You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

Yeah, and if its just a single album, that'll leave everyone pissed.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Overall the CD project from what I heard is good. It met my expectations. I wasn't expecting something unbelievable but just something that was solid and well rocked. And most of these songs do and better than most songs that get airplay. There is a lot going on in these songs but some parts it works and some it doesn't. Had to kinda expect that since everyone and their mother has done something with the material. New song two is a hell of a tune. If the World is another good one but like someone said it could be better. I am still waiting for Rhyiad to grow on me not sure it will. Bono had it right though, Axl can still write some amazing lyrics. It's not Guns N' Roses and in no way sounds like it or close too it. Maybe a few songs could hang but a solo record would be a better idea.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

hard to really determine how I feel about all this

I think it's pretty clear that we now have 9 tracks from the album itself. Whats missing? Sorry? Atlas Shrugged? Prostitue? This I love?

Overall, some good if not great songs.

Not sure it sits together all that well mind.

Ive only listened to the 'new' 3 songs twice and they sure are all over the map, no doubt. I was a little disappointed to be honest and I am hoping this will pass as the songs grow on me. They seem a little overcooked and like something that would have possibly sounded fresh and cutting edge a good decade ago...

In saying that, the remastering/mixing of the songs we have all grown to know and love over the last 5, 6, 7, 8 years - the Blues, CD and IRS etc.. - it is nice to hear them sounding big, rounded and bombastic like I always imagined they would....

Maybe, just maybe, this could be a special album. I remain sceptical however. i agree with observations that there is just too much going on,; too many musicians, too may influences, producers, sounds, distractions, styles etc. etc. It just does not have any coherency.

I guess we shall see, but I am fairly certain this chapter is coming to an end. We almost have CD by the looks of it. Kind of strange

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

just listening to the likes of TWAT, CD, IRS etc.. the old songs and here are my thoughts

TWAT is a significant let down but I am starting to think it is just not that great of a song. It is trying to be Estranged and I am afraid it falls short by a considerable margin. It is nice to hear the outro solp with all the production and drama it deserves however - that solo almost saves the song. But this is not Axl's shining moment on CD I am afraid.

IRS sounds a hell of a lot better - but again, I am afraid it is just not that great a song and no amount of polishing can diminish that fact. Others may disagree, but if this is amongst what is the best 3 or 4 rockers Axl has produced in 16 years then that is frankly a sad state of affairs.

The BLUES - finally it is starting to sound glorious as it should. Amongst the best songs Axl has ever penned and the subtle changes give it the stately, regal feel it deserves. As i've said all along, wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the highlight of the album.

CD- Nice to hear it sounding fuller and see some of the coarseness is  stripped away from the version we got a year ago. Overall a more rounded feel to it. Definitely the strongest rocker amongst the bunch.

MADAGASCAR - never been a big fan, buts its amazing what some decent mixing/mastering and production can do. It's sounding a bunch better although I still don't think its all that special. I go through stages with this one - I think this one in particular has a tendencey to sound dated to the 90s which is the last thing Axl needs. Timeless is what he should be aiming for

BETTER - Strong. Very similar to the last leak but bigger. No surprises here

Again, just my 2 cents

Axl4Life
 Rep: 28 

Axl4Life wrote:

I think all of whats happened in the last few days could well be a smokescreen....to get the world talking about GNR again. Velvet Revolver has no singer, and Guns N' Roses guitarists are leaving. Could a reunion be in talks within closed doors? I still think a reunion is more likely than the CD. Think of it....what songs is left for the album that we haven't heard? Where those leaks done deliberately by someone at the record label?  Maybe the main focus was on a reunion the whole time? I know some will call me crazy...but its my theory.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Overall, all the CD era songs have very little flow and absolutely lack a catchy chorus. I think that's why Better is so popular: Better and IRS are the only ones with a real chorus.

There are some grandiose moments in there, some absolute brilliant pieces of music, some parts where the vocals are really good, etc... but overall, these flashes do not carry through in the complete songs. The more I listen to it, the more I'm dissapointed, to be honest.

I'll even go so far as to say something that will probably get me chastised: I think none of the nine leaks we have now (10 if you include CITR) match up to VR's Slither or even FTP & Messages. If this was a celebrity deathmatch, Slash&Duff have ripped Axl a new one.

If you consider it the follow-up to the UYIs, it's a let-down as well. If you compare it to the potential and quality that the music on IFOC has, that would've been a much better follow-up album.

It's obvious these guys need each other to bring out the best in each other, to counter-balance each other.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:

As for Axl being "the weakest link" in this, I don't think so. I reckon the quality suffers because of the fact that Axl did not have a band to back him up this time. Just a (talented) assortment of musicians hanging around, doing as he asks.

No chemistry between them, and it shows.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

ahem...

I would love to offer an opinion on these new leaks...

cough cough *pm* cough cough *link* cough cough *please*

Thank you smile

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

"catchy" does not equal great song unless you are talking pop music
quickly off the top of my head the blues and if the world both have great choruses, without trying to list them all.

the only dissappointment i have so far is the ballad dominated running list we have so far but i have faith that the rest of cd will be heavier.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
war wrote:

"catchy" does not equal great song unless you are talking pop music

True, but "incoherent" almost certainly equals not so great song.
That's my general opinion on these songs (all of them), they're incoherent and overproduced.

Oh, and someone should ritually slaughter Chris Pittman!

Board footer