You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Let the reunion rumors roll...

war wrote:
Bono wrote:
war wrote:

are you guys kidding?

based on boots and live viewings i saw his voice gradually and steadily return to top form as the '06 tour went on.

axl experimented with not using rasp in '02 and i would guess it was to avoid permanent damage down the road or he was trying to establish a new identity as an artist. he proved he has a nice singing voice but when your songs stretch your vocal range as much as his do you have to use all the tricks not in the book to decorate and present the vocals and in his case that means using the rasp with the falsetto. the "helium" sound was the result of him singing without rasp.

in '02 axl's mic level was too high at the show i went to and you could barely hear the music and he certainly had more reason to hide his voice back then and yet he didn't. i could also hear him well in '06 in sync with the band. i am sure it depends on the venue and where you are sitting or standing at

Sorry man but this just sounds like a  fan trying to protect their hero. I saw him in three different venues in 2006

Hammerstien Ballroom in NY - 2nd row in the balcony. great show, Vocals were hard to hear.

Calgary Saddledome - Centre ice front row 1st balcony - shitty show,  Vocals were extremely hard to hear.  I also made way way to the floor. same problem. Vocals were almost non existant.

Rexall Place in Edmonton - About 10 rows up just off to the side/ front of the stage - good show,  Vocals were hard to hear and sometimes the mic was obviously turned off. In fact they did the entire Paradise City with no vocals. That's complete and utter bullshit. 

So three different venues of different sizes and acoustics all with the same problem. Like it or not Axl's live vocals or vocal mix  suck compared to other artists. I just saw the Foo Fighters in Rexall Place and Dave Grohls vocals powerd over the music no problem. I just saw the Cure at Red Rocks in Colorado and Robert's vocals were crisp and clear. I'm going to see David Usher next week and his vocals as always will be prominant. Justify it all you want but I've seen Axl too many times and have seen way too many other shows to think he's on par. That or his sound guys suck major fucking ass. One way or the other it blows in comparison.  Of everyone(9 people) I saw Gn'R with in 2006 the biggest complaint(and there were alot) was Axl's vocals. Not that it sounded bad but that it didn't sound at all. Why is that?

Sorry. It's a highjacking. 16

speak for yourself when using opinions. so he turns the volume up - good for him. axl is a much more diverse vocalist with a much wider vocal range than the others mentioned = fact. in other words he sets the bar higher and no one sings to perfection every night. here's a trick to hammer home my point. how often does axl have trouble singing mr brownstone? rare to never. because that is his natural singing voice. robert and dave sing in there natural singing voice all or the majority of their songs. again, good for them. nobody is protecting anybody. in fact, i think some are bashing their hero as if to sound objective and intelligent. in the end, the fact remains that axl at his age can do more with his voice than anyone i know can do at 26. anyone who says axl is hiding his voice or cannot sing live doesn't know what they are talking about.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

speak for yourself when using opinions.

Wow. The hypocrisy of that is hilarious

war wrote:

so he turns the volume up - good for him. Axl is a much more diverse vocalist with a much wider vocal range than the others mentioned = fact. in other words he sets the bar higher and no one sings to perfection every night.

Ummm.... actually David Usher is absolutely perfect live. He's better than on the albums. This coming from a  guy who's seen him 7 times. being perfect however is not the point. Try and comprehend that. being heard is the point. Here's something to keep in mind. When you know the words you tend to think you're hearing the words. That's a fact.

war wrote:

here's a trick to hammer home my point. how often does axl have trouble singing mr brownstone? rare to never. because that is his natural singing voice. robert and dave sing in there natural singing voice all or the majority of their songs. again, good for them. nobody is protecting anybody. in fact, i think some are bashing their hero as if to sound objective and intelligent.

Fuck please. What a  joke. Axl my hero? hahaha. And secondly my opinion in the end isn't based on actual expeirences at live Gn'R events at all roll . I know nothing. 16

war wrote:

the fact remains that axl at his age can do more with his voice than anyone i know can do at 26. anyone who says axl is hiding his voice or cannot sing live doesn't know what they are talking about.

the fact remains that this is your opinion which you are expressing as fact. Hilarious. Here's a fact for you. I've been to nearly 100 shows in my life and the only singer  who seems to consistently have mic/ vocal issues is Axl. I guess it's just bad luck on my part roll . Nobody can be perfect all the time right  but unfortunately 75% of the Gn'R shows I've been to the vocals were sketchy. He was awesome in 1993. Trust me WAR I know what I'm talking about. I don't make shit up to make shit up.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

war

war wrote:
Bono wrote:
war wrote:

speak for yourself when using opinions.

Wow. The hypocrisy of that is hilarious

war wrote:

so he turns the volume up - good for him. Axl is a much more diverse vocalist with a much wider vocal range than the others mentioned = fact. in other words he sets the bar higher and no one sings to perfection every night.

Ummm.... actually David Usher is absolutely perfect live. He's better than on the albums. This coming from a  guy who's seen him 7 times. being perfect however is not the point. Try and comprehend that. being heard is the point. Here's something to keep in mind. When you know the words you tend to think you're hearing the words. That's a fact.

war wrote:

here's a trick to hammer home my point. how often does axl have trouble singing mr brownstone? rare to never. because that is his natural singing voice. robert and dave sing in there natural singing voice all or the majority of their songs. again, good for them. nobody is protecting anybody. in fact, i think some are bashing their hero as if to sound objective and intelligent.

Fuck please. What a  joke. Axl my hero? hahaha. And secondly my opinion in the end isn't based on actual expeirences at live Gn'R events at all roll . I know nothing. 16

war wrote:

the fact remains that axl at his age can do more with his voice than anyone i know can do at 26. anyone who says axl is hiding his voice or cannot sing live doesn't know what they are talking about.

the fact remains that this is your opinion which you are expressing as fact. Hilarious. Here's a fact for you. I've been to nearly 100 shows in my life and the only singer  who seems to consistently have mic/ vocal issues is Axl. I guess it's just bad luck on my part roll . Nobody can be perfect all the time right  but unfortunately 75% of the Gn'R shows I've been to the vocals were sketchy. He was awesome in 1993. Trust me WAR I know what I'm talking about. I don't make shit up to make shit up.

i don't think you are making things up i just think you are having a hard time getting to the truth

i also don't think you realize i am not just talking to you

everything i have said is backed by fact or music theory - i noticed you didn't even coment on the mr brownstone point. an honest person would have said, "good point"

everything you've said is backed by how many shows you've gone to which doesn't mean anything to anyone else

axl doesn't have mic problems every show nor is he bad live. he's just not as good as he is in the studio. the thing is, again, he does so many amzing things in the studio that not even he can repeat that same level live nor could any of your heroes which don't have the range or the drastic variety of both rasp and clean vocal colors. that doesn't make him bad live - that makes him human

"comprehend being heard" - kinda insulting but whatever. to the point (mic volume) - i do beleive it is the result of his lack of confidence in his voice but it represents a very small part of his professional career.

i haven't been to every gnr show but i have been to several and there wasn't mic or vocal problems at any of them. and since he is not your hero i am guessing that you haven't been to all of his shows either and wouldn't be able to objectively speak for the majority.

war

war wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I'd like to throw my hat out there and say this:

I saw GNR live in 91 and 93. As far as vocal volume, 93 was better then 91 (in the same venue). As far as vocal quality 93 was better then 91 but not by much.

Saw them again in 02 at the venue as above. No problem volume-wise but quality was terrible (read: helium) for most of the show.

Saw them twice in 06 (at Hammerstein first and second at the same venue as above). Hammerstein seemed like the vocals were low when I was there, but are mixed well in the bootleg. The second show vocals were mixed fine, but lower then I think I've ever heard before. Quality-wise: Best ever. Hands down.

and cinsistent with what i originally said. he is returning to top form and so the volume will come.

Sky Dog wrote:

in the end, who gives a fuck. Axl fuckin brings the rock. End of discussion. Bad vocals, good vocals.....he has the mojo. Charisma, intensity, and sheer insanity carries the day over inconsistent vocals. Nobody on this board that I know of has seen more shows than I have-a very wide variety of artists as well (mainly based on the fact that I am significantly older than 99% of the people who come here). Axl is a love him or hate him performer, but he is still one of the greats. Simple as that. 19

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

as The King would say...."thank ya...thank ya very much". 5

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

Well I have to side with Bono here.  When I saw GNR in 06 we couldn't hear Axl at all.  It was almost like his mic was turned down.  I thought it was maybe the arena but it was weird cause when Th Trews played you could hear him perfectly.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

You get a better result if you take your sweet time and show up at rehearsals and sound-checks. Axl rarely does, so it's not a miracle his live sound isn't perfect.

Board footer