You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Sucks Ginsburg is dead.  She was a genius jurist and one of the finest to sit the bench.  But I'm glad she won't be one of the 9 anymore.  If only "The Wise Latina (her words, not mine)" would vanish too.

And because I want to contribute as much intellectually as the rest of you....

These contradicting few dozen words is a disturbing insight into your psyche....

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

They did vote on it! https://www.vox.com/2020/9/10/21429678/ … blicans%20

Ya know...a stimulus that only helped a few republican supporters and giant businesses isn’t what’s needed. Again, a severely lacking stimulus package that Dems shouldn’t vote for until the people they represent are included in the stimulus.

If you think that makes chuck and Nancy responsible then i guess that’s one  way to look at it.

What don't you understand about "blocking the vote?"

"Democrats blocked a Senate Republican proposal on Thursday that would provide aid to Americans during the coronavirus pandemic. The Senate Republican measure failed to pass through the cloture vote, with 52 Republicans in favor of the motion to invoke cloture and 47 Democrats against the motion."

"The bill was defeated in a 52-47 vote, not meeting the 60 needed to break the Democratic filibuster, a mechanism requiring three-fifths of the chamber to agree to end the debate and allow a final vote."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol … 762727002/

Yes, Chuck and Nancy MUST work with the Senate and WH, and they're waiting to see how the election plays out instead, and that's just perfectly wonderful and awesome, I guess.

But what don't you understand about Democrats not just voting for any damn thing that the Republicans call a stimulus? And by my measure it's working because the stimulus packages has increased by 2-3 times based on most recent reports of a negotiated package.

Unless maybe you're on the side of the LA Lakers needing another few million....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Dems HAVE to get it passed through the Republican Senate and WH, they don't get to dictate the stipulations, which is why they are refusing to bring up a vote, mitch. They are stalling for the election. That is not "negotiating."

misterID

misterID wrote:

The progressive talk is more frightening than anything Trump has said. He's an idiot, they're not. They're very competent. And they're now openly talking about installing a permanent one party rule, if given the chance. I can't think of anything else that would push people to vote for him.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime … m.amp.html

Great article from Ginsburg in 2016 on replacing justices in an election year:

Asked if the Senate had an obligation to assess Judge Garland’s qualifications, her answer was immediate.

“That’s their job,” she said. “There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”

Do we not respect her wishes?  Do we continue to pretend most people have any ideological consistency?

misterID

misterID wrote:

She was strongly against packing the court, also.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Dems HAVE to get it passed through the Republican Senate and WH, they don't get to dictate the stipulations, which is why they are refusing to bring up a vote, mitch. They are stalling for the election. That is not "negotiating."

It is negotiating...it really is...

This $1.5 trillion version has a legitimate chance...the previous one never did.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Still no acknowledgement that Trump has selected 3 supreme court judges in all sketchy and strange circumstances...

anymore chatter about the hypocrisy of the imageinary people who supported McConnell in 2016 but not this time...or whatever bizarre twilight zone interpretation...

There's roughly 15-20 Senators flipping their stances...those people are definitely not the hypocrites...

The Dems raised something like $69 million in 24 hours after these hypocrites spoke out just hours after RBG dying. Her body wasn't even cold yet and McConnell is announcing there'll be a new supreme court nominee vote.

Hypocrites everywhere...

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:

Still no acknowledgement that Trump has selected 3 supreme court judges in all sketchy and strange circumstances...

What does this mean?  Obama nominated Garland and McConnell, a Republican, refused to hold a vote. I disagreed with not holding a vote, but the GOP senate was under no obligation to vote yes for whom Obama nominated. Yet the left calls this a stolen seat. How was it stolen - does the constitution require a rubber stamp senate?  If that’s the case.....

Kennedy retired. Trump nominated Kavanaugh. We saw what your party did in 2018. It reached a whole new level of poor behavior. They accused the man of raping a woman who couldn’t remember any details, and her own friend who was there called her wrong. Yet your party tried to use #MeToo to keep Kavanaugh from being seated.

Where is the sketchy circumstance?  Can you elaborate and not ignore my question for once?  You made a pretty radical claim.

I’m unaware a 3rd justice has been seated. Quit reading the tailor made articles that pop up in your yahoo feed.

mitchejw wrote:

Hypocrites everywhere...

You’re finally learning

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

It is negotiating...it really is...

This $1.5 trillion version has a legitimate chance...the previous one never did.

Providing billions in rent and to Democratic cities has zero chance of being passed. Manage your cities better, and don’t allow violent, far- left activist to destroy storefronts and you’ll save millions.

Pelosi’s own party is turning on her. And Democrats are promising to remove the filibuster (while using it Trump’s entire 4 years) the moment they get power. Your party is openly saying they’ll change the rules and stuff the court if elected. That should terrify any intelligent person, but I see a bunch of people cheering it on. Do you have any convictions, or do the ends justify the means?

Board footer