

I can't believe that it'll be released within two weeks.

It's going to be amazing.

myillusions
 Rep: 5 

myillusions wrote:

I'm a Playstation guy.

My games:

KILLZONE (PS2)
Black (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre (PS2)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)
Soldier of Fortune: Payback (PS3)
Motor Storm (PS3)

I'm looking forward to KILLZONE 2 due out this year and Grand theft Auto IV due out this month.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

I'm still trying to save for an XBox 360. I've been playing Halo 3 online with my friends a lot lately, and I've come to the decision that I need to have one.

myillusions
 Rep: 5 

myillusions wrote:
BurningHills wrote:

I'm still trying to save for an XBox 360. I've been playing Halo 3 online with my friends a lot lately, and I've come to the decision that I need to have one.

Do you not fear the Red Ring of Death? 14

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Ordered GTA4 yesterday although everywhere I tried said they'd sold out of it and would ship me a copy whne their next batch arrived. They said I should get it around May 2/3rd time, can't wait.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:
myillusions wrote:
BurningHills wrote:

Do you not fear the Red Ring of Death? 14

From what I understand, all of the newer models come with a 3 year warranty from Microsoft - if the red rings pops up, send it to 'em and they'll mail you a new one.

Not a bad deal at all.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I've had mine since september, and I've had no problems.  I dont play it to death or anything, but I log a decent amount of hours on it.  They say that the newest batch of systems (starting last summer) should be free of the rings of death.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Looking forward to GTA 4 but until I get a copy I bought Gran Tourismo 5 Prologue and it is freaking incredible!!!  The "inside of car" view is amazing and the realism is out of this world.  Less than 40 bucks too!!  N I C E ! ! !

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Is anybody looking forward to Metal Gear Solid 4 coming out in June? Has anybody read much about it, is it meant to be good? I go through phases with the MGS games but once you start playing one you can't stop.

Board footer