You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: With the release of CD lets just see all the bridges Axl has burned.

Axlin16 wrote:

VR also played to half-empty arenas most of the time.

Do the math.

Axl + Slash = Stadium sell outs

Both of them will only find 50% success without each other. I don't think it's got anything to do with fans. They'll find new ones, just like Metallica did after Napster.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Do the math.

Both of them will only find 50% success without each other. I don't think it's got anything to do with fans. They'll find new ones, just like Metallica did after Napster.

I'm pretty sure VR's first tour sold out but could be wrong.  But see you blame GNR's tour problems on Slash.  Axl is the one that no showed many gigs including Philly and Vancouver and left gigs after a couple songs like in Montreal, St-Louis etc.  VR's problems stemmed from the fact that they were trying to have people believe they were something they were not.  A complete GNR tour with Bucket in 2002 and Axl actually showing up and completing his sets would've sold out I'm pretty sure.  Maybe Sic can help, but the few concerts they did in 02 were they sell outs?  Let's face it a band with the stature of GNR usually has a very loyal cult following.  And those bands usually sell out on tour.  Think about Pearl Jam, Tool, Dave Matthews Band and many more.  They may not sell the most records anymore but they have sell out tours.  Why?  Cause they treat their fans like gold.  I'm not saying Axl has to give interviews left and right.  I can't remember the last time I saw Vedder do an interview.  But Axl should use Ron for that.  Have your concerts available on cd like PJ.  Just be fan friendly.  Axl can still be a recluse while doing that.  If he don't know how alls he has to do is call Vedder.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I'm sure he'll get right on that man. God knows he loves Canadians.

Actually you shouldn't laugh at Bono.  Axl has burned a lot of bridges with a llot of fans.  And in this day and age with all the downloading, Axl will need all the fans he has and had.  He needs to mend those bridges.  Want proof?  Axl played to half emptied arenas more times that you can imagine on his last tours.  Something that wouldn't have happened 15 years ago.  And Axl can't blame it all on Slash's departure or Bucket's or anyone else's departure.  It's time for him to man up and take responsability for his actions.

Mom? Is that you?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Do the math.

I'm pretty sure VR's first tour sold out but could be wrong.  But see you blame GNR's tour problems on Slash.  Axl is the one that no showed many gigs including Philly and Vancouver and left gigs after a couple songs like in Montreal, St-Louis etc.  VR's problems stemmed from the fact that they were trying to have people believe they were something they were not.  A complete GNR tour with Bucket in 2002 and Axl actually showing up and completing his sets would've sold out I'm pretty sure.  Maybe Sic can help, but the few concerts they did in 02 were they sell outs?  Let's face it a band with the stature of GNR usually has a very loyal cult following.  And those bands usually sell out on tour.  Think about Pearl Jam, Tool, Dave Matthews Band and many more.  They may not sell the most records anymore but they have sell out tours.  Why?  Cause they treat their fans like gold.  I'm not saying Axl has to give interviews left and right.  I can't remember the last time I saw Vedder do an interview.  But Axl should use Ron for that.  Have your concerts available on cd like PJ.  Just be fan friendly.  Axl can still be a recluse while doing that.  If he don't know how alls he has to do is call Vedder.

I'm a huge new band fan and Bucket fan, and I can say with complete honesty that new GN'R was ALWAYS destined for modest success, and Axl knows that. He's not stupid.

On their best day, with full success and popularity, new GN'R were destined to only have maybe 2/3 of the popularity of the old band for a variety of reasons. 1) It ain't 1992 anymore, 2) Slash ain't there, 3) Axl is now 40+, not the young rebel anymore, 4) Every band suffers from the "been there, done that" syndrome.

If GN'R were to have reunited in 2002, and toured the world, I don't think it would've been as big as it would be now. 2002, those bands were not necessarily doing anything. Why? Because... there wasn't much interest. Even Metallica saw down time after Reload, not due to Napster, but just due to the logistics of the business at the time.

New GN'R were never poised to rule the world. Axl was never going to save the day. It was as much of a myth, as the man himself. It was a pipe dream.

VR might've sold out on curiosity, but VR had a MASSIVE media push, almost to the point of overexposure. Hell, when they originally started off, headlines were actually reading "Bandmates Slash, Duff McKagen & Matt Sorum to reform GUNS N' ROSES sans Axl Rose". That was on E! Network. A big news source. Of course, it was VR.

The Slash-biased media was alive and well, talking out of their ass as always. There was a buzz, based solely on misinformation. VR got concert tix sold, a multi-platinum... and what became of their attendence later? Libertad? That buzz that got them off the ground was gone, and their music was so lousy, no one was going to stick around for the encore. Libertad sold what it sold solely on the hardcores.

If GN'R had Slash. Say he had never left in '96. Stayed with the band. GN'R would've still faced a decline period, for sure... but I don't think GN'R-the band would've put up with 99.99999999999999999999% of the obsticles they've faced and dealt with, because it's a Slash-less GN'R. Why do you think Axl's always been so hardcore, about not having that
guy back in GN'R? Because it's a metaphoric white flag. He knows this. His ego (and I don't blame him) has to have Slash come back with his tail between his legs.

Even Pittman alluded to it in a recent interview, with the GN'R sound. Axl could very well revisit AFD, of the classic GN'R, if you will. He chooses to do something different. Which is cool, and he knows what comes with that. If Axl truely thinks he can reinvent GN'R with the new band, but on the same status as the old, he's as crazy as everyone thinks he is. I don't think he's that crazy. I think the man is happy with the fans he's got. 5,000-10,000 a show. A cozy audience. At this point he's went all Izzy on us, and more than that might scare the dude away. He's gotta have a shrink to go out and perform in front of THAT MANY. He'd have to have a psychiatric team of doctors for a world stadium tour with a reunion.

GNR's status, does have SOME to do with Axl's poor decision making, but a small minority. The reality is - some care, others don't give a fuck. And the exact same applies to Slash. Slash was a Baz-level has been, before VR. He was done. They used the supergroup gimmick to get VR off the ground, and leeched on the GN'R name. If VR's lead singer was Eric Dover, do you truely believe it would've had the same success? Or Izzy & Duff sharing frontman duties? Hell no.

The saga of Axl Rose and Chinese Democracy (although not told yet), will be the exact same imo. CD is amazing - to a diehard. To a casual - it's a good album. But past the initial multi-platinum sales, interest will die (if it's not already dead with Axl's false starts), and he'll be back to square one, just like Slash. Tour to 50% of a fan base (Slashites). Axlites doing the other 50% with new GN'R. Or do you combine forces to bring back the beast?

In the words of Gen. Patton - "you'll know what to do" 22

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
war wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Actually you shouldn't laugh at Bono.  Axl has burned a lot of bridges with a llot of fans.  And in this day and age with all the downloading, Axl will need all the fans he has and had.  He needs to mend those bridges.  Want proof?  Axl played to half emptied arenas more times that you can imagine on his last tours.  Something that wouldn't have happened 15 years ago.  And Axl can't blame it all on Slash's departure or Bucket's or anyone else's departure.  It's time for him to man up and take responsability for his actions.

Mom? Is that you?

Yes son!  Now go to your room and finish your homework!  And don't forget to eat brocoli!  14

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:

I disagree Axlin.  If any band had a shot at making a successful comeback wether it was with or without Slash it's GNR or Axl.  Axl blew it.  The 02 tour really hurt him.  And it could explain why the 06 tour didn't do as good at the Box Office as it should and could have.  I can tell you that I waited 3 days before the show before I bought my tix in 06.  And when I bought them I got them on a buy one get 1 free cause they didn't sell.  And even when I got there, it was still in the back of my mind that he could cancel it.  And when they got on stage until I'd say they played the 5th song I was wondering if he would walk out again (Like he did in Montreal).  Nobody likes to buy tix to a show and see it get cancelled for no valid reasons.  And when you buy a ticket to see GNR or Axl the odds are that it is what will happen.  I don't like it but let's face it, that's the way it is.

Edit: Same goes with CD.  Axl had so many false starts and so many empty promises regarding CD that deep down inside I don't think I'll fully believe that it's coming out until I get it.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

A friend and I were going to see them in Milwaukee on the last tour, and then the day before the show they canceled it. At least they didn't cancel it the night of the show, with a packed house. But still, my friend refuses to go see them again if they do tour.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Let's face it, Axl's played more shows than he's cancelled. The odds aren't that he'll cancel. That's something the media's blown way out of proportion. To anyone who had a show cancelled on them, I'm sorry to hear that for you. But that's Guns N' Roses. That's part of the allure of this band and its frontman. Axl Rose has never played by the rules, so now that there's more chinks in his armor, now that his band is sans Slash, it's easy to really come down on this guy with all your might. It's funny how the things that made you love somebody, that blew them up to mythic proportions, all of a sudden tears them down to trash level. I'm not condoning Axl's actions so much as I'm saying I'm sick of hearing these late start arguments and wish people would just ... move on. Like huntermc's friend did, don't buy another ticket if you're tired of this sort of thing happening. For everyone else, wake up call, that's the band. That's Axl Rose. Either like them or don't.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

he should, by and large Canada is pretty pro GnR...at least Ontario is ...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer