You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

A reminder why they hate Sinema and have turned the entire media propagandist machine against her, including late night "comedy" tv, is because she wants to pass the trillion and a half dollar bipartisan infrastructure bill first, then debate the details of their separate three trillion dollar progressive wish list that is not bipartisan, instead of forcing it through.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Falls on deaf ears when it becomes obvious  what a tiny fraction of the military budget this is that no one EVER criticizes.

We’ll throw money into the furnaces and expect nothing in return from the military…but fuck the infrastructure bill.

Sinema has other plans and will watch Biden go down to achieve them. 2024?

misterID

misterID wrote:

I've noticed a bunch of progressives on Twitter pushing the military budget line recently, which they're forgetting to mention is only about 15% of our discretionary spending. We can debate that all you want, and the fact a lot of the budget goes into R&D which is classified (China just shot a nuclear-capable hypersonic middle around the globe, btw). I mean, it's a good political trick for suckers to evade and not address the topic, okay, but that shtick won't fly here.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I've noticed a bunch of progressives on Twitter pushing the military budget line recently, which they're forgetting to mention is only about 15% of our discretionary spending. We can debate that all you want, and the fact a lot of the budget goes into R&D which is classified (China just shot a nuclear-capable hypersonic middle around the globe, btw). I mean, it's a good political trick for suckers to evade and not address the topic, okay, but that shtick won't fly here.

oh really...what will fly here?

China fear baiting?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Aw … b&fr=yfp-t

This guy will run again at Trump's endorsementremember when you said Biden was too old to run for office? Funny how we pick and choose, isn't it?

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

What kinds of shortages are people seeing?

I am noticing some bare shelves at the grocery stores: Dairy, some cuts of meat, bottled water in larger sizes). Home improvement stores (Home Depot/Lowes) seem ok.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Labor shortages? I find this article so interesting on this topic:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worker-flori … 23909.html

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:

Labor shortages? I find this article so interesting on this topic:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worker-flori … 23909.html

What do you find interesting about it?  An unskilled, inexperienced worker who admitted he ran a Facebook group admonishing those who can’t get applicants for jobs, was “interviewed” by Business Insider. That alone makes both the subject and publisher suspect as an objective information source, but ok, to each their own. He then says he “applied” to 60 jobs, and received 9 emails and an interview. The places and jobs he applied for are never specified, save the garbage collection job paying $10 an hour.

Do you not feel his hostility towards working at any of these places since he specifically sought them out factored into his applications and demands?  Does his lack of any skill or education not speak to his worthiness of earning an unspecified wage over $12 an hour?

What did you find interesting about his story? 

Or was it his comment “ 58 applications says y'all aren't desperate for workers, you just miss your slaves." just a sentiment you agree with? 

I’ve read the article you posted, and don’t find it to be particularly interesting, and more importantly informative. The writer says so themselves:

“ Holz acknowledged, however, that his results may not be representative of the larger labor challenges in the country, since his search was local and specifically targeted the most vocal critics of stimulus spending.”

What I find interesting is that this entire article is predicated on a goof some random person on the internet did, and doesn’t really offer anything but animus to the notion that the restaurant industry isn’t struggling to find reliable wait staff, and/or their lack of applicants is due to poor pay under the unqualified assumption that every person should be paid at least “X” for their labor. I say “X” because the author nor interviewee ever state an appropriate wage for picking up trash. The popular slogan previously was $15, but the so called “squad” has already adjusted that number to $25+.

I say interesting because you say you want to participate in discussions, but often completely ignore the posts of people you’re choosing to engage with daily. You do you and all. I’m just genuinely curious what you found interesting about this article and what aspects of it you’d like to discuss.

I’ve clearly read the article you linked into this discussion and said you found interesting. I hope you’ll at least give some effort in responding since you want to be part of the discussion.

misterID

misterID wrote:

China fear baiting 14

ClaudeF wrote:

What kinds of shortages are people seeing?

I am noticing some bare shelves at the grocery stores: Dairy, some cuts of meat, bottled water in larger sizes). Home improvement stores (Home Depot/Lowes) seem ok.

Dairy, but I'm lucky we have a local dairy here. Not too bad, but like you, I've heard of shortages.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Progressive America, expect less big_smile

*waiting for the "but Trump hvukvjhvihvuvivuyvjv!!!" response any second*

Board footer