You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Taliban control of Afghanistan on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

He's incompetent.

I wish we had a VP with actual experience and who had some respect.

I'd say let Biden sit at home in his rocking chair and the VP could run things like Cheney.

Yeah, you're right.  Biden who voted for the Iraq war and served on the various committees like Foreign Affairs and Armed Services, so he should have a clue about this stuff.  He's no neophyte.  He's a hawk.  Disappointing really.

Instead, this shit is coming off like amateur hour.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Is it true that Trump released from captive, among many, the person that’s currently leading al-qaeda?

No, he killed the last leader of Al Qaeda: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51409581

Maybe you meant, Taliban.  In which case, still no. 

Since you like politifact, here is an article that addresses your claim:
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 … -role-rel/

Intelligence experts thought he was the most rational leader to lead the Taliban, and so he was released from containment in Pakistan by Pakistan.  And sure enough, he's now a senior leader in the Taliban.

Was that your attempt at a pot shot based off a far left site you read, or do you really not know how to google things?  I have a hunch it's the former with your inability to condemn Biden for any transgression and desire to blame Trump for every wrong, real or perceived. 

Is there another candidate you'd like to be leading the Taliban?  And you really should do some research before conflating the Taliban with Al Qaeda.

Nah…i think I’m just gonna back to not caring.

I feel bad for the refugees but this was a shit storm decades in the making…i neither have the time nor the desire to research the last damn near 50 years. Especially when it will result in nothing.

I’m gonna hold my kids a bit tighter the next few days and move on.

I don't think you understand how awful this post is. I mean, after all this talk about morality for four years, you're not giving a shit about this historic catastrophe because it's politically inconvenient for "your guy." It's not just you, I'm seeing a lot of Biden voters saying far more callous things. It's just the same talking points being said as what you're saying, and the stark turnaround from last year and what wasn't tolerated is just astounding. This isn't about the history of Afghanistan, the war, the last twenty years, or even refugees. There are over ten thousand Americans stranded behind enemy lines and we're not doing dick to get them. If you don't care about that, why do you care about anything?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No, he killed the last leader of Al Qaeda: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51409581

Maybe you meant, Taliban.  In which case, still no. 

Since you like politifact, here is an article that addresses your claim:
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 … -role-rel/

Intelligence experts thought he was the most rational leader to lead the Taliban, and so he was released from containment in Pakistan by Pakistan.  And sure enough, he's now a senior leader in the Taliban.

Was that your attempt at a pot shot based off a far left site you read, or do you really not know how to google things?  I have a hunch it's the former with your inability to condemn Biden for any transgression and desire to blame Trump for every wrong, real or perceived. 

Is there another candidate you'd like to be leading the Taliban?  And you really should do some research before conflating the Taliban with Al Qaeda.

I feel bad for the refugees but this was a shit storm decades in the making…i neither have the time nor the desire to research the last damn near 50 years. Especially when it will result in nothing.

I don't think you understand how awful this post is. I mean, after all this talk about morality for four years, you're not giving a shit about this historic catastrophe because it's politically inconvenient for "your guy." It's not just you, I'm seeing a lot of Biden voters saying far more callous things. It's just the same talking points being said as what you're saying, and the stark turnaround from last year and what wasn't tolerated is just astounding .

Fair point…but until the discussion turns more analytical and less about blaming one person for decades of foreign policy failures then I’ll just wait out the histrionics.

I’ll continue to say so long as Trump is the shadow puppet I’ll not consider the GOP in any capacity to be a relevant party.

Syria was destroyed. Now Afghanistan is a mess…

I’d really like to see these conflicts come to an end. Lotsa people made profits off of this conflict continuing.

Can someone succinctly describe to me what the goal was in 2021?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

"I don't give a shit to learn about this conflict, I'm just going to stop caring. Time to move on."

The 12 year old Afghan girl who is about to watch her Dad get beheaded for assisting the allied forces before she's raped from daylight to dawn for the rest of her life, she doesn't get to move on.

You vote for the people who make these decisions, you go on and on about how the last guy was bad and how awful and dangerous his foreign policy was. When the consequences of your guy's foreign policy blows up you don't get to check out and then swan back in later for the next event.

This disaster did not have to be decades in the making. And at the least, those who helped the coalition forces deserves some thanks, rescue and respect.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Fair point…but until the discussion turns more analytical and less about blaming one person for decades of foreign policy failures then I’ll just wait out the histrionics.

I’ll continue to say so long as Trump is the shadow puppet I’ll not consider the GOP in any capacity to be a relevant party.

Syria was destroyed. Now Afghanistan is a mess…

I’d really like to see these conflicts come to an end. Lotsa people made profits off of this conflict continuing.

Can someone succinctly describe to me what the goal was in 2021?

Syria has been ruled by one family since the 70s. It erupted into a civil war in the wake of the Arab Spring that then became even more of a mess when ISIS entered the fray. That conflict is still ongoing, but Syria has not been "destroyed".

It is still internationally recognised as being run by the same government that has been in charge for decades now. It is not a war that is directly the fault of the USA or the West (although a case could be made about indirect fault). The US's primary involvement in this conflict has been in fighting ISIS, and has mostly remained out of the main conflict - although it clearly has a side that it backs.

Why are you conflating these two? They are not the same. You want "more analytical" discussion. How about you read up and follow the news.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Then open your hearts to refugees...of all kinds...

The reason I don't care to learn any more about this than I already have is because it's all just fodder to explain to me why what's happening now is so wrong...

Other than that...I"ve got nothing to say...we're bailing now like we did in Syria...

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Gladly. Not a problem.

The reason I don't care to learn any more about this than I already have is because it's all just fodder to explain to me why what's happening now is so wrong...

Trying to understand what you tried to write there...

You don't want to learn or know about this conflict, because that knowledge only exists to inform you about the negative consequences of the current situation....

WTF kind of wilful ignorance bullshit is that?!

Other than that...I"ve got nothing to say...we're bailing now like we did in Syria...

The US involvement in Syria is not comparable at all to the almost two decade long engagement in Afghanistan. Why the fuck do you keep bringing it up?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Gladly. Not a problem.

Trying to understand what you tried to write there...

You don't want to learn or know about this conflict, because that knowledge only exists to inform you about the negative consequences of the current situation....

WTF kind of wilful ignorance bullshit is that?!

The US involvement in Syria is not comparable at all to the almost two decade long engagement in Afghanistan. Why the fuck do you keep bringing it up?

No...the knowledge I've had since I was 19...it didn't matter then and it doesn't seem to matter now...I care a lot...but I was vocally against Iraq then and I wasn't cool for doing it...pick your choice of reasons...

All these other things that spawned as a result of that is how I view it...One thing and then another...tired of being told I Just need to learn about it....to no end...learn more, understand more....If Iraq was to be our 51st state, Afghanistan our 52nd....this never came....

so what was the point?

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

Dude, about a page or so back you didn't know the difference between Al-Qaeda and the Taliban. Seems like it would be a good idea for you to know more.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of Biden voters saying far more callous things. It's just the same talking points being said as what you're saying, and the stark turnaround from last year and what wasn't tolerated is just astounding. This isn't about the history of Afghanistan, the war, the last twenty years, or even refugees. There are over ten thousand Americans stranded behind enemy lines and we're not doing dick to get them. If you don't care about that, why do you care about anything?

CNN had an “analysis” earlier that was titled “When did you last think of Afghanistan?”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/opinions … index.html

This organization along with many others earned their audience preaching fear and telling them that Trump would bring WW3. He ended ISIS and withdrew the bulk of American forces, leaving small contingents as we have in Iraq since 2011. He got 3 or 4 Arab nations to recognize Israel. He held talks with Kim and got the guy to quit shooting rockets over Japan. No one is talking about North Korean nukes. He negotiated a deal to stop combat operations with the Taliban, and set a time table for a full withdrawal.

The American media can’t hide what a collosal fuck up this is, but they’re bending over themselves to make excuses on how they’re not looking like fools for soft balling and singing praise of this administration. Even going so far as to tell us Afghanistan and this colossal fuck up don’t really matter, cause it’s just Afghanistan. It was already fucked, so botching a withdrawal and putting 10k Americans at the direct mercy of the Taliban, who we just learned Biden is engaged in daily negotiations with, isn’t worth much consideration, culpability, and accountability.

After the scrutiny and tone directed at the former President for his international relations, you have to be a real sycophant to not find issue with the current President and the direct danger he’s directly responsible for putting 10k+ of his citizens in.

To say this isn’t important or worth caring about…. Jesus Christ.

Board footer