You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Tragic Celebrity Death?

James wrote:

As far as lost potential goes....not necessarily how they died.

I have to go with River Phoenix. Dead at 23.... still a kid basically.

So much potential....gone.

I think this is one of those deaths that altered the course of Hollywood history. If his star continued to rise, there's less room for someone like McConaughey to break through when he did. In fact, I can easily picture Phoenix in his breakthrough role....A Time To Kill.  I can also see him becoming an action star like his best bud Keanu.

He could've impacted Bale and DiCaprio's career... although I don't think anything was stopping DiCaprio.

Next on my list is John Candy. I know he didn't leave on a high note...his last two movies not very good IMO....he had so much more to offer. We barely got a taste of his dramatic side.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

DiCaprio owes his entire career to River Phoenix. The role of Jack in Titanic was written for River. Can you imagine what would have happened? The other was Heath Ledger.

My number one is James Dean.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I’ll put in an underdog vote for Jani Lane.

He was becoming a fantastic songwriter and is a really good “singer” too as well as being a hype man/frontman.

The demos that have leaked after his death are pretty phenomenal.

Yeah he’s the Cherry Pie guy, but we all know the famous story that the album was going to be called Uncle Toms Cabin and lead with that single, which already was a light years leap subject wise from the first Warrant album.

I miss what he would have done.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Cliff Burton.

History of Metallica is totally different if he lives.

James

James wrote:

Totally forgot James Dean. Yeah that's a big one. Might have been a game changer in the 60s.

On the subject of DiCaprio, another young actor's untimely death opened more doors for him as well..... Jonathan Brandis. Brandis was severely depressed over his stalled career and wasn't patient enough to wait for an opening which leads to his comeback.

DiCaprio knew he was a threat....which is why him and his posse shit all over Brandis at some event right before he killed himself.

Music....

Otis Redding

MASSIVE loss.

Sam Cooke is in this category as well but Redding was just on another level.

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Cliff Burton.

History of Metallica is totally different if he lives.

Yeah this is a big one.

Having said that....

I am in the minority who believes a sellout happens even if he lives. It happens sooner or maybe later than 91...but whatever happens, it's different.

Post 86, it was the James and Lars show. If Cliff is alive, that dynamic never takes shape.

Jani Lane....

Tragic no doubt. He was Warrant's Trent Reznor....it's ALL him.

Unfortunately I don't think he had a comeback in him. If he gets clean and the planets align...maybe.

There's no example of the 80s hair band guys making a big comeback in the 21st century.

It would've been a steep mountain to climb.

James

James wrote:

Technically not a celebrity....on a large scale anyways....but I have to mention him.

Ben Wilson

The top high school basketball player in the country in 1984. Shot  by a random worthless piece of shit. I read about him years ago. Sad story.

It would be like Michael Jordan being murdered in 1980.

Edit

There's an ESPN doc about him. I'm gonna watch it tonight.

Trailer....

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Jim Morrison.  Riders on The Storm is the last track he recorded before his death.  If that was the kind of material The Doors were going to be putting out, he's at the top of the list of lost talent.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I have to go with my boy: Dennis Wilson.

The Beach Boys would never do Kokomo with him in the band.

They’d still be doing creative weird shit.

He’s the soul of the band. Carl’s the voice. Brian’s everything.

And yeah Otis Redding is such a big one.

I’ll add Buddy Holly up there too!

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I was going to go with Hendrix but I think Flagg's one of Morrison is better.

If we are going NBA isn't it always going to be Len Bias?  Guy was supposed to help or be the next star for the Celtics after the big 3 got old.  Didn't happen and Reggie Lewis died early too and basically the Celtics went the drain fast.

Board footer