You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The General and Monsters

misterID wrote:
Clear wrote:
misterID wrote:

Tonto, Dummy, Prom Violence, Mustache, Billionaire, real Doll, have to look back for others.

I’d say Devious Bastard might predate him and he jumped on it, but not sure. Would love to hear a mashup mix with Dummy and Inside Out

I read that Prom Violence, together with shankler and D Tune were combined into shacklers, so I would guess those three are BH songs

Prom violence was pretty clearly used in Shacklers. This is the first I’ve heard of DTune. Not sure I hear that

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:
Clear wrote:
misterID wrote:

Tonto, Dummy, Prom Violence, Mustache, Billionaire, real Doll, have to look back for others.

I’d say Devious Bastard might predate him and he jumped on it, but not sure. Would love to hear a mashup mix with Dummy and Inside Out

I read that Prom Violence, together with shankler and D Tune were combined into shacklers, so I would guess those three are BH songs

Prom violence was pretty clearly used in Shacklers. This is the first I’ve heard of DTune. Not sure I hear that

yeah you can def hear parts of prom violence in shacklers

I would stil love to hear the SR version before Ron re-did some of the parts
It would probably sound even more like Prom

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Hopefully it wasn’t just elephant sounds. He had some killer solos like with Tonto, and others were just absent any kind of real solo. Really odd

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

Hopefully it wasn’t just elephant sounds. He had some killer solos like with Tonto, and others were just absent any kind of real solo. Really odd

You can hear BHs SR solo very faintly on the stems, cant you?

The only BH solo I didnt like on any of the CD sessions was the Riad one.  Its like he didnt even try on that one. Rons is even worse.  Riad needs a better solo

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

My thoughts after some further listening including the live version.

Whilst they are serviceable, they are just not very good songs. They sound dated and the Velvet Revolver/early 2000's comparisons are a good shout. Slash's soloing is a little more inspired but still a far cry from his heyday.
I miss the old sound - but it's pretty evident that Izzy is needed for that. Ironically the Appetite/Lies sound is far more intricate/complex than these supposed 'epics'.

It was always going to be hard to live up to the hype I guess. I also have to weigh in behind those who say it is a very heavy topic to have for a song you 'enjoy'. I commend Axl for bringing it to the surface as an artist - I guess I imagined it would be presented in a more abstract/poetic way perhaps. It is very confronting and possibly the more powerful for it - but as far as a GN'R song that I can enjoy, maybe I have to be in the right frame of mind.

As I've mentioned before, I hope they both have a more distinct ending - they just seem to whimper out.

Monsters, I think is marginally better.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

My thoughts after some further listening including the live version.

Whilst they are serviceable, they are just not very good songs. They sound dated and the Velvet Revolver/early 2000's comparisons are a good shout. Slash's soloing is a little more inspired but still a far cry from his heyday.
I miss the old sound - but it's pretty evident that Izzy is needed for that. Ironically Appetite/Lies sound is far more intricate/complex than these supposed 'epics'.

It was always going to be hard to live up to the hype I guess. I also have to weigh in behind those who say it is a very heavy topic to have for a song you 'enjoy'. I commend Axl for bringing it to the surface as an artist - I guess I imagined it would be presented in a more abstract/poetic way perhaps. It is very confronting and possibly the more powerful for it - but as far as a GN'R song that I can enjoy, maybe I have to be in the right frame of mind.

As I've mentioned before, I hope they both have a more distinct ending - they just seem to whimper out.

Monsters, I think is marginally better.

That is why I want  to hear the BH and Robin verisons.

I like what Slash did on Monsters, but id love to hear what it used to be

I do wonder if both songs were longer but got cut down.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

I think "Pro Shot" is being kind lol
And people bitched about Glastonbury

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

It's funny, Monsters is a more immediately "catchy" song, but after several listens The General has definitely grown on me to the point where I think I prefer it. I really like the off-kilter, horror movie sound.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

It's funny, Monsters is a more immediately "catchy" song, but after several listens The General has definitely grown on me to the point where I think I prefer it. I really like the off-kilter, horror movie sound.

Me too.

I love the "rant" part of monsters in scream voice, but there's not a lot of song to go with it - just kinda a little bit of a rap chorus. I mean I like it but it gets old quick waiting for that part each listen.  I think the high parts of The General are more haunting. It's funny too as on first listen the general didn't really work for me, but now I really like it.

I think it needed a "breakdown" or "locomotive" style outro though. Like slash seems to be warming up to something right when it ends.

Board footer