You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Acekicken
 Rep: 12 

Re: AXL ROSE Negotiating For More Money Before Releasing 'Chinese Democrac

Acekicken wrote:

AXL ROSE Negotiating For More Money Before Releasing 'Chinese Democracy'? - Feb. 6, 2008 

According to The Pulse of Radio, recent reports have indicated that GUNS N' ROSES' long-awaited new album, "Chinese Democracy", is finished and the group's frontman W. Axl Rose is negotiating for more money with his record label before he will release the masters.

The ever-shifting GUNS N' ROSES lineup began working on "Chinese Democracy" sometime in the mid-'90s, and has reportedly spent $13 million recording the effort. Promised release dates in 2006 and 2007 did not materialize.

GUNS N' ROSES has only toured twice in the last 14 years: an aborted 2002 run that only lasted for a few shows, and a far more successful 2006 trek that took the latest lineup around the world.

Although Rose is considered one of rock's greatest frontmen, his sometimes irrational behavior onstage, reclusive lifestyle and notoriety for feuding with other rock stars has also earned him a reputation as one of rock's true eccentrics. 

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … emID=90181

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

Pay Axl. Then you'll get a fuck ton of money from us you crazy assholes.

Sorry for the language, but this is enough to drive a girl crazy. :-P

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

This proves what I have been saying along that CD is still not handed in.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

I have been saying along that CD is still not handed in.

bingo.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Acekicken wrote:

AXL ROSE Negotiating For More Money Before Releasing 'Chinese Democracy'? - Feb. 6, 2008

From 2005:

W, Axl Rose is not interested in fame, money, popularity or what the New York Times or any other paper for that matter might think of him. His only interest is making the best album he is capable of so that it can have a positive affect in 2005 on people who are enthusiasts of music and interested in Guns N' Roses. His artistic integrity is such that he has chosen to do so without compromise at great personal sacrifice which makes him a soft target for the sort of rubbish you have chosen to print. I believe he will have the last laugh.
Sincerely,
Merck Mercuriadis

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news … ewsid=1319

BTW I wonder if he wants to get the money back he spent on the record since 2004, when Universal finished funding the never-ending process.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

who knows whats going on...if he is really holding the masters for ransom then we may have quite a while longer to wait 17

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

This is the natural course of things.

The album is done and now they have to sit down and talk about who'll pay what. Both the label and Axl knew this day would (probably) come the minute funding was shut down. Anyone who might've thought all it takes is Axl finishing up is sadly mistaken. That's the usual way of doing things, but the window of opportunity closed on 12/31/03. He finished the album four years late of his last chance to remain in the label's good graces. Had the label continued to fund this merry-go-around, getting the album in 2006 might've been possible. And then again Axl might've gladly continued to his carefree search of the perfect sound in stops and spurts... for a few years more.

And the money Axl's asking wouldn't likely go into the album itself, as it's said to be done now. It'd be a bit silly for him to ask his money back, as Geffen made it quite clear in their letter that Axl is now responsible of finishing the job, no matter the cost. If Axl's asking for more money, he's not happy with the offer Universal has made him, which at this point likely refers to promotional campaigns, video shoots et al. Axl doesn't want to spend anymore of his own money on the album.

Sky Dog wrote:

"According to The Pulse of Radio, recent reports have indicated"

"blabbermouth.net"

that is all I needed to read, radio...blabbermouth....recent reports (meaning eddie trunk and other shit we already know)....nothing new here. No sources on those recent reports. Sounds like they just decided to make something up that sounded good. We have no clue what they are negotiating over or if Axl is asking for more money.:sick:

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

i completely agree with madagas on this one....its just another speculation based on other speculations....

think about it this way....let's assume that the record has been handed in....if it has....the big boys at universal/interscope have heard it many times over....analysed it....and perhaps even immediatelly made a decision on whether this is sellable to the mainstream music consumers or not....

so if they are in negotiations STILL....after the record execs have heard it....its not a good indication, and could mean one of two things:

1. the album sucks. so not worth 13 mil and 14 years.
2. axl is being unreasonable, hence the gridlock....

i hope its the second of the two....but then again, i reckon there is no way under the sun that the entire album (including repro ready design material) has been handed in....not a chance in hell....a few tracks maybe....but the final final product.....naaah...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true. Logic tells us there's one of only a few reasons it's not done (Not finished recording, $$, royalty issues re; so many artists etc). As for Elmirs post, I think 2 would be the case. Whether he's being 'unreasonable' is a judgement call, we don't know anything about (maybe the label wants to garnish Axl's first $13 mil in wages, making it likely he won't receive a dime off CD and possibly could be in debt due to record sales lately) but I think he is holding out. One thing I wonder though is if Axl is upset at the label as a result, and is giving the masters for a bunch of filler songs, and b-side stuff, then once his contract is complete, go to another label & release the A-list stuff. I doubt it as GnR would be looked at as a failure if the first album wasn't great, but maybe he's got 2 or 3 great songs, but holding back on 2 or 3 extra hits. Also, he needs to make his money off touring, not albums, so he needs to load this album up.

Who knows.  My guess is he is negotiating for money, I dunno why though, bands make a killing off touring ($50 ticket, 20,000 fans, 3-4 nights a week, you do the math) not albums.

Board footer