You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If there is a reunion, where do people stand?

James wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

This question was posed in a different era.   Pre-DJ Ashba era.    The prospect of new material AND touring with Robin/Tommy/Richard was appealing and the animosity between the Axl and Slash camps were at an all time high.   

Fast forward 8-10 years and its just a different situation.     Replacements of replacements leave the band.   I think Axl even stopped pretending to care about releasing new material..   

Patching things up with Slash all the sudden was the best choice.

Great points.

I also think he threw in the towel in the Ashba era. The Chinese experiment made no sense with so many of its key players gone.

He had run out of road.....it was either embrace the top hat and Marlboros or retire.

What could've been...

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

God I was so loaded on Oxy back then. Sweet Baby Jesus. I've mentioned this before but when I came back last year I saw a lot of posts from years ago I don't even remember typing.

I guess it's a good thing I listened to Nancy (RIP). Just say NO.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I sort of hope some more music surfaces from then or is redone by the new-old-band.....

Only because only getting CD out seems like a poor use of time in Axl's legacy....

Bottom line is they will hang up the boots soon for age or death...so it's time to get serious about putting out some more records before it's too late.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

James Lofton wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

This question was posed in a different era.   Pre-DJ Ashba era.    The prospect of new material AND touring with Robin/Tommy/Richard was appealing and the animosity between the Axl and Slash camps were at an all time high.   

Fast forward 8-10 years and its just a different situation.     Replacements of replacements leave the band.   I think Axl even stopped pretending to care about releasing new material..   

Great points.

I also think he threw in the towel in the Ashba era. The Chinese experiment made no sense with so many of its key players gone.

He had run out of road.....it was either embrace the top hat and Marlboros or retire.

What could've been...

All I can say is, I was all about the band in 2006, traveled all over the place to see them.   Very exciting and optimistic.

CD comes out, finally.. it was nice, but there was almost a feeling of closure.

Then DJ Ashba joins the band.   

The band plays 2 residencies here in Las Vegas over the next few years.   I traveled over 2000 miles to see the band in 2006, but didn't manage to travel 20 miles to see them in my own city when I had multiple chances.  Full disclosure, I settled down, got married, had a kid between all that time and that was certainly a factor.  I wanted to go, but it wasn't high enough on the priority list.

Hell, if I wasn't a family man, and it this was happening back in 2006, I'd have driven down to LA last night at the hint of this warm up show.   I'm sure the energy is amazing down there, even for the folks who are hanging around without a ticket.. just hoping to get a listen from outside or catch a glimpse of the band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

I don't agree exactly. Axl ALWAYS cared about releasing new music. I can't remember who it was here at Evo (might've been Apex), who said from day one Axl met resistence from the label. Axl was ready to put out CD by 2000, 2001 at the latest. The label were the ones who felt it wasn't ready. When they rejected the album, especially in his emotional state at the time, that was a HUGE ego blow. Not to mention Axl had brought in big name producers such as Moby, Youth, Roy Thomas Baker and the legend himself Bob Ezrin, Ezrin of which summed it up as there wasn't much he could do to salvage Chinese, because there were no singles on the album. And there weren't at that time. Better came after the fact. Chinese didn't catch (and never would have), and Street of Dreams would've been a horrible single. The only things that album had that could've been marketed was Better and TWAT. And I stand by that.

Fast-forward to Chinese II in recent years. The label gave Axl NO support on the Chinese release. Every manager he hired tried to double-cross him into a reunion, and the label had pretty much made it clear that they would no release any future GN'R material. Axl also couldn't get live stuff released without Slash's consent, and both of them went back and forth with who would veto the other's live concert DVD/CD.

After awhile Axl just got beat down, and the cross of GN'R/AFD that he thought would be there to protect him, keep him in the band (when Niven tried to constantly get him fired), actually ended up becoming too much of a burden for Axl.

Axl was stuck. He couldn't release material. He couldn't get more than 5,000 people out to a show. And the label was constantly a pain in his ass. After awhile he just gave in, when he was finally ready.

For all we know Axl could've LOVED DJ Ashba's material... means nothing... label would've never released it and never promoted it.

All of this was a stare down at a poker game that Axl lost years ago when Slash left the band. Uni just was waiting to see when Axl finally figured it out and was willing to fold his cards at the table and give his ego away.

Mama's Good Boy

Axlin16 wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

I don't agree exactly. Axl ALWAYS cared about releasing new music. I can't remember who it was here at Evo (might've been Apex), who said from day one Axl met resistence from the label. Axl was ready to put out CD by 2000, 2001 at the latest. The label were the ones who felt it wasn't ready. When they rejected the album, especially in his emotional state at the time, that was a HUGE ego blow. Not to mention Axl had brought in big name producers such as Moby, Youth, Roy Thomas Baker and the legend himself Bob Ezrin, Ezrin of which summed it up as there wasn't much he could do to salvage Chinese, because there were no singles on the album. And there weren't at that time. Better came after the fact. Chinese didn't catch (and never would have), and Street of Dreams would've been a horrible single. The only things that album had that could've been marketed was Better and TWAT. And I stand by that.

Fast-forward to Chinese II in recent years. The label gave Axl NO support on the Chinese release. Every manager he hired tried to double-cross him into a reunion, and the label had pretty much made it clear that they would no release any future GN'R material. Axl also couldn't get live stuff released without Slash's consent, and both of them went back and forth with who would veto the other's live concert DVD/CD.

After awhile Axl just got beat down, and the cross of GN'R/AFD that he thought would be there to protect him, keep him in the band (when Niven tried to constantly get him fired), actually ended up becoming too much of a burden for Axl.

Axl was stuck. He couldn't release material. He couldn't get more than 5,000 people out to a show. And the label was constantly a pain in his ass. After awhile he just gave in, when he was finally ready.

For all we know Axl could've LOVED DJ Ashba's material... means nothing... label would've never released it and never promoted it.

All of this was a stare down at a poker game that Axl lost years ago when Slash left the band. Uni just was waiting to see when Axl finally figured it out and was willing to fold his cards at the table and give his ego away.

I admit to not being too much in the loop in 2010-2014..  So what you say about the new music is probably true.

but I think there was a lot more reason to be psyched about the current lineup from 2006, as opposed to 2014 after the second Vegas residency.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

2006 there was a reason to be excited. Post 2009? Not so much. Nothing was ever going to materialize out of that situation. EVER.

If you ever wanted new music....now there's a chance.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. I thought when DJ was brought in in 2009-10, that Axl might've been taking the next album seriously, and was willing to give in to current music trends. Think new GN'R music that was something like Sixx:AM tracks with Axl on vocals, and at that time there was alot of talk about the next GN'R record being 'self-titled', which lended even more into a possible reboot with DJ.

But when I saw them together, even though ironically the 2009-14 lineup is their longest lasting one, you could almost feel like Axl had quit and the whole thing was a nostalgia act, which James kept on to anyone who would listen -- and he was right.

After awhile, if you're gonna tour as a nostalgia act -- you might as well go get the players who made that music and make a lot more fucking money for the same amount of work.

I still ain't sure we'll see new music still. Axl could just be cashing in before retirement and this literally is nothing more than the 2014 band + Slash - DJ/Ron.

Time will tell

Mama's Good Boy

James Lofton wrote:

2006 there was a reason to be excited. Post 2009? Not so much. Nothing was ever going to materialize out of that situation. EVER.

If you ever wanted new music....now there's a chance.

Precisely.

In 2006, a reunion didn't appeal to me because there appeared to be some promising things going on.. particularly with Robin still in the band and Axl putting on great performances.

Plus the VR guys were doing there thing and were very successful. 

After Chinese came out, after DJ joined the band, after the second AFD residency, after VR broke up... a reunion made sense.

Mama's Good Boy

Axlin16 wrote:

I still ain't sure we'll see new music still. Axl could just be cashing in before retirement and this literally is nothing more than the 2014 band + Slash - DJ/Ron.

Time will tell

Hope not, but very possible.

Board footer