You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: What was better on the official release than the locker leaks?

exoterica wrote:

I wrote a post on this somewhere.

The only one I think is definitively better is Prostitute.

I’d LOVE to hear the RTB version of it.

Sky Dog wrote:
misterID wrote:

The songs are over produced, but anything missing Buckethead just feels incomplete. bucket

Money

Sky Dog wrote:

I taking back my earlier post. Madagascar from 99-2000 is better than the album version. So, I only have three better on the album.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:

I wrote a post on this somewhere.

The only one I think is definitively better is Prostitute.

I’d LOVE to hear the RTB version of it.

I actually prefer the demo version in some ways, 'cos you can hear those "wee-oo" synths under the second verse better.

elevendayempire

gavgnr wrote:

TWAT stands out for me. The release version is perfect for me

My favourite version of TWAT is the… second leak? I think? It's the one where it has the big outro solo but doesn't have Bumblefoot on the choruses (and, crucially, playing single chords with distortion over the "Yeah there was a time" bit – I much prefer the strummed guitar on those bits, which I think was played by Axl himself IIRC).

Sky Dog wrote:

On point, in the end, some really great songs got cluttered up by way too many guitars. The songs and feel of the 2000 version is infinitely better than the Frankenstein version we got. The guitars basically drowned out the rhythm section of Stinson and Freese/Brain plus the cool synth and keyboard of Dizzy/Mother Goose. Arghhhh.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

To this day I have no idea why BBF played a single note on CD. It was not needed and he made the songs worse. His solo material isn't bad tho

Sky Dog wrote:

In all honesty, Bumble and Fortus and Frank...not knocking their talent but  the songs in 2000 only needed Bucket’s huge solos.

elevendayempire

Sky Dog wrote:

On point, in the end, some really great songs got cluttered up by way too many guitars. The songs and feel of the 2000 version is infinitely better than the Frankenstein version we got. The guitars basically drowned out the rhythm section of Stinson and Freese/Brain plus the cool synth and keyboard of Dizzy/Mother Goose. Arghhhh.

Yeah, in retrospect what they should've done was get Bucket to add his flourishes to the 2000 version, and then release that. Based on the fact that Paul Huge didn't really like touring, they should've just gone with a Bucket/Finck two-guitar line-up, or if that results in a clash of egos between two lead guitar players, a Bucket/some other rhythm player line-up. Since, with the best will in the world, Finck's solos are not beyond the scope of Bucket's abilities.

Like, the 2000 version is pretty much bang-on apart from the fact that it's missing stuff like Bucket's second Chinese Democracy solo, the Finck I.R.S. solo being moved up and the Bucket solo at the end.

The one thing I really liked from Bumblefoot's additions was the fretless in Chinese Democracy and tbh it's not really that necessary if you listen to the 2000 mix. It's propulsive enough on its own with the bass and synth driving the verses.

Board footer