You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

bigbri wrote:

I have to wonder, the people who say there is no single or no rockers here? Did you download the right songs? How is CD or Rhiad or IRS not a rocker? How is The Blues or Better not a single. I'm not arguing they are perfect rock songs or perfect singles, but if you don't hear rockers or singles, you're kind of showing some ignorance to what we've got.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I have to wonder, the people who say there is no single or no rockers here? Did you download the right songs? How is CD or Rhiad or IRS not a rocker? How is The Blues or Better not a single. I'm not arguing they are perfect rock songs or perfect singles, but if you don't hear rockers or singles, you're kind of showing some ignorance to what we've got.

Great post.

Better has single written all over it, especially with the outro.  Chinese Democracy is a potential single as well as Rhiad and IRS.  The Blues would do great as a single as well. 

The only songs that we have that couldn't be singles are Catcher, TWAT, and maybe If the World and Song #2.  I'm leaving Maddy up in the air.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Agreed, those are some great tunes.  If CD has more of the same I will be VERY happy with the result.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I said those were rockers.  Better is all over the map, more of an epic type rocker with all kinds of effects.  I am talking about a riff driven straight ahead rocker.  The only one that fits that is Chinese Democracy.  Chinese Democracy won't be a good single.  It has a good solo though.  I like the song.  Better will be a good single, but it isn't a hard rocker like Paradise City, Slither, or Its So Easy.  So I know there are rockers, but I mean straight ahead, riff based rock.  That is why I used Slither as an Example.  Right now Slither owns Chinese Democracy.  I am not saying it owns Better, but Better is a different type of rocker than Slither.  Do you follow me now?

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I said those were rockers.  Better is all over the map, more of an epic type rocker with all kinds of effects.  I am talking about a riff driven straight ahead rocker.  The only one that fits that is Chinese Democracy.  Chinese Democracy won't be a good single.  It has a good solo though.  I like the song.  Better will be a good single, but it isn't a hard rocker like Paradise City, Slither, or Its So Easy.  So I know there are rockers, but I mean straight ahead, riff based rock.  That is why I used Slither as an Example.  Right now Slither owns Chinese Democracy.  I am not saying it owns Better, but Better is a different type of rocker than Slither.  Do you follow me now?

Well, I wasn't talking to you specifically, just the general feeling, like DCK, who doesn't  hear a rocker.

I guess I follow your argument, but now you're breaking down rockers into different sub-groups. To me, Better is a straight ahead riff rocker. The main riff, which I think is quite catchy, plays throughout almost the entire song, save for the Buckethead breakdown in the middle. IRS, while not as catchy, is certainly a riff-based rocker, as is Rhiad, although it to me is more fueled by Tommy's bass. It's throbs underneath the track and sends it along nicely.

And frankly, mentioning Slither alongside PC and It's So Easy is pretty bold, and it's also subliminal, like because it's there it's on the same level, which it isn't. I found Slither to be incredibly not catchy at all. I like Set Me Free much better, but they all pretty much suck considering the credentials of the people  creating them. Slither owns CD in your world, I guess, but not mine.

I wanted to love VR when they got together, but they failed me and disappointed me so much, I almost feel like I deserve a personal apology from each and every one of them for ripping me off and making me look like a fool for months before their release when I was telling my friends how it was gonna be the next GNR. Made me look like a fucking know-nothing idiot. Honestly, other than on GNR boards, I know no physical person who either owns VR records or admits to liking them.

I'm not getting this vibe from the GNR stuff. A dude I work with who I know likes rock actually asked me about the leaks the other day because he read about them on Rollingstone.com, so I sent him a leak, and  he played them in the office on his Mac. We have a laid-back office, so we can do that sort of thing. The opinions were mixed. People were surprised at some of its new sound. Everyone was interested in hearing it though. No one said anything negative. Overly hyped,  yes. Just like the Star Wars prequels, but still far and away better than MOST rock out there now. If there is mainstream rock getting major play that is better, feel free to point it out.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Better is a so-so song IMO. When I first heard it I was all over it but now it just really bores and has done for months. Chi Dem has a riff but there's nothing that memorable about it. That's the problem they need a riff driven song with as catchy a riff as Sweet Child or Slither. Not that style, but that level of catchiness. Paradise and ISO get their hooks from the lyrics. Unfortunatly for the new songs there are no super Paradise/Jungle/Latest Pop Single level hooks in the lyrics so it's got to come from the music and there isn't one.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Better is a so-so song IMO. When I first heard it I was all over it but now it just really bores and has done for months.

There you go, you just made the point. When you FIRST heard it, you were all over it. That's the idea of a hit single of the moment. Months later, you don't need to be all over it. You gotta get people on the first or second listen. Better succeeds in most instances.

I don't get the love for Slither. I just listened to it again on  YouTube? What riff are we talking about? The one Slash doesn't play that is chugging along the whole song? That's called rhythm guitar. That's not exactly a riff.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

How is The Blues or Better not a single.

Because they are not good enough. The Blues could be a ballad written by any form of band. The only thing that makes the song interesting is the great Buckethead solo at the end mixed in with Axl's voice.

Better is a very good song, very fresh, it doesn't sound like anything anyone has ever done before. It's a complex motherfucker which will keep me happy, but it's certainly not single material. It's way to complex, way to many changes during it and the guitar is too low in the mix, not a good enough chorus either. Better than Slither? Oh yeah..only thing good about Slither is the Slash riff which is one of the better ones he's come up with in 15 years. Scott just wrecks the song IMO.

I.R.S is a rocker but it's far away from hit material although a good song.

CD is sort of a rocker too but still not good enough.

If The World could actually be a decent single if the album version has been worked on and tweaked. It's the only one I see.

I love these songs, but they are way to complex for bitchy rock fans wanting rock n roll.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Buckethead is not on any form of The Blues that I know of. Didn't he leave the stage in 02 when it was played? The Blues could be written by anyone doesn't mean it's not a great single. You call it too generic to be successful, then call Better too complex?

They won't be huge, I agree, but they are clearly capable of doing something most songs haven't been able to in this hip-hop dance controlled single world.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Well, I wasn't talking to you specifically, just the general feeling, like DCK, who doesn't  hear a rocker.

I guess I follow your argument, but now you're breaking down rockers into different sub-groups. To me, Better is a straight ahead riff rocker. The main riff, which I think is quite catchy, plays throughout almost the entire song, save for the Buckethead breakdown in the middle. IRS, while not as catchy, is certainly a riff-based rocker, as is Rhiad, although it to me is more fueled by Tommy's bass. It's throbs underneath the track and sends it along nicely.

And frankly, mentioning Slither alongside PC and It's So Easy is pretty bold, and it's also subliminal, like because it's there it's on the same level, which it isn't. I found Slither to be incredibly not catchy at all. I like Set Me Free much better, but they all pretty much suck considering the credentials of the people  creating them. Slither owns CD in your world, I guess, but not mine.

I wanted to love VR when they got together, but they failed me and disappointed me so much, I almost feel like I deserve a personal apology from each and every one of them for ripping me off and making me look like a fool for months before their release when I was telling my friends how it was gonna be the next GNR. Made me look like a fucking know-nothing idiot. Honestly, other than on GNR boards, I know no physical person who either owns VR records or admits to liking them.

I'm not getting this vibe from the GNR stuff. A dude I work with who I know likes rock actually asked me about the leaks the other day because he read about them on Rollingstone.com, so I sent him a leak, and  he played them in the office on his Mac. We have a laid-back office, so we can do that sort of thing. The opinions were mixed. People were surprised at some of its new sound. Everyone was interested in hearing it though. No one said anything negative. Overly hyped,  yes. Just like the Star Wars prequels, but still far and away better than MOST rock out there now. If there is mainstream rock getting major play that is better, feel free to point it out.

Good post!  Crazy Bitch by Buck Cherry gets major play and is a stripped down in your face rocker that is just an okay song but did well.  Its catchy.  Has a good chorus.  Is there a rocker that can do as good as crazy bitch?  Maybe Better, but no cover bands want to cover that.  NO pussy will dance to "better."

Board footer