You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Bucket kicks off tour

nugdafied wrote:

The show was incredible. Bucket was larger than life up there & makes it all look so effortless. He is easily the greatest guitarist I've ever seen & it's really not even close. What made the nite even better was that it was actually a well planned out show. From start(night of the slunk) to finish, it was ALL action. There was no noodling around, switching guitars, getting pedals in order. None of that. He just laid it down for 2 plus hours, never hit a bad note, danced, nunchucked, threw out some toys, all that. And it was just Buckethead with backing tracks, no band. My highlight of the show was definitely when, in a moment of total retarded drunkeness, I yelled "hog bitch stomp" when I thought Bucket was looking at me. Turns out he was, because in midsong & no sooner than "stomp" had left my mouth, Bucket throws in a few seconds of it before going to back to some insanely heavy, yet funky riff. The whole nite was pretty surreal though, as Buckethead is such a unique, original performer. So yeah, it was an awesome time & just jaw dropping getting to watch Buckethead do his thing.

2w4wo5x.jpg

nugdafied wrote:

So here's a review & a video of the show in Bend.

The Buckethead (Freak) Show   

Written by Ric E. James     
Wednesday, 26 March 2008 

Wearing his trademark KFC bucket (logo free) and white mask, Buckethead pushed the limits of the electric guitar to the brink Friday night at the Domino room, before the packed all-ages show. Three of four songs into the set he pretty much demolished all notions I had of the technical limits of the instrument and human musicianship.

But I'll confess that at this point I was starting to wonder how much guitar theatrics I could take. Plus I was getting a little weirded out by the whole chicken bucket hat, serial killer mask shtick.

An hour and half and one Buckethead nun chuk exhibition later, I was still standing in the same spot with my jaw hanging somewhere near the ground.

And by the time he launched into his unreleased track, 'Jordan', I was a convert. It was Buckethead's efficiency with his sampling that most impressed me. While we waited for the next spectacular display of virtuosity, he was subtly constructing elaborate compositions with intricate interweaving melodies by sampling and then looping his own playing. One of the shows highlights - nun chuk and break dancing displays notwithstanding - was his collaboration with opener That One Guy. Other highlights included Buckethead communicating with the crowd via hand puppet (although communicating is probably too strong a word) and Buckethead stopping the show to hand out Christmas presents, which included Martian ray guns and, possibly, My Little Pony dolls.

This was bar none the most bizarre music show that I've ever seen. So it was only fitting that a performance defined by Buckethead's super technical mastery would end on a note of technical difficulty when Buckethead's guitar malfunctioned, stranding Buckethead on stage while the drum track marched on. He offered the crowd a silent '˜oh well' gesture with his hands and was ushered off the stage by his (also masked) handler - never to appear again. We assume he's back on his home planet by now. Wherever that is. '” Ric E. James

http://www.tsweekly.com/index.php?optio … Itemid=169

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

just insane ... i dont even undestand what he's doing in that vid 16 18

Sky Dog wrote:

Said it once, I'll say it again. I have NEVER seen someone live and in person who is as good as Buckethead-all around, soulful licks, massive riffs, funk, classic rock-EVERYTHING. Only issue I have is that he is a tad bit too eccentric.:haha:

nugdafied wrote:

I forgot to say if you press MENU on the bottom right of the youtube link, it shows all the videos from the Bend show. You'll also notice that nowadays Bucket has the full beard/hair thing going on all around the mask. He's the greatest ever.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Does he venture out of the US?

Awesome guitarist, I'd quite happily see him back in GN'R, if only for his guitar skills.

Board footer