You are not logged in. Please register or login.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Re: Another theory as to why the the ball is in the record company's hands

didn't axl go from geffen books to universal, and then to sanctuary ?

but then, sanctuary was bought out by EMI and Emi are now dropping loads of artists who " don't do what they should to promote themselves or who don't work hard enough" ( in their words)

So ?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

Is Mysteron even legit anymore? I'm sick of his be-as-vague-as-humanly-possible gimmick.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

Is Mysteron even legit anymore? I'm sick of his be-as-vague-as-humanly-possible gimmick.

Finally, people are starting to catch on to that douche's game.

That guy doesn't know shit about jack.  mad

bba

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
russtcb wrote:
the_real_jessica wrote:

didn't axl go from geffen books to universal, and then to sanctuary ?

but then, sanctuary was bought out by EMI and Emi are now dropping loads of artists who " don't do what they should to promote themselves or who don't work hard enough" ( in their words)

So ?

Last I heard from people actually at the label, the album will be printed on the Interscope label,

Just to clear this up:

-1999: GNR was at Geffen
1999-2003: Geffen became a part of Interscope, GNR now nominally at Interscope
2003-2004: Geffen relaunch, GNR is moved over to their roster. It's specifically Geffen that terminates future funding for CD.

The album will come out under the Universal umbrella. But I'd be curious to know whether Axl's been battling with the company to get back to Jimmy Iovine at Interscope, who proved to be much more patient with him than the then-Geffen CEO Jordan Scher.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I don't think its in the record company's hands. I think they may have heard it (or them) but they don't have the masters because Axl is negotiating. I think if it was with the record company, we'd have heard lots more rumours by now. You know the old phrase 'there's no smoke without fire' well we're not seeing, hearing or even smelling any smoke at this point. I hope I'm wrong though, I think if this carries on into late 08 people will lose interest. I bet now the number of posters at HTGTH and MYGNR has rapidly declined.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Naturally, when the label decides upon a release date, it'll be all over the company within the next few weeks, and will inevitably leak out simply because of the number of people involved. That's a sure-fire of the process having been started. I'd say we're currently looking at 2-3 months from point x before record would be out, as I strongly it has been completed.

I do agree with Scabman that point x is still in the future, as that'll be the day when Universal formally locks down the release date and has the master ready. Hard to say what the status of the subsequent albums might be, but they've been recording and mixing for a good while now. Before the European tour, the band had enough material for CD (13 songs), 13 other songs "nearly done", with another 6 work-in-progress cuts.

That would be enough songs to cover CD and the follow-up and half of the third album. A good amount of that material might be traced back all the way to the original midnight jams in late 90's, which has since been laboriously cut and pasted with ProTools into various takes, with various musicians and producers doing alternative takes. For instance, The General originates from mid-02 the latest, as that's when Marco Beltrami was brought in to work on some orchestral arrangements on it.

"The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. [...] They had finished tracks. On one song [Seven] I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it." - Beltrami

"One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so'¦ it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, peircing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, 'When is this coming out?' And he said '2012″ I was like, 'Dude, you're killin' me!' He goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" - Baz

Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if Axl had worked on two or three albums simultaneously, and with the lack of proper or even ordinary production management during the years (himself being the producer, sole lyrics writer, vocalist, etc. since 2002), it shouldn't come as a wonder why he would've been losing track of time more than once. He boasted years ago that lyrics are written last, once the music was done.  If The General, for instance, has this third album intertextuality going for it, Axl would've had to have an idea of three albums way back in 2002; otherwise he would've been forced to re-do a lot of lyrics in more recent times simply to match the trilogy concept.

In any case, I'd think they have a pretty good idea of what the second album is and what it will entail. That would be mean relatively finished recording, various mixes and completed lyrics. Otherwise there's very little point in working a on a third album song and playing it to your over-zealous opening act.

Board footer