You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The Rant Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but that's because no one gives a shit about the Mets. Never have, never will. They're the "B" team. Just like Chicago ain't White Sox country. It's always gonna be about 'da Cubs. LA's always gonna be Dodgertown.

As for the Red Sox, I guess you're right. This season, despite a winning year, I heard much more talk going on about the Yankees, and yes, the Rays, then the Red Sox, which never really was "in it" at all this season. They seemed to scale WAY back on the Red Sox love fest, despite the fact they still had a good team. Because they were never in a race, it was 'above average' coverage, but not the Red Sox Nation crap of years past.

The last couple years the new "flame" for baseball reporting has been the Phils.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, the Red Sox had a strange team this year.  It didn't help that Theo Epstein described 2010 as a "bridge" year.  That doesn't exactly give a great sense of optimism to a fanbase.  TV ratings for Sox games were down locally for the first time in awhile.  It was feared their ridiculous sellout streak may end too, but it still holds strong.  Even the rabid Boston fans weren't quite so rabid.  It's all about the product on the field.  If they're not good or exciting enough, they won't get the attention.  Plus they had a shit ton of injuries that they had to deal with, which stunted their level of play and success last year.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, sounds kind of like the situation with the Cubs. The days of the lovable losers selling out all year is over. People are frustrated with disappointing seasons, despite high payroll. Now they still blow, and are cutting back even more, letting team veterans go.

Plus their handleling of the Ryne Sandberg situation was deplorable. Long time fans are a bit unconcerned with the direct future of the team. Of course, imho.

AtariLegend wrote:

I didn't want to start a new thread incase no one posted in it tongue.

...But I'm gonna be working in Montreal/Canada in several weeks for a short while as part of a course I'm taking.

For the Canadians on the board, do I need to learn basic French badly to get myself around when I get there?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I didn't want to start a new thread incase no one posted in it tongue.

...But I'm gonna be working in Montreal/Canada in several weeks for a short while as part of a course I'm taking.

For the Canadians on the board, do I need to learn basic French badly to get myself around when I get there?

Not in Montreal.  There's plenty of English speaking people there.  At least there was when I visited.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah basically learn "Parlez vous anglais?" (do you speak english?) and you should be good to go in montreal ... its the smaller towns you need to worry about

AtariLegend wrote:

The work placement was moved from Montreal to Toronto a few months ago by the course. So I didn't brush up on my french.

I start next week, look forward to see-ing another part of the world, I never would got to see otherwise and time away from a "Gn'R" forum.:P Can't wait.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

youre gonna be close to me atari... big_smile

AtariLegend wrote:

I love Toronto, I love Canada and the majority of the last several weeks I spent here.

I wish I wasn't going back home to one of the most depressing, segerated, escape to no where countries in the world tommorow.

Only downside is I never got to go see a concert or even a hockey/baseball game at the Rogers Centre sad.

...But CN Tower, Niagra Falls, Woodbine beach and the bars on Queen Street were all fun.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Shame you didn't catch a game. I'm sure the Jays have PLENTY of seats available. 16

Board footer