You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

misterID wrote:

I'm actually most encouraged about Madagascar on the album. Looking at how CD changed there's no telling how Maddy's changed. Mostly the changes are vocals and adding 'more' into the music than changing the structure of the song. What killed CD for me might be what elevates Maddy.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

Axl looked like an idiot playing guitar during that performance. 18 I think Axl sounds good on the vocals, the backup singing is nice....everything is just perfect and loose. Bucket's guitar before he breaks in to the solo is cool as hell as well. Nice subtle lines from Finck. Solid bass and drums. Now, the recorded version sounds stiff and the odd off key solo is buried way down in the mix. Not to mention the 15 different Axl's on the outro. Why not let Tommy, Robin, and Chris do the background singing?....bring more soul in to it. Maybe the final mix will be better because I really love the lyrics and general construction of the song.:|

yeah i didnt dig the vocal layering on the back end of the latest leak hopefully they clean it up...but with the vocal layering on CD i have my doubts...that was one thing about or gnr there wasnt much obvious vocal layering cuz duff and izzy did the backing stuff (i dont wanna get into an old vs new...i'm just saying it worked in the past too bad Axl changed it)

and yeah axl looked weird playing guitar during that performance...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, the serpintine doesn't really go well with guitar 16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

ok just listened to CD really loud from gunsnroses.com

i gotta say that the vocal layers dont bother me on that song all that much they seem subdued enough not to distract me

the guitars are awesome in that track, and the drums at the beginning are great, the main vocals sound cool

the intro is way too long but it will guaranteed be clipped for all radio eventually i know some are reporting that stations are already cutting it

Bass is somewhat drowned out, and the drums during the song are average at best...i cant hear dizzy and tommy backing vocals at all, and the keyboards are not prominant either (not that i'm complaining) one last comment is that there are times where if you are trying to listen to everythign going on that it is damn near impossible to pick anythign out of the mix...there is just too much going on at times imo

still, all in all, i would say its a very solid track and its a good choice to launch this thing, its aggressive, short enough to get the whole song in on radio, despite what buzzsaw says i still the main riff is catchy enough as well

also some people claimed a lack of chorus...maybe so the "dont really matter" or the "more than you got to rule the nation" parts are as close to a chorus as we get

anyway thats my most critical review of the song...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Actually I think there's a very good chance the band will have contributing backup vocals on the final tracks.

Tommy & Dizzy are right there behind Axl on CD. And Tommy himself has a great voice, i'd love to hear a GN'R track with just him on vocals. He kind of sounds like a cross between Izzy & Duff.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i called waaf in boston last night to request it. i prefaced it with "i may be the only one asking for this but..." and bob hannah, the dj, told me there were quite a few people requesting it. i asked what he thought of the song and he said he liked it. different, but he liked it. i got out of the car before i got the chance to hear him play it.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I have yet to hear it on The Boneyard which surprises me.  The only thing I can think is that Trunk has a show on there on Mondays and they are going to let him debut the track.  I requested again just a few minutes ago so we will see if they play it.  They play a ton of the old band so it's got to be coming...

1-866-315-BONE

If anyone wants to give this a jolt on XM

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I love the Boneyard, but I'll be honest with ya, I don't hear a lot of current rock on there. Maybe I'm missing it. It always seems like a retro fest, except for BLS.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

Well the Boneyard played a lot of Bach last year.  If they play new Bach w/ Axl, I expected to hear new Guns w/ Axl.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I must not listen at the right times.

Board footer