You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Damn I was afraid of that.

AtariLegend wrote:

Yes, it gets alot better. Those early missions are just tutorial missions. It's great game once you get into it and the missions and the violence get more epic throughout until the end.

johndivney wrote:

well actually, there are a LOT of crappy missions. even more so than in the GTA's.

but it's faults are forgivable.
one word: mexico.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Finished Episode 3 of the Walking Dead (loving it even though I had to go through some frame rate issues, programming glitches that made me have to exit and restart a part of an event which wasn't a big issue) and loving some of Halo 4's multiplayer so far. big_smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Finally got some time during the holidays to just play. Rather than immediately crack into Max Payne 3, I decided to have a refresher and replay Max Payne 1 & 2. I hadn't played them since their original releases. So I went through them and alot of wonderful, lovely memories came flooding back. Then I opened Max Payne 3 which i'm playing now, and am close to the end.

I'm gonna have a full write up on the entire series. I've got alot of thoughts on the entire franchise, both good and bad.

RussTCB wrote:
smoke wrote:

Just picked up Red Dead Redemption GOTY edition. Anyone play it? I've only put maybe 30 minutes in so far, but I've already had to.follow someone around on a horse three times. Hope its a better game than that...

That happens a lot. It was my biggest gripe with the game; riding around on horses listening to a shit load of dialog.

smoke wrote:

Damn I was afraid of that.

AtariLegend wrote:

Yes, it gets alot better. Those early missions are just tutorial missions. It's great game once you get into it and the missions and the violence get more epic throughout until the end.

johndivney wrote:

well actually, there are a LOT of crappy missions. even more so than in the GTA's.

but it's faults are forgivable.
one word: mexico.

Not that this is a shock, but Red Dead Redemption is without a doubt my favorite game of all time. Red Dead is a slow burn of a game. It's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of video games. Not only does the game play require patience and richness, the gunplay is fun as hell too, the map is absolutely a stunning beauty, like GTA there's tons of side games (such as hunting & card games) giving the game replay value, and if you get the Undead Nightmare add-on (is that included in GOTY) you get a whole new story with zombies, like a zombie western, with even better game play and guns and a brilliant atmosphere.

I love just about everything about the game, except... breaking horses. Just a damn irritating job (in real life as well, just fyi) and on the game its just as irritating. The physics don't quite work well, and it takes too long, and really adds NOTHING to the game, other than just trying to be overally technical. The other thing is if you aren't big on soaking up all of the natural land beauty of Red Dead -- those horse rides are gonna be brutal, because short of taking a stagecoach there is literally no faster way to get from place to place. I enjoyed the horse rides because I enjoy nature. It's really as simple as that.

I honestly when life is really tough, am so relaxed by the horse riding on Red Dead. I'll load it up, and ride out to the far west side of the map, over near the Gold Mine and just south of that before Mexico. I don't get ina  rush, I just ride. It's relaxing for me. Never has a game done that for me.

If there was another minor complaint I have, the story is just a tad too long. The ending (without giving it away) works, but for me was anti-climatic. Still it didn't spoil the whole game for me, and the addition of Undead Nightmare kinda rebooted the better taste of the franchise in my mouth. The multiplayer gang hideouts were also alot of fun that were added in the DLC.

Still I absolutely loved the game, and I thought NOTHING would ever top GTA: San Andreas, but Red Dead Redemption did. It's the best ever for me.

smoke

smoke wrote:

I bought it (GOTY) for zombies more than the core game. The completist in me requires that I play the main game first but I'm really there for the Z's.

I'll give it a try at some point but right now I'm totally sucked into Legend of Grim rock on my new computer. Killer old school RPG dungeon crawler.

Of love a full write up if you ever feel like it, but the one you just wrote was pretty good as it stands. Thanks!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's been a few years since i've played it at this point (shockingly for me too). The last time I played it regularly was when Undead Nightmare got released in the Fall of 2010 (perfect timing originally; right in time for Halloween--loved it).

But I did go back and do some shooting n' fun about a year later, but not all the way through both storylines. I think I might do it again this summer after I get done with GTAV for awhile. It'll be hot outside, and fit the tone of the hot, dusty, desert terrain of Red Dead again, and it would be a good time do a fresh write up (like I plan for the Max Payne Trilogy here soon).

I hope it won't be too late. I might already have a write-up deeper in this thread. We also had a Red Dead Redemption thread I thought, can't remember.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hey Smoke, here's our original Red Dead Redemption thread at Evo

It might give you some insight to what we were all thinking at the time playing it new together.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=8356&p=1

smoke

smoke wrote:

Sweet thanks!

Board footer