You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

war wrote:
Bono wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I think this material stands up to UYI, is a very worthy edition to the GN'R catalogue. I do sometimes tire of it though, it doesn't seem to have the staying power that all the layering should create. What I really feel CD is meant to be, is like a firmly rock ridden version of NIN's The Fragile. Because of the layering, complexity, and grand production value... but it's not. I often think mixing NIN with Guns would create amazing material. Throwing in Axl and guitar solos to The Fragile like orchestral and acoustic music backdrops, you'd think, would create mindblowing pieces. But for every If The World, there's a Madagascar, which just doesn't get there.

It's not the greatest thing ever.

It's pretty damn great though.

It's weird how wide ranging the opinions are when it comes to the new material. I'm more of the opinion that for every Madagascar(2nd best CD song in my opinion) there's an If the World that doesn't quite get there. The most truthful thing that Axl ever said just might be when he suggested there will be stuff some people love, stuff that some people hate but there will be something for everyone.

i hear ya but i would never compare these particular two
madagascar is my favorite song if i had to pick one out of all of them

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
TheMole wrote:
war wrote:

"catchy" does not equal great song unless you are talking pop music

True, but "incoherent" almost certainly equals not so great song.
That's my general opinion on these songs (all of them), they're incoherent and overproduced.

Oh, and someone should ritually slaughter Chris Pittman!

LOL!

or atleast remove half of his parts from better

the phone's ringing can someone get it. it's for for you chris, it's axl, he says you're fired.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
TheMole wrote:
war wrote:

"catchy" does not equal great song unless you are talking pop music

True, but "incoherent" almost certainly equals not so great song.
That's my general opinion on these songs (all of them), they're incoherent and overproduced.

Oh, and someone should ritually slaughter Chris Pittman!

Pretty much agree with you there. It all just sounds like they threw the Pro-Tools up in the air and hoped for the best on some of these songs i.e If the World, Better especially.

Theres very little on display from these guys that can truly stand up to the name Guns N Roses and after such a long time thats a little bizarre. The truth of it to me is a case of 'too many cooks' - a bunch of talent with barely a shred of chemistry all chucking stuff into a pot and seeing what comes out.

Its great to have the new leaks and the songs arent bad but there certainly nothing special, although I'm surprisingly liking Rhiad after the disaster of the live version. The other two dont do a whole lot for me, especially If The World which is pretty much terrible.

Its hard to have a lot of hope and excitement for the album when we have heard half of in different forms a million times before. Its a shame that I (and I'd imagine others) are bored of it before its even released.

Well, if you guys didn't enjoy this then it's pretty much settled that you won't enjoy Chinese Democracy once it's finished either. More or less.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it's probably not too far from the truth if it keeps going down this road.

This is something new and obviously it can't please everyone -  but I'm just glad for my own sake since this is exactly what I wanted and expected from Guns N' Roses in this day and age.

I love this and I love the direction that it's going. I'm probably sounding biased, but that's how I truly feel.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
CrimeSlunkScene wrote:

Well, if you guys didn't enjoy this then it's pretty much settled that you won't enjoy Chinese Democracy once it's finished either. More or less.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it's probably not too far from the truth if it keeps going down this road.

This is something new and obviously it can't please everyone -  but I'm just glad for my own sake since this is exactly what I wanted and expected from Guns N' Roses in this day and age.

I love this and I love the direction that it's going. I'm probably sounding biased, but that's how I truly feel.

You wanted and expected lounge music from GNR in this day and age? Maybe I'm just fussy and want more rock and less ballads. Each to their own. Its gotta only be a short matter of time til this all leaks, then we can all be a bit more objective when listening to the whole album. Or maybe we are still 3 more versions of IRS away from the actual album. Who knows.

Locomotive98 wrote:

You wanted and expected lounge music from GNR in this day and age?

I would hardly call what we've heard so far "lounge music" - not even If The World.

And as I said, we see things in a completely different way, but I respect that.

I just think that it's unfortunate.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

I like it....I like it a lot....but i have to agree with the poster above who said that this would make an awesome solo record....

not sure if these are out-takes or demos, or songs which will never make it to the final selection, but so far they don't overshadow anything on appetite, or even illusions....

even though they are really good in their own way....

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree with most posters here, CD songs are good, most not great. Some pretty far from it. I like the older leaks (Better, CD, TWAT, Blues) best. Not a huge fan of Maddy or IRS, they're ok. I only listened to the new songs once, but I was at work so I had it pretty low (no headphones). Can't say I'm a fan, myb they'll grow on me.. or not.

CD to me is on pace to being ok. I'll buy it, but the 15 year hype should try to be downplayed. Still think Better should be the first single.

Board footer