You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Guns N Roses on Universal Music Group Release List

Axlin16 wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

And that's what I think COULD happen Slash_McKagan, just reverse with album first and then reunion or at the same time.

I also think you can't compare the flop of Carnival to a potential CD flop, because Carnival by all means was a throwback sound to classic KISS. Not exactly en-vogue in the late 90's with the explosion of nu-metal.

CD, at least from what's leaked, despite being unoriginal, has been a concious effort to be as modern as possible, at least by the standards of 2002, most of which styles are still "in" in rock.

No I didn't mean that CD would be a flop,and I wasn't comparing CD to Carnival Of Souls,that would be hard to do anyway,but yes,they could do a reunion and then release it or release it at the same time as reunion,but if they did a reunion they would not play any songs from CD,so they wouldn't be supporting the album.

Agreed.

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

James hit the nail on the head. I've felt for the longest time that there would be no CD tour to support the album.

The theory would be that a GN'R reunion would be marketed as a REUNION with no ties to CD, but the promotion of having CD out with the brand name of "GUNS N' ROSES" on it, would allow it to get the upmost publicity and help juice sales.

I wouldn't be shocked if this scenario happens. When everything seemed to be going well in late 2005-early 2006, they almost did a reunion @ Download with CD release plans for late 2006. Somebody knows (or knew) in the GN'R/Universal camp that the new line-up doesn't have too much credibility to the public, plus they alieneted a lot os old schhol fans who are needed when te album comes out. So get Slash & Co for some shows and it'll legitimate the new line-up, too, since it shows that the old guys accept this new incarnation of GN'R and have no problemwith doing some shows, then letting them do a CD Tour under the name.

Which would make sense as to why Izzy was pulled out of the wordwork to do several shows and play rhythm on the old AFD & Lies tracks, which was heavenly for us old Gunners to see Axl & Izzy back on stage together, but even at the time seemed plainly obvious that Izzy, who's now friends again with Axl, was trying to help him out by giving more legitimacy to the new band. I know as a diehard that during those shows, even in bootleg, I was biting at the bits to have Izzy back on stage, and totally blacked out the rest of the guys... and i'm a new band fan. I can't imagine what new band skeptics did, and it would've been even more accelerated if Slash was out there.

I think in some ways it was a good thing it didn't happen. Because the media would've been all over it, the majority of the world would've said "GN'R are back!" and the media would've rode that horse for months. Then suddenly, European fans who got a taste of old Guns at most shows, would've accepted it as such also. Then us North America fans when they hit the road in October 2006, MANY would've walked into venues expecting to see the old band, and would've gotten the new band.... they would've been BOOED unmercifully and heckled to death, not to mention had all kinds of shit thrown at them. Which is sad.

The only way for old & new to work at the same time is if an old member (Slash/Izzy) were to rejoin the band FULL time and tour. But you couldn't have pulled out Slash, Izzy & Duff for a few shows, and then yanked them back away. Axl's situation would've become even worse. He'd be on the road firing every new member of the band, and getting the old band members back asap, so the tour wasn't cancelled and he didn't have ANOTHER lawsuit to deal with and MORE riots to deal with.

At this point, with so many failed starts and just a general lack of knowledge among most casual fans, the new band has lost ALL credibility, starting in 2004. I can remember going to 2006 shows and breaking the news to those who weren't regularly "in the know" that Buckethead was out, and honest to God some contemplated LEAVING. And these were OLD Gunners. They know it, the new band fans know it.... it's time for Axl to mend fences. It'll just be better for everyone involved.

Sky Dog wrote:

the only fence that needs to be mended is Axl and Slash as everybody else is completely interchangeable.:|

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't see it that way. If Slash-only were to rejoin Guns, to me it'd just "Slash joins New GN'R". Not "old GN'R with a different lineup around Axl & Slash".

Yes I know most of the world would view it as a reunion, but i'd just see it as Slash with new Guns.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Spanish hoarder
 Rep: -3 

Why are talking about Axl-Ex members...the thread is about Guns N Roses on Universal Group Release List.

There are a rumor about a Gnr song in the new Dicaprio movie

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The one that's already out?

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

I don't know if the public gives ANY band notice for being 'credible' - just make music that sounds good and give good shows, from the leaks and the shows I've seen, the 'new' band has done this. The general public doesn't know Slash or Axl that well - so who cares. And music fans will shrug off 'it's not the original band' based on the music.

Really, uh, I doubt Universal's bean counters think a reunion will milk the money out. Axl is enough personality.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

some guy with only 6 posts is claiming that the deal with best buy has just been signed off and cd will come out nov. 25th. there will also be a new gnr song on the end credits for the upcoming diCRAPrio movie 'body of lies

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

some guy with only 6 posts is claiming that the deal with best buy has just been signed off and cd will come out nov. 25th. there will also be a new gnr song on the end credits for the upcoming diCRAPrio movie 'body of lies

I wish that guy was GNR's publicist.  Sounds like a pretty kick ass plan.  Let's set that in motion. 

You're probably referring to this, but I'll post it just in case.  I just read the thread from the Pearl Jam site, apparently it was posted at mygnr as well.  Not sure if the poster was the same guy.  A little more info given in this little blurb.

http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com/

I wouldn't get TOO excited yet though.  Sounds too good to be true.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer