You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Re: Covid 19

Yamcha wrote:

I want to take this opportunity to publicly thank Batchelors for their wonderful instant noodles that keep me going. 16

I now realise that a lot of my go to food for health crisis is absolutely disgusting. It's so sweet it's horrible. I may as well have 10 spoonful of sugar in my tea rather than a 'healthy' R&J flapjack. I don't think I'll ever want a R&J after this.

Some awesome news:

Centenarian out of hospital after beating coronavirus aged 106

A 106-year-old woman – believed to be Britain’s oldest Covid-19 survivor – has left hospital after shaking off coronavirus and suspected pneumonia.

Connie Titchen, who recovered from a hip operation last year, was applauded by staff at Birmingham’s City Hospital as she was discharged on Tuesday.

The grandmother-of-five and great-grandmother-of-eight, from Birmingham, battled the virus for just under three weeks before being given a clean bill of health by medical staff.

In a statement released by the Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust, the retired department store sales assistant said: “I feel very lucky that I’ve fought off this virus. I can’t wait to see my family.”

Her granddaughter Alex Jones said Connie loved fast food from McDonald’s, but was not yet aware their restaurants are currently closed.

Describing her grandmother as someone who bounces back from anything, Miss Jones said: “She has had a really active life. She loved to dance, cycle and play golf.

“She has always cooked for herself too, although she likes a cheeky McDonald’s every now and then.  I haven’t told her they are closed.

“I think the secret of her old age is that she is physically active and very independent. She had a hip operation back in December and within 30 days she was walking again.”

Miss Jones added: “She really is amazing and I know all the family can’t wait to see her. She has quite a few fans!”

Connie, who was born in 1913, was admitted to City Hospital in mid-March with suspected pneumonia and was diagnosed with coronavirus soon afterwards.

Praising NHS staff, Miss Jones, 40, added: “The care she has received at the hospital has been brilliant and I can’t fault it.

“During her stay I was kept up-to-date constantly by the nurses looking after her which made me feel so happy.

“I want to thank the staff for all they have done for her during her stay.”
Ward sister Kelly Smith added: “It’s been fantastic to see Connie recover. She is amazing and we’ve been doing our best to nurse her back to health.

“We were really pleased when she was given the all-clear. It’s nice to see patients leave our ward after having beaten this virus.”

Stay at home to stop coronavirus spreading - here is what you can and can't do. If you think you have the virus, don't go to the GP or hospital, stay indoors and get advice online. Only call NHS 111 if you cannot cope with your symptoms at home; your condition gets worse; or your symptoms do not get better after seven days. In parts of Wales where 111 isn't available, call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47. In Scotland, anyone with symptoms is advised to self-isolate for seven days. In Northern Ireland, call your GP.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavi … ailsignout

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Yamcha wrote:
misterID wrote:

LOL!

Thought this was a total sausage fest.

Anyway, take care of yourself, girl.

Thank you, ID

And I thought my avatar was girly enough.... 14

We're (mostly) a pretty open-minded group on social issues...there are men that would be well represented by that avatar.

Glad you're feeling better.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Yamcha

I hope u are doing ok

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

I've seen good and bad numbers from different sources on Sweden.  Some of that I think is because like a lot of states, the numbers are being changed after initially being reported.  Has anyone seen anything reliable?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Good news (I think):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … ly-thought

Antibody study suggests coronavirus is far more widespread than previously thought
Non-peer reviewed study from Stanford found rate of virus may be 50 to 85 times higher than official figures

A new study in California has found the number of people infected with coronavirus may be tens of times higher than previously thought.

The study from Stanford University, which was released Friday and has yet to be peer reviewed, tested samples from 3,330 people in Santa Clara county and found the virus was 50 to 85 times more common than official figures indicated.

To ease the sprawling lockdowns currently in place to stop the spread of Covid-19, health officials must first determine how many people have been infected. Large studies of the prevalence of the virus within a region could play a key role, researchers say.

“This has implications for learning how far we are in the course of the epidemic,” said Eran Bendavid, the associate professor of medicine at Stanford University who led the study. “It has implications for epidemic models that are being used to design policies and estimate what it means for our healthcare system.”

The study marks the first large-scale study of its kind, researchers said. The study was conducted by identifying antibodies in healthy individuals through a finger prick test, which indicated whether they had already contracted and recovered from the virus.

At the time of the study, Santa Clara county had 1,094 confirmed cases of Covid-19, resulting in 50 deaths. But based on the rate of people who have antibodies, it is likely that between 48,000 and 81,000 people had been infected in Santa Clara county by early April – a number approximately 50 to 80 times higher.

That also means coronavirus is potentially much less deadly to the overall population than initially thought. As of Tuesday, the US’s coronavirus death rate was 4.1% and Stanford researchers said their findings show a death rate of just 0.12% to 0.2%.

The study has been interpreted by some to mean we are closer to herd immunity – the concept that if enough people in a population have developed antibodies to a disease that population becomes immune – than expected. This would allow some to more quickly get back to work, a strategy currently being deployed in Sweden. But researchers behind the study said not to jump to conclusions or make policy choices until more research has been done.

The study confirms the widely-held belief that far more people than originally thought have been infected with the coronavirus, said Arthur Reingold, an epidemiology professor at UC Berkeley who was not involved in the study, but it doesn’t mean the shelter-in-place order will be lifted any time soon.

“The idea this would be a passport to going safely back to work and getting us up and running has two constraints: we do not know if antibodies protect you and for how long, and a very small percentage of the population even has antibodies,” he said.

Even with the adjusted rate of infection as found by the study, only 3% of the population has coronavirus – that means 97% does not. To reach herd immunity 50% or more of the population would have to be infected and recovered from coronavirus.

It is also unclear if the study, conducted exclusively on residents of Santa Clara county, is representative of the rest of the United States, researchers said.

“It is absolutely critical that similar studies be done all around the country,” said Jayanta Bhattacharya, a professor at Stanford and author on the study. “It’s very clear that the virus is more prevalent in some areas than in others, and understanding the prevalence of viruses in each region is is a critical step forward to making some policy.”

Other large-scale sample studies are currently underway. The National Institute of Health is testing 10,000 people. UC Berkeley is going to test 5,000 healthy volunteers to see if they have, or have ever had, the coronavirus.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I meant to post this the other day:  https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/04/16/g … q_fT1mlUJ0

Far better news. While I can see it being more widespread, thus lowering the fatality & severe infection rate drastically can be looked at as a positive, consider this, each of us has it, then goes over our parents house again quite a bit. My parents are up there, and not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that, although, at some point yeah we're getting back to normal.

I'll admit & I posted it weeks ago I'm pretty sure, it's far more contagious than we initially thought, but it is less deadly than we presumed. It isn't the death sentence we thought it'd be. When Tom Hanks & that first NBA player announced they tested positive, I really thought it was the early days of AIDS (Freddie Mercury, Rock Hudson, Liberace, Robert Reed/Mr Brady). Until Magic & the treatment he was put on almost no one survived it.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I meant to post this the other day:  https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/04/16/g … q_fT1mlUJ0

Far better news. While I can see it being more widespread, thus lowering the fatality & severe infection rate drastically can be looked at as a positive, consider this, each of us has it, then goes over our parents house again quite a bit. My parents are up there, and not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that, although, at some point yeah we're getting back to normal.

I'll admit & I posted it weeks ago I'm pretty sure, it's far more contagious than we initially thought, but it is less deadly than we presumed. It isn't the death sentence we thought it'd be. When Tom Hanks & that first NBA player announced they tested positive, I really thought it was the early days of AIDS (Freddie Mercury, Rock Hudson, Liberace, Robert Reed/Mr Brady). Until Magic & the treatment he was put on almost no one survived it.

Like most things, when the dust settles, the truth is going to be somewhere between the doom and gloom and everything is fine.  I think as time goes on it's leaning closer to the all is fine side, but I think there were more deaths than I thought there would be originally and they aren't done yet.

I do believe we'll look back at this and say we overreacted; having said that what we need to study is why.  If we overreacted, there's nothing we can do about that; it's done.  We can do something about making sure we don't overreact next time while not under-reacting if the situation dictates it next time because we overreacted this time.  There will be a next time.  We're going to need to react appropriately which means not just assuming it's no big deal. 

I also think if it turns out China either did this on purpose or f'd up an experiment, they need to be dealt with by the world (not just us).  It's too early to even think about how as we don't know what happened for real (and may never know)...but we need to take a hard look at this as a group of countries on the same planet.  If we can't figure out how to not have things like this happening, then we need to rethink this global community idea.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

The deaths are just getting started. It takes weeks for many of the sick to die.

It’s tough to say we overreacted if it turns out not as bad as we thought. Perhaps the reaction kept it from being worse? It’s a tough one. But one thing can’t be disputed: people are sick and dying at rates in some cities that is overwhelming hospitals. People dying in hallways, bodies being stacked up in empty rooms. That’s not normal.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

So hard to know what to think right now. On one hand, there are talks of opening up the economy. On the other, there are reports that this thing could come back again in the late summer or fall. Will there be widespread immunity by then?

Such a strange time.

AtariLegend wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

So hard to know what to think right now. On one hand, there are talks of opening up the economy. On the other, there are reports that this thing could come back again in the late summer or fall. Will there be widespread immunity by then?

Such a strange time.

There's not enough evidence to suggest immunity is definitely a thing yet, which means it was really reckless for certain countries not to clamp down asap on this.

You can't tell if there's even medium term immunity when it's only started spreading on mass a few months ago.

Board footer