You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

Re: Matt Sorum's book leaks online.

jonesy wrote:

Seems he still intends to release it:
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-gu … off-jaded/

AtariLegend wrote:

Likely re-drafted.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Likely re-drafted.

I hope it is. While it was an interesting read it was also badly written and amateurish.

Drop the details about screwing chicks, no-one wants to read that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Personally I think people do want a few salacious details...if it's done well.....they were rockstars famous for excess ansd craziness...so you want to read a bit about that lifestyle...but it needs to come off fun so you can picture what it would have been like....as it stood it didn't feel like a finished work...and it also kinda ended leaving a bad taste...as he said in that link above...a little more bitter than he probably actually is.

Be interesting to see if he edits out some of the details about getting fucked over by the others though.

Matt's always been a straight talker...and not one to shy away from his achievements or telling others when they are wrong...so his book was always going to be a rough ride in GNR world. But to me it's a valuable insight into the other side of the coin.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Matt’s a cunt.

Always has been always will be.

Gets far too much credit for what he was. A touring drummer with the band.

He did nothing creative and has no original songwriting credit in the band.

Like I could give a fuck what this guy says.

He makes his career in Guns to be something more than it was. He was a replacement that did nothing creative wise, toured the world with the band, and that’s that.

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, he did play drums on the Illusion albums and TSI. I don’t like him either but he was more than a touring drummer.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Adler likely did all the leg work on the Illusions.

This leads us to playing in a covers album.

Again Sorum has no songwriting credits with the band.

He’s a poor man’s Josh Freese.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I read through most of the GNR section of his book today.  The interesting thing is that it basically paints Slash as being sort of a two face and Duff as spineless (sound familiar?).

Speaking of which, one of the last chapters of the book is about Duff and let's just say I lost a lot of respect for him.  He even bad mouths Frank (Duff does).  I ended up empathizing a lot with Matt Sorum (not my favorite GNR member)  during that entire chapter.  Just brutal to read.

The Frank part to me reeks of sour grapes but I haven’t read it. Any more detail?

No doubt it's mostly sour grapes.
He's not wrong, though. I don't know exactly what it is... but he ruins every song in some goofball way.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I think the reason Matt isn’t involved is primarily personality related. I’m sure both Axl and Slash knew their reunion would be tenuous to begin with, so why add a personality who could disrupt the apple cart?

With Izzy and Steven, I think there’s an element that they didn’t want to book however many dates, selling these guys as a part of the package, when they couldn’t be trusted to make it through it.

Ok you want to say they could get a better session drummer to fill in, whatever. But it was never going to be Matt or Steven.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

So Matt Sorum, a non-original member, got to speak at this thing? On television? Yeesh.

It was a cluster fuck. I haven't watched it since it happened but I'm pretty sure Adler was standing right next to him when he said it.

It was uncalled for and he had no right to say it. Everybody knows why Sorum got the job. I think they laughed it off but that's beside the point.

Slash should've interrupted him and told him to shut up.

While Slash never understood the leverage he had, Sorum never seemed to understand his place...the bottom of the totem pole.

Sorum's peacocking aside... He's never understood that they all only ever thought of him as an "additional musician"

I'd still take him instead of Frank. In an instant. Frank is dogshit. I haven't touched a drum kit in over a decade and could play that setlist better than him right now.

Board footer