You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2022/03/02 … itary-past

How many lives killed by Putin will the West accept before sending troops to save the innocent? 5,000? 10,000? 50,000? 100,000?

Lmao…fuck Trump

Didn't your boy want to end being the world's police? My goodness you sure are fickle....

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

4-FFCB921-ACE1-4146-83-DB-C5730-B45-D664.jpg

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The man is threatening nukes. 135 countries denounced him today while only 4 others praised him. But the reality is only the US has a military capable of taking on Russia. What EU leaders think once that line is crossed is irrelevant, they don’t get to be part of the discussion. Military action by the US runs a very high chance of nuclear strikes. When the power grid is out and you have to scavenge and hunt to feed you and yours, will you really care what is happening 10k mikes away?

I hate to be part of the “told you so” crowd, but I’ve been bitching about this inevitably for the past 20 years. Europe has been derelict in their defense for decades and only matter on the global market as consumers. You don’t have Omar’s and AOC’s trashing their nation in Russia, nor do you have millions of followers who think their opinions are righteous.

Westerners with full bellies can wave flags and change their Facebook photos, but they don’t have a clue about real conflict. And they’ll eagerly follow whatever person make them feel comfortable and safe -COVID proved this.

We’re talking about nuclear war. WW3. Since they’ll recall my ass if that happens, I’m a little resentful of folks who want to pretend to be tough while others get bloody for their values that they won’t defend or sacrifice for.

Sounds like we should take out Putin before he takes out the world. Isn’t Putin forever tainted now?

And how does that happen? You think we can just shoot a bullet from space?  You want to drone strike him?

This isn’t North Korea. If Putin has a stroke tonight, Russia isn’t going to turn 180. I’m not discounting his personal influence, but he’s not acting in a vacuum. If Putin “took out” Biden, do you think Harris would not level Moscow? Why would the Russians be more reserved than the Americans?

Look at how pundits and opposing party leadership responded when Trump took out an Iranian General who was responsible for direct attacks on Americans, and you’re advocating we assassinate a world leader. How do you think that plays out?

The West is doing what it realistically can to hurt Putin without war. I’m shocked Germany ended its pipeline deal, but we’ll see how that actually plays out versus what sounds good in the media. Germany isn’t just going to watch 50% of their energy vanish and no amount of solar or wind can replace that much oil and gas.

End all trade, boycott Russia.  Deny visas to their citizens. Sign me up for all that. But you’re advocating WW3 for a nation and continent that doesn’t give a fuck about you or me and mocks us behind our backs. I don’t want to risk nuclear war because Europe has pretended to be above the realities of the world the past 70 years.

We have enough people in America who think millions of unskilled illiterate migrants crossing our boarders illegally each year is a non issue. Geniuses who think we should defund the police and military to give crackheads a condo with free internet. People who think rioting and looting are political discourse. The last thing I want to do is throw more chaos and idiocy into the mix outside my own front door.

Kill the head of the snake. Putin is losing popularity fast. This is the world’s best moment to remove him. Him gone would be best for all. But you assume the next man up would be just as bad. Maybe. Right now our position is do nothing basically because with no troops on the ground we are just praying this doesn’t get too bad. Fear is all Putin has going for him.  We fear he would use a Nuke on somebody. What a shitty way to live and reward this bad behavior.

You almost have to have a back up gov’t in place ready to go should such a move happen. This guy is far more dangerous than little Rocket Man. But now all the bad actors with Nukes will see that as long as they have cash they can do whatever they want.

I hope we just wait it out and this ends soon with little loss of life.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

SG, do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? We either stay out of the conflict, outside sending missiles and aid, or we get involved, begin a third world war with possible nukes, where thousands of deaths from a regional conflict now goes up to millions of deaths from a world conflict. How do we benefit from that? Why is Ukraine so important to you guys so suddenly that you would risk that? What vital interest do we have there that would justify death on a global scale?

And real-life isn't an eighties action film. Dropping a SEAL team in Moscow would only get all of them killed and give Putin the justification to do whatever the hell he wants.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

SG, do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? We either stay out of the conflict, outside sending missiles and aid, or we get involved, begin a third world war with possible nukes, where thousands of deaths from a regional conflict now goes up to millions of deaths from a world conflict. How do we benefit from that? Why is Ukraine so important to you guys so suddenly that you would risk that? What vital interest do we have there that would justify death on a global scale?

And real-life isn't an eighties action film. Dropping a SEAL team in Moscow would only get all of them killed and give Putin the justification to do whatever the hell he wants.

My post ended with us doing nothing and hoping for the best. That said, yes, the world is better off with Putin gone.

Do I think the full might of our military could crush Russia? Yes. They (Russia) are trying to fight a traditional war. We could take out all their tanks and shit in Ukraine in one fucking day. The Russian army isn’t even fully engaged mentally. The only card Putin has is “nukes”. The rest of his military is trash. Let’s be honest.

I guess let’s see what happens over the next couple days. The sanctions will start taking effect the people of Russia are going to want Putin gone. But they still have a shit pile of Nationalists that would love unification of the old USSR. Just like the old Germans that were complicit of the Nazi’s, the modern day Russians are largely complicit of Putin.

Randall Flagg

Russia only has their armored vehicles in a 40 mile convoy cause Ukraine lacks air power. They wouldn’t move like that if they were concerned about enemy fighters and bombers.

I honestly don’t know how our Army would fair against a traditional ground war. We haven’t fought one since Vietnam. Our air power is what destroyed the Iraqi army in days. The remains of the war was an insurgency, very similar to what Russia will endure if they plan to be occupiers.

And you can’t take nukes out of the equation. This isn’t axis and Allie’s. I have no idea if the  Star Wars shit we’ve built can intercept nukes. The test results I’m aware of aren’t that favorable. And Putin has hypersonic missiles that allegedly our military can’t defend against. This isn’t an iron dome shooting down rockets and mortars. Putin doesn’t even need to detonate nukes in major cities. 6-9 strategically placed conventional bombs on our 70 year old power grid knocks out power for the entire nation. What do you think happens in NYC or Chicago when people can’t get their soy latte’s or Grubhub?  Millions of people with an inadequate food supply that spoils in days. Any notion of civility vanishes in a microsecond. And the people that brag “I’ve never touched a gun” will have a come to Jesus watershed moment instantly. Putin doesn’t need to nuke the US to keep us out of the fight, he just needs to pull the blindfold off our eyes to the reality of the world and struggle.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-passes … 54814.html

Those tough Republicans....always so shrewd.

Randall Flagg

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democr … ter-racist

Better than 44 Democrats filibustering sanctions on Russia just a few weeks ago.  I'm sure your concern and objectivity won't be impaired.

3/213 vs 44/50

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democr … ter-racist

Better than 44 Democrats filibustering sanctions on Russia just a few weeks ago.  I'm sure your concern and objectivity won't be impaired.

3/213 vs 44/50

Oooo more Fox News…love being lectured by someone about objectivity and posts a Fox News article.

I’m sure you get a real fair and Umbiased view from a network that allows trump to suck Putins dick live on air.

Oh wait…you’ll man’splain  why that’s not what he did/does.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Fox news made Democrats vote against sanctions?

Mansplain? You're a living breathing woke pitiful political blog.

Board footer