You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Chinese Democracy official reviews thread

gnfnraxl wrote:
madagas wrote:

bullshit.......you are lying straight through your teeth. You guys win. Every other post is a flame war. You win. You and Buzz and Bono and Locomotive and Olorin and Skippy and etc etc etc, you are the TRUTH. I give up....and for the record, what exactly has Axl said? 21

Madagas.  I'm happy the album is getting some good reviews.  And I hope it does well.  I gave the album a good review.  I ain't saying people have to agree with me all the time.  Sometimes I'm right, some times I'm wrong.  Me I like to take the positive and negative cause I wanna hear both sides.  Sometimes the truth favors Axl, and sometimes it doesn't.  I refuse to believe everything Axl says and refuse to glorify everything he does.  If he does something positive I'll acknowledge it and I'll be glad for him.  If he does something wrong I,,l acknowledge it as well and it bugs me.  And let's face it, Axl hasn't been handling his business all that good lately.  But he proved he can make a good album without the old lineup.  And that is huge man.  But no way I'll be an Axl 13 kisser.

Sky Dog wrote:

Nobody is asking you to be an ass kisser. I just find it weird that the album finally gets released-it's over it's done-and the anger and craziness on this board has multiplied. All the old issues come back to life with even more vitriol than before. I just think people weren't really telling the truth and showing their true feelings in the past. Now, the real Slim Shady is showing up and true battle lines are drawn. In the end, after all the bullshit this whole saga put us through, I guess it is understandable. 19

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I like the music.
I'm just not happy with the sloppy manner it was presented and the continuing lack of respect shown towards fans.

For anyone to say, you got the album so just be happy and forget and ignore everything else, well I'm not like that.
I cant ignore all of the wrongs just because there is one right. I did buy the album you know, it wasnt a gift.

There is no battle lines and noone here wants to see bad reviews because thats unfair, its a very good album.

Open discussion between fans about pros and cons is all it is.

There are places where the cons are simply deleted, and that is far worse and bitter than simple criticism.

I dont think anyone has seen a negative review and said "oh I agree with that!

But anyone who agrees with a balanced review is apparently a hater.

Its like the attitude on the big sites, a overwhelming positive review is greeted as the pinnacle of journalism, a fair review is "bah, this guy obviously doesnt get it", and a negative review is "OMG this fucker derserves cancer!"

Sky Dog wrote:

I am not talking about whatever the hell you just posted. I don't give a fuck what happens at other boards. All I am saying is that the record being released has finally opened people up to express their true feelings. This is and has always been a board for the "disenfranchised " Gnr fan....a board to sound off your grievances. Easily 3 out of every 4 posts is negative. You can post however you want, just be honest and don't try to act like you really care when you don't. Don't act like you want to see good reviews when deep down, you really don't. Anybody who focuses on something as trivial as thanking George Chin twice in the liner notes is just itching to complain. Whatever, I'm done with this. (I'm sure some here would like to see that!).

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

You dont know a god damn thing about what I want. You really think anyone posts anything other than what they believe? Your deluded, and your view is as narrowminded and polarised as what you are accusing others of.

Your trying to trivialise the booklet issue by spinning it as if there is one easily made error contained within it. Seriously?

Sky Dog wrote:

told ya...I'm done. It's all trivial actually.... Have fun debating about the Catcher in the Rye solo. Man, Axl should have done that....

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

from my romanian friend..
"just to show that romania really is shitty...there was an article about chinese democracy in a pretty important magazine...and it said something like: 'after 15 years axl, slash and co have released chinese democracy'" 
smile) lolll

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

heres a small review by knac.
Submitted by Jenna Williams, The Scream Queen

If you have never heard any songs by Guns N’ Roses prior to Chinese Democracy, then you might as well rate it with at least 4 out of 5. However, if you’ve been a die-hard fan since their first studio released album Appetite for Destruction, you may find yourself disappointed and angry that it’s not at all of what you expected.

It’s hard to compare Guns N’ Roses newest studio album Chinese Democracy, to anything from before 1991 because there is no doubt that it differs dramatically. The album has tracks with bluesy guitar solos, rhythmic/techno beats, a mature sounding Axl Rose, and even some tastes of funk mixed in. It leaves you with hints of the old Guns N Roses with songs like Street of Dreams and Sorry, as well as innovating notions of what could be waiting in the future, such as Better and If the World. Each song you listen to will have a definite new surprise.

Although, this may be “Guns N’ Roses” the overall instrumentals and modernized sound may as well confirm what it says on GunsNRoses.com – Axl Rose and Company, which should be the real title of the CD.

* * * 1/2
3 and a half?!? lol
thats not bad considering ive yet to see 1 comment on that site regarding anything to do with gnr that doesnt have the word sucks in it.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

Stern played a bit of the album today.  Heres all the relevant points from www.marksfriggin.com:

Earlier in the show
Howard said they had to announce the winner of the ''I Want to be Howard stern'' contest. They have Ham Hands Bill, Sam Tripoly and Dante as the three finalists. He said he has to get to that and also play the new Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy. Howard said he wants to hear what took 30 years to make. They had to go to break a short time later.

Howard Plays Guns N' Roses New Album. 12/01/08. 9:40am

Howard moved on to the Guns N' Roses ''Chinese Democracy'' album and played a track off of that. Howard said he liked what he was hearing so far. He said it sounds like a pig... or a duck. Then he realized they weren't playing the Beetlejuice game anymore.

Howard played the title track off the album and they were all liking that. Then he played ''Shackler's Revenge'' and then ''Better'' and said that they get the idea, it's pretty rockin'. Robin didn't like that ''Better'' song much.

Howard played ''Catcher in the Rye'' next. It was a little slower than the other songs. Howard said he liked that one. He said he doesn't know why it took them that long to make the album though. Robin said that they must have meant that Axl just had to get as old as he is now to make something this good.

Howard played another track, ''Prostitute,'' and said that the album was banned in China. Howard ended up playing the Brian McKnight song that they played earlier when High Pitch Mike was in there. He said that turned him gay the first time he heard it. Howard said that he wanted to hear the song and let it play a little bit. Fred threw in a gagging sound a few times during the song.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

ouch!

Guns N' Roses' fine-print insanity
By Rob Harvilla
Published on December 01, 2008 at 6:24pm
We can all agree that Nov. 23's eons-delayed release of Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy marks the death of something — some combination of the music industry, old-guard rock stardom, irony, sincerity, free-market capitalism, hip-hop, the spread offense, and neo-conservatism. Regardless, I feel comfortable stating that it's the last record I will ever buy just to read the liner notes. Holy shit. Do pop into Best Buy and have a gander.

(Deep breath.)

Fourteen studios in four cities. Twenty-two assistant engineers. Eight folks under the heading "Additional Pro Tools." Six more under "Logic." The recurring phrase "initial production." Eleven musicians get their own personal thank-you lists; deranged mastermind Axl Rose's requires nearly three columns of tiny-ass type. (Notable names: Mickey Rourke, Donatella Versace, Izzy Stradlin.) And these are just full-album credits; all 14 songs get their own personal bibliography. "There Was a Time" has six guitarists (five is more common) and five orchestral arrangers; "Madagascar" boasts not just French horns but synth French horns, plus clips from two Martin Luther King speeches and dialogue from Mississippi Burning, Cool Hand Luke, Braveheart, Casualties of War, and Seven.

I look forward to rereading these liners in Best Music Writing 2009; you will greatly prefer them, at least initially, to Chinese Democracy itself. For what has really died here is the word overproduced. It will no longer suffice. So suffocating, so paranoid-android synthetic, so ludicrously engorged is Axl's magnum opus that you will have no problem believing it took dozens of people millions of dollars and nearly two decades to complete. This is the mythical burrito microwaved by God that's so hot, God himself cannot eat it. Upon first, second, third, and quite possibly tenth listen, it's a deeply unpleasant experience. You'll warm up to it. Maybe.

Cling to Axl's voice. He's still got it, that deranged shriek-to-moan bazooka of lust, contempt, pathos, and megalomania that made us love him in the first place. And though he frequently sounds like a cruise-ship parody of himself, this record gets better the more ridiculous it becomes. Daffy guitar solos by gentlemen named Buckethead and Bumblefoot enliven fairly turgid compu-thrash riff-rockers; eye-rolling piss-and-moan heartbreak dirges ("You're the only one I have ever loved that has ever loved me," etc.) are mercifully eclipsed by anthems of defiance.

That you can now purchase this album — that heartless major corporations patiently waited 1.5 decades for its fruition — makes a better case for the American Dream than the election of Barack Obama. The subtext imbues otherwise pedestrian tunes with a gleeful self-help delight: "Scraped" bashes around gracelessly but means what it fuckin' says when it says, "Nothing's impossible/I am inconquerable." That wasn't a word; it is now.

Again: Three full listens and/or four full hours, minimum, before you reach this state of admiration. Inevitably, Chinese Democracy sounds like too many cooks following way too many recipes. "Shackler's Revenge" is a charmless butt-rock dud infinitely more tolerable as a Guitar Hero download. And "Sorry" is a plodding, sub-Daughtry knuckle-dragger wherein Axl accosts one of his myriad enemies with deeply lame gibes like "You talk too much/You say I do/Difference is, nobody cares about you." You can fall in love with the idea of this album, but nothing packs a tenth of the vitality and exhilaration of, oh, let's say, "It's So Easy."

God, "It's So Easy." You put on Appetite for Destruction (in, like, 1987), cranked up "Welcome to the Jungle," and believed that no finer specimen of vicious, exhilarating rock 'n' roll hedonism could ever exist, and then came track two: "It's So Easy." It's an objectively perfect song, and though objectively perfect songs aren't effortless, per se, they sound that way — the effort, the craft, the forethought, the money, the time, and the personnel they require is the least interesting and prominent thing about them. Chinese Democracy is the inverse: a would-be Hollywood blockbuster upstaged by its own credits.

http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-12-03/musi … t-insanity

Board footer