You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: Guns N Roses on Universal Music Group Release List

Von wrote:

I like how they might even contemplate releasing an "anthology" of a band with three real albums worth of material.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

GN'R could never include their epics, which are Axl's babies, on a 1-CD album. They'd have to go 2-discs with it.

If you were to put November Rain, Coma & Estranged on one disc, you'd be lucky if you finished with a 10-track greatest hits collection.

Axlin08 wrote:

James hit the nail on the head. I've felt for the longest time that there would be no CD tour to support the album.

The theory would be that a GN'R reunion would be marketed as a REUNION with no ties to CD, but the promotion of having CD out with the brand name of "GUNS N' ROSES" on it, would allow it to get the upmost publicity and help juice sales. I wouldn't be shocked if an anthology album of the old band's back catalog were released to be the album that would be backed by the reunion tour, even if CD was out at the same time.

It's not that far fetched imo. I think recent years, and departing band members for other projects have proven there are no future plans for a new GN'R - at all. KISS put out Psycho Circus, which didn't even have Ace or Peter, and yet they were touring as a reunited-KISS.

Actually the name of the Kiss album was Carnival Of Souls,they had recorded it prior to the reunion and after the reunion tour had started it was released and it was one of their lowest selling albums because they didn't support it,also because it was leaked to the public so most Kiss fans already had it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

James hit the nail on the head. I've felt for the longest time that there would be no CD tour to support the album.

The theory would be that a GN'R reunion would be marketed as a REUNION with no ties to CD, but the promotion of having CD out with the brand name of "GUNS N' ROSES" on it, would allow it to get the upmost publicity and help juice sales. I wouldn't be shocked if an anthology album of the old band's back catalog were released to be the album that would be backed by the reunion tour, even if CD was out at the same time.

It's not that far fetched imo. I think recent years, and departing band members for other projects have proven there are no future plans for a new GN'R - at all. KISS put out Psycho Circus, which didn't even have Ace or Peter, and yet they were touring as a reunited-KISS.

I just don't see this happening.  I hear what you're saying, a reunion would help boost sales, no doubt.  But I find it hard to believe that Axl worked on this album for 9+ years to just release it and not tour to promote it or release any singles off it or anything.  I mean, it wouldn't make sense to release a single to radio and for them to intro it, "this is from Chinese Democracy, Axl's new band of hired guns, which no longer exists since the old band reunited, and they're not touring to promote the album, and none of the old members are on the album so it's doubtful they'll be playing this live.  So why are we playing this song again?"

Sorry if I got carried away there.  It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

But I find it hard to believe that Axl worked on this album for 9+ years to just release it and not tour to promote it

He has toured it already a number of times 16

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I could only see a reunion working in conjuction with the release of Chi Dem if it was released as an Axl Rose solo album and not under the name of GNR.

Aussie wrote:

I could only see a reunion working in conjuction with the release of Chi Dem if it was released as an Axl Rose solo album and not under the name of GNR.

Well like someone said it could be like Kiss did with Carnival Of Souls,do the reunion and release the album after and not even support the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And that's what I think COULD happen Slash_McKagan, just reverse with album first and then reunion or at the same time.

I also think you can't compare the flop of Carnival to a potential CD flop, because Carnival by all means was a throwback sound to classic KISS. Not exactly en-vogue in the late 90's with the explosion of nu-metal.

CD, at least from what's leaked, despite being unoriginal, has been a concious effort to be as modern as possible, at least by the standards of 2002, most of which styles are still "in" in rock.

Axlin08 wrote:

And that's what I think COULD happen Slash_McKagan, just reverse with album first and then reunion or at the same time.

I also think you can't compare the flop of Carnival to a potential CD flop, because Carnival by all means was a throwback sound to classic KISS. Not exactly en-vogue in the late 90's with the explosion of nu-metal.

CD, at least from what's leaked, despite being unoriginal, has been a concious effort to be as modern as possible, at least by the standards of 2002, most of which styles are still "in" in rock.

No I didn't mean that CD would be a flop,and I wasn't comparing CD to Carnival Of Souls,that would be hard to do anyway,but yes,they could do a reunion and then release it or release it at the same time as reunion,but if they did a reunion they would not play any songs from CD,so they wouldn't be supporting the album.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The theory would be that a GN'R reunion would be marketed as a REUNION with no ties to CD, but the promotion of having CD out with the brand name of "GUNS N' ROSES" on it, would allow it to get the upmost publicity and help juice sales.

I wouldn't be shocked if this scenario happens. When everything seemed to be going well in late 2005-early 2006, they almost did a reunion @ Download with CD release plans for late 2006. Somebody knows (or knew) in the GN'R/Universal camp that the new line-up doesn't have too much credibility to the public, plus they alieneted a lot os old schhol fans who are needed when te album comes out. So get Slash & Co for some shows and it'll legitimate the new line-up, too, since it shows that the old guys accept this new incarnation of GN'R and have no problemwith doing some shows, then letting them do a CD Tour under the name.

Board footer