You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Re: The Rant Thread

Stacey wrote:

I simply do not, and never will, understand why people cannot just sympathize for five FUCKING minutes before they hop on the bandwagon of negativity.

I am not going to muck up the school shooting thread about it, because this isn't specifically about that, but GODDAMNIT!!!

Twenty sets of parents lost their BABIES today. BABIES!!!!!!! That's twenty families who have had their holidays ruined and lives changed forever.

Eight other families lost someone too.

Not to mention this dickhead who shot his dad, went and shot his mom, then after he shot down a room full of kids, blew his own head off. His girlfriend and another friend are missing. I'm sure he shot them too.

What matters here is showing sympathy and love for our fellow man. Not gun control. Not mental health. The way you guys talk about gun control being necessary is the way I think about mental healthcare being necessary. This shooter didn't lose his mind because he had a gun in his hand.

Can we (America, not just this board) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let up on the negativity for a minute, and truly absorb what has happened here today?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Stacey I think it's because people feel powerless to help.

Gun Control / Mental Health Checks and so on are pro-active things people can do which (some people think) would help things like this become rarer - and thus help ease the sense of horror and sadness that this happens.

So people express their sorrow by looking for ways to stop it happening again.

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but in a way I find it more negative to focus on the pain felt by others but then not consider ways to improve society. If these were the last children slain for no reason then that's better than if they're just people we feel sorry for until some worse incident happens due to a flood or something overseas and we move on with our vicarious sorrow.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Some of us have been sympathizing since noon.  I'm well past sympathizing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What i'm sick of the media and their coverage of this horrific event. Might as well be pissing on their graves. They LOVE getting a nut on this stuff.

I'm at my breaking point with it. The media is worse than the gunman imo.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

What i'm sick of the media and their coverage of this horrific event. Might as well be pissing on their graves. They LOVE getting a nut on this stuff.

I do think they're part of the problem too.  These tragic events are so sensationalized these days, giving these nutjobs way too much airtime.  That's what you get with 24 hour news stations though.  But who knows, you have these maniacs sitting at home that think to themselves, "I want to end it all, I might as well take out a bunch of innocent people with me so I make a name for myself and get everybody talking".  Mission accomplished?

It was just so sad to watch the coverage yesterday.  I was repeatedly getting choked up.  I couldn't watch too much at a time, but I kept coming back for more.  That's the way of the world these days.  We watch war live on TV.  Things like this are followed in real time.  It's addictive and gruesome at the same time, but I don't see that changing.  I do think SOME of the coverage is good, and does a service to those looking for answers or just wanting some consolation, but too much is never a good thing.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

That was my thought immediately. This fucking dude is now IMMORTALIZED because of the media.

Wes Craven in hindsight was a visionary with the plot of Scream.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Yes, the media and now social media contributes to these things greatly.  15 minutes of fame...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I havent seen much of the media coverage over the past day but i heard they were shoving cameras in the face of children yesterday. What. The. Fuck.

I literally got sick to my stomach, watching those poor kids tell their stories and the media soaking it up. Those kids voices were shaking.

And you know what the burden of it all is?

The parents were right there doing the same thing, and people at home continued watching it over and over.

Not me. I jumped on the PlayStation, I took a walk, I did something else other than to watch that sickening wake.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer