You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

Mitch had to wait to make sure the shooter was white. He didn't say anything about the dude who committed mass murder with his car, and he loves talking about Wisconsin!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Anyone who has read the premise of the legal briefs for SCOTUS looking at Roe and Casey wish to express an opinion?

I’m heavily torn on this. I’m an advocate for abortion rights and agree that the 14th amendment protects the right to an abortion, but believe 40 week viable fetus abortions are horrific. The US has the most  unrestrictive  abortion laws in the world. Casey’s update to flaws identified in Roe are just as flawed today in my opinion. Viability can’t be the standard as that window is a moving target and will eventually occur immediately after conception. A 24 week old baby born without 21st century medical equipment has nearly no viability outside the womb, and it seems reasonable to assume late 21st century technology will make the viability threshold significantly lower. They’re already growing lambs in artificial wombs, so humans can’t be far off.

So with that flaw in mind, I do think a 15 week ban may be constitutional. If 90% of abortions occur before week 13, an extra 2 seems like a reasonable restriction to me. But I’ve known women who chose to abort at very late stages because some severe deformity or genetic defect was detected that would render the baby unviable after birth or the quality of life so abysmal that most people couldn’t stomach watching a child suffer that way. And I think that exception is important to protect.

Does anyone have a different perspective on Casey and where/when a viability demarcation can be moved beyond the 24 week threshold?

15 weeks to me seems to more than enough time to get the abortion. Most assume this will reverse RvW and send it back to the states

misterID

misterID wrote:

I think if you truly believe in science, then a fetus having consciousness and feeling pain matters. But we have to acknowledge a lot of these pro lifers want all abortion banned, from the morning after pill to a 14 year-old girl who was raped. Some even want birth control banned. It's a real slippery slope when you're dealing with bad faith people. A states ideological right should not trump an individual's right to have an abortion, imo.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

I think if you truly believe in science, then a fetus having consciousness and feeling pain matters. But we have to acknowledge a lot of these pro lifers want all abortion banned, from the morning after pill to a 14 year-old girl who was raped. Some even want birth control banned. It's a real slippery slope when you're dealing with bad faith people. A states ideological right should not trump an individual's right to have an abortion, imo.

I don’t disagree, but both Roe and Casey said “viability” was the standard. In Roe, it was allowed up until the third trimester (27 weeks). Casey changed that to 24 weeks, which in 1992 resulted in a 50% mortality rate with the best technology available. In 2021, that is now 60-70% survival rate depending on what study you look at. If 50% is the threshold with modern medicine, some articles I’ve read put that at 22 weeks. That’s why the viability requirement originally used in Roe is problematic, viability cutoff will continue to become less and less as technology advances.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, the sonogram technology alone is going to turn this on its head.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I have noticed the "My body, my choice!" rhetoric is eerily absent this time from Pro-Choice advocates.  Wonder if it has to do with their support of vaccine mandates?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I’m hoping gun rights activists support the shooter in Michigan and his parents….MAGA fucking tard

What i notice most is gun rights activists suddenly so  silent…

I had a friend just obtain TBI from a defective gun…he’s disintegrated  before my very eyes…shotgun blew up in his face….

Hoorah for me and fuck you

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I have noticed the "My body, my choice!" rhetoric is eerily absent this time from Pro-Choice advocates.  Wonder if it has to do with their support of vaccine mandates?

Weird way to interpret this….either way….i won’t hire an unvaccinated fuck…

misterID

misterID wrote:

So, they're charging the parents of the MI shooter with manslaughter. Good. This went far beyond enabling a pretty clearly sick kid, they willfully encouraged it, imo. They had the opportunity to stop t that morning when they were called in because of his behavior. They left The gun where he could get it. The mother and son obviously have some issues.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-gunman- … 06966.html

Anyone who makes this about Trump is an idiot. Unless you call out BLM for the Wisconsin massacre, shut up.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

So, they're charging the parents of the MI shooter with manslaughter. Good. This went far beyond enabling a pretty clearly sick kid, they willfully encouraged it, imo. They had the opportunity to stop t that morning when they were called in because of his behavior. They left The gun where he could get it. The mother and son obviously have some issues.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-gunman- … 06966.html

Anyone who makes this about Trump is an idiot. Unless you call out BLM for the Wisconsin massacre, shut up.

Yeah the parents are pure trash just like the parents of Brian Laundrie.

Board footer