You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: "Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? Does Anyone Care?"

Axlin16 wrote:

I think it's quite amazing the mixed emotions at this album's release.

No one can say CD is 'predictable' in that sense. This saga has been the stuff movies are made of. If CD's saga were put into film, it'd make "Some Kind Of Monster", look like a movie trailer for the real deal.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

The negativity is certianly justified i think. 

I think most people hold hope that something will happen.  If it doesn't, oh well.  Axl was able to finally get this album off his chest.  We'll see what the future holds.  (hopefully more music)

JordanRose
 Rep: 6 

JordanRose wrote:
BurningHills wrote:
JordanRose wrote:

I'm feeling really bummed out but madagas and Big Bri are right. If we got to January and nothing had changed then the pessimism would be valid. For now I'll stick with frustration.

I'm not even frustrated.

The album is coming out.

The single is a smash at rock radio.

There's been a decent amount of publicity.

Besides the facts that we don't know who the third guitarist would be for a tour and that Axl himself hasn't spoken yet, both very minor issues for the time being, what is there to be negative or frustrated about?

Would you rather the silent era of 2003-2005?

I completely understand what you're saying and agree. The frustration comes from being 100% sure through that period and before that when the album was announced that it would be Game On: the last massive, multi-million dollar, world-wide traditional release of an album, perhaps ever, before physical sales, singles, b-sides etc become a thing of the past.

I thought that when it hit we'd have Axl's 10,000 word explanation that was going to be printed in RS in 2000, plus an extra 10,000 words. I thought the band would be unleashed upon every magazine and tv show in the world yada yada, blah blah.

Going from that expectation to the reality we have sucks.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

This album is the 2002 album released 6 years too late. I always said GNR's failure to communicate would be their downfall in the end. Little did I know that it was this failure (or was it?) that in the end would save Chinese Democracy from flopping.

Since they never bothered so much about telling who was in the band or not etc etc and the media always played the "this is Axl's solo thing" and "revolving door of musicians" then it doesn't really matter to the general public who's in the band on the point of release.

CD will sell.

But for me with a bittersweet taste in my mouth.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

well i for one believe around 99 to 2000 should have been the release of this album. i remember the spin issue in 99 with axl on the front and the whole " what the worl needs now is axl rose " cover. then the rolling stone shit around the same time. we might not have had "better" or another one or two perhaps but by now ( 2008 ) maybe the third album worth of shit would have come out already ( in a  perfect world. )  great post by the way sic and great thread in general. another reason why i love this fuckin' forum.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I gotta say I'm surprised at alot of the "doom and gloom". I know this much at this point; I've waited for the next Guns N' Roses album for a long time. And now it's finally coming out in just over a week. Everything I've heard from it until now has me excited for what I haven't heard.

Dude, no kidding. Sometimes I wonder if people start and post on forums of bands, but don't even like the music! Haha.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

the lack of promotion doesnt really surprise me...in fact its way more than i thought we would see by this time.

i'm sure a game plan is set and that once the album is out that they will be firing on all cylinders (promotion wise) the status of the band is a bit up in the air with robin in limbo and shadows of rumors surrounding tommy and reunions...but both should be quenched in time...we just have to be patient (we should be good at it by now)

once some units sell and some of the $$$ is recouped then the promotional gears should go into overtime...you can bank on that 22

as for the 01 band..well things happen and people need to carry on with careers, especially when they are contract players...these guys are not partners folks, they dont have unlimited cash and need to live as most have families of their own. Regardless, as the court documents say, Axl is the sole partner of the GnR brand name these days, who follows him in a live setting doesnt matter so much as long as they can replicate the material with some degree of proficiency, yes we would like to have band members we know and are comfortable with...in some cases it jsut will not happen, plain and simple...we'll all have to learn to deal with whoever plays the support group to uncle axl

as for the leaks which we;ve all heard...not all of us have heard it all, there is a select group holding out for a few sweet surprises on day #1

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Fantistic post sic. Great writing...i'm not sure I agree with everything you've written but it was a well crafted and thought out piece and definately the sort of thing that makes this board the place to be.

Myself, i'm not counting out the new GNR just yet. I agree the lack of promo is bizzare and scary...but I feel maybe they have something planned. I hope so...because IMHO these songs are better than what's on the radio these days...so it ought to take the rock world by storm, and if it doesn't then something's been handled wrong.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

I agree with Neemo's post

As I said in regards to promotion on another board, this is an album, not a movie.  To paint the picture an average wide release studio movie gets about $15-30 million in advertising budget for their theatrical run.  The biggest albums get maybe $5 million.  Combine this with the short attention spans of modern consumers and it would be idiotic to dilute the advertising budget equally over an 8 week span.  The smart move is to spend most of it in the last week or two

I don't see what more promotion people want.  There have been billboards in major cities, national TV ads, and viral stuff.  They've had people issuing fake parking tickets advertising CD on the windshield of every cars in the parking lots at Metallica and AC/DC concerts.  The single is charting high and selling a ton of digital downloads internationally.  Black Ice, which was by far the most heavily promoted album this year, didn't really ramp up the campaign until the week before it came out

And as for giving interviews to magazines and doing late night talk shows, that stuff is so outdated in terms of actually selling albums.  It doesn't work anymore.  If it did, Libertad would have gone double platinum, not double brick, because those guys were in every rock magazine, on every talk show, on radio stations nationwide, and their album didn't sell shit.  I think people expecting an old school marketing campaign are out of touch with the times and the realities of the music business.  People aren't going diamond and selling out stadiums anymore.  So much of the money today is made off of ringtones, digital singles, video game downloads and licensing fees, the business has just changed a lot and the marketing reflects that

Board footer