You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: If there is a reunion, where do people stand?

buzzsaw wrote:

Axl wrote some of the most troubling lyrics ever (in mainstream at least).  I hardly think he can judge someone else as not writing happy songs.

Slash wrote what he felt.  I don't imagine he was very happy at the time.  He was part of this great band that was falling apart and he wasn't strong enough to do what it took to hold it together.  I wouldn't be writing "Shiney, Happy People" at that point either.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

one of the songs on snakepit is about axl...i'm pretty sure, could be wrong though, what does everyone else think? remember this was written in about 1993-94ish, its part of the reason why some people say that Slash moved on from this shit 10+ years ago

What Do You Want To Be

Sour, this affliction
If it was me I'd have it fixed
And with everywhere you've been
You're much too old to be so naive

Chorus
So what the hell do you want to be
Following the trends that never end
I can't stand the parties you attend
So what the hell do you want with me

Oh, you're so underground
Oh, ain't that swell
Well the word is on the street
You're collecting sympathy and then you hide
And ya ain't been out in days
Will the sunshine burn your face
Preserve your precious skin
I'll go out, you stay in

Chorus

Please don't feed the pigeons
Out of the same sad bag of tricks
I've heard it all a million times
You make me sicker than
the wine you drink

So if you think I need some help
Climb out of your own shell
It'll make you think

So what the hell do you want to be
Following the trends that never end
Why is it that I can't stand your friends
So what the hell do you want with me

What the hell do you want to be
Following fashion in the sheets
Chasing every other flavor of the week
So what the hell do you want from me

What do you want to be
What do you want from me
Looking for anyone who's somebody
What do you want from me

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

the majority of those tunes were written for GnR, you can tell, same with Gilby's pawnshop guitars album, some of those songs were written for GnR .... just how they are constructed

Axl & Izzy wrote or co-wrote the majority of Guns N' Roses song lyrics...

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I never understood how gnr fans couldnt like snakepit 10 the only thing i can think of is that its cuz Axl doesnt sing on it....seriously i love that album, i listen to it regularily

It took me a long time to enjoy those albums for that very reason.  I know I come across as being pro Slash and anti Axl, but when it comes to them making music, I want to hear them together.  They complimented each other better than I would have thought possible given their different musical tastes.  Neither has done as well without the other in my opinion and I don't see that changing no matter how many VR albums we get or how many albums Baz claims Axl has finished.

One a complete side note, I am really starting to dig TWAT after I listened to it over the weekend for the first time in a long time.  That is a great song, but unfortunately I listen to it thinking what Slash could have done with it (not to minimize the great work BH did on it).

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

the majority of those tunes were written for GnR, you can tell, same with Gilby's pawnshop guitars album, some of those songs were written for GnR .... just how they are constructed

Axl & Izzy wrote or co-wrote the majority of Guns N' Roses song lyrics...

thats the operative word...everyone but Axl wrote or co-wrote the majority of Guns N Roses music

whats your point, depends why you listen to tunes? is it for music or for lyrics? and i'll tell you its not like Axl is a lyrical prodigy anyway, some of it is amazing to be sure, but some lyrics arent so shit hot either...IMO anyway 19

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

whats your point, depends why you listen to tunes? is it for music or for lyrics?

It doesn't sound like Axl would sing that stuff, if Axl wrote the lyrics the music would change, it was pretty clear that when it got to the UYI era half the music was based around the lyrics not the other way around.

My point is, to me it doesn't sound like a Guns N' Roses album, Guns N' Roses made three albums, two of them did not sound like AFD, Snakepit does not sound like AFD....

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

AtariLegend wrote:
russtcb wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

whats your point, depends why you listen to tunes? is it for music or for lyrics?

It doesn't sound like Axl would sing that stuff, if Axl wrote the lyrics the music would change, it was pretty clear that when it got to the UYI era half the music was based around the lyrics not the other way around.

My point is, to me it doesn't sound like a Guns N' Roses album, Guns N' Roses made three albums, two of them did not sound like AFD, Snakepit does not sound like AFD....

I know you already know this but:

AFD
Lies
UYI I
UYI II
TSI

I assume you're not counting Lies and TSI cuz one's an EP and the other is covers?

Yes and non of them sound like the Snakepit stuff either.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If there is a reunion I stand front row.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

If there is a reunion I stand front row.

You're going to have to fight off a lot of people.  If there was a reunion, it would likely be the biggest tour ever.  The potential earnings have grown over the years too, but at some point (and likely soon) it's going to reach it's peak in terms of potential.

I don't see a reunion happening anytime soon.  Even if Slash's book is intended to be somewhat nice to Axl, those around him will use it as a rallying cry for more anti-Slash sentiment.

Board footer