You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slimemonkey
 Rep: 1 

Re: Chinese Democracy Liner Note Discussions *EXTREME SPOILERS*

slimemonkey wrote:

Can anyone PM one that works pretty please?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

madagas wrote:

James was right on Tobias and Fortus. I always thought Tobias would get writing credits. However, I didn't think he would actually play on the album. Wonder why Axl didn't put his pic in there?

Me too, Tobias getting writing credit is no surprise, I didn't expect to see him as present on the songs though. Considering Fortus has been there what 7/8 years now and he makes only a minimal appearance and yet Ron's on every track (I think) and he's been in 2 years. Hell Frank drums a whole track which in total probably amounts to more of a contribution than Fortus has on this album.

The majority of songs on this album pre-date Fortus starting with the band so his lack of writing credit is no surprise, yet Axls said a couple of times they've written songs with Fortus so there's newer material in the vault that has his fingerprints on it. Whether ever hear/see it is a different story.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
madagas wrote:

James was right on Tobias and Fortus. I always thought Tobias would get writing credits.

Paul and Dizzy recorded the earliest jams of the new era, starting from '96 with seven songs that were then worked on by Slash, Duff, Matt, Dizzy, Paul and Ax.

Stuff like This I Love, Prostitute and Oklahoma can actually date back to the 'lost' GNR album from fall '96. 

madagas wrote:

Wonder why Axl didn't put his pic in there?

Maybe Paul didn't want to...?

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

if you count the thank you's....
and count the pics....
one of those pics GOTTA be him

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

the only thing that surprises me is that people are actually surprised about anything related to this album.

the majority of these songs are old. the other 30+ songs are probably from 2001-present day. therefore, they will likely have a greater influence from the musicians that were around during this period.

i haven't looked at liner notes in years. but i was happy to see the great level of detail regarding who was involved in playing and piecing these songs together.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

sic. wrote:

Paul and Dizzy recorded the earliest jams of the new era, starting from '96 with seven songs that were then worked on by Slash, Duff, Matt, Dizzy, Paul and Ax.

Stuff like This I Love, Prostitute and Oklahoma can actually date back to the 'lost' GNR album from fall '96.

It's interesting to think that you could stick the 90s demo versions of IRS and TWAT together with Prostitute and This I Love, bulk it out with the better tracks from It's Five O'Clock Somewhere and you'd basically have the 96 GNR album...

Metal Matt
 Rep: 0 

Metal Matt wrote:

I'll take a PM if possible. Thanks.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

It's interesting to think that you could stick the 90s demo versions of IRS and TWAT together with Prostitute and This I Love, bulk it out with the better tracks from It's Five O'Clock Somewhere and you'd basically have the 96 GNR album...

And it's not even a stretch.

Snakepit is essentially a collection of Slash's GNR songs. Strip the orchestral arrangements from Prostitute and you'll get a very bare-bones ballad in the four-minute margin, albeit with an aggressive rhythm section.

In that sense, the 96 album would've been a definite step down from the produced-to-death UYI's. However, almost anything would've been viewed that way at the time. A more heartfelt, mature version of AFD in some ways. Had the band stuck together, it would've no doubt been viewed as a stop-gap release.

Pearl Jam was falling with No Code, while Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar and Korn's Life is Peachy would lay the groundwork for the rest of the decade as far as nu-metal would be viewed - and there's a door I doubt GNR would've ever dared to open. GNR, if coming out with an album in '97, might've found some audiences from the alternative scene, the Radiohead/Faith No More crowds. Most of their former peers had sufficed to release collections, so it was generally going to be an uphill battle no matter what.

The ways the recording process in '96 has been described by Slash, Ax and others, Ax's leaning towards alternative metal seems to fit the bell. He did want to change the direction of the band; his seemingly obvious choice would've therefore been to introduce the bluesy hard rock sound of GNR into alternative; the hardest, loudest straight-up guitar album they could've made. That would've carved GNR a whole new niche in the genre and they might've survived in some form, even though world domination would've hopelessly fallen beyond the reach.

Some people would've obviously picked the band on deserting their roots and going with the flow, others would've noted how they'd be trying so hard to metamorphose into something new that it's not enjoyable anymore. Of course, some would've liked it, but I doubt that in the long run it would've been considered much more than one of those albums established acts push out every now and then.

Basically, it would've been about justifying their existence during the interim.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
sic. wrote:

I've been saying that for years and dont forget to include a couple songs from duff's "believe in me" and gilby's "pawnshop guitars" in the mix

mcalldp
 Rep: 1 

mcalldp wrote:
sic. wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

And it's not even a stretch.

Snakepit is essentially a collection of Slash's GNR songs. Strip the orchestral arrangements from Prostitute and you'll get a very bare-bones ballad in the four-minute margin, albeit with an aggressive rhythm section.

In that sense, the 96 album would've been a definite step down from the produced-to-death UYI's. However, almost anything would've been viewed that way at the time. A more heartfelt, mature version of AFD in some ways. Had the band stuck together, it would've no doubt been viewed as a stop-gap release.

Pearl Jam was falling with No Code, while Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar and Korn's Life is Peachy would lay the groundwork for the rest of the decade as far as nu-metal would be viewed - and there's a door I doubt GNR would've ever dared to open. GNR, if coming out with an album in '97, might've found some audiences from the alternative scene, the Radiohead/Faith No More crowds. Most of their former peers had sufficed to release collections, so it was generally going to be an uphill battle no matter what.

The ways the recording process in '96 has been described by Slash, Ax and others, Ax's leaning towards alternative metal seems to fit the bell. He did want to change the direction of the band; his seemingly obvious choice would've therefore been to introduce the bluesy hard rock sound of GNR into alternative; the hardest, loudest straight-up guitar album they could've made. That would've carved GNR a whole new niche in the genre and they might've survived in some form, even though world domination would've hopelessly fallen beyond the reach.

Some people would've obviously picked the band on deserting their roots and going with the flow, others would've noted how they'd be trying so hard to metamorphose into something new that it's not enjoyable anymore. Of course, some would've liked it, but I doubt that in the long run it would've been considered much more than one of those albums established acts push out every now and then.

Basically, it would've been about justifying their existence during the interim.

Well though-out post and I see your point. In a way they left while still being one of the biggest bands of the world and skipped the whole downtime in the industry when things went into chaos eventually leading us to the Disney stars taking over (Britney etc...) They are coming back at a time when the industry is changing again and that may, in fact, work out well for the long-term legacy of GNR (to have been dormant during that time) We'll see....

Board footer