You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NickNasty2009
 Rep: 2 

Re: GNR Evo members' Chinese Democracy reviews thread

Well, since it seems we're largely doing track by track

Chinese Democracy- A great stage setter...love the intro, Chinese voices muttering, etc. Thal's additions make it better than previous versions, but i think the three layers of lyrics are a bit much.

8/10

SR- As a rocker and a very BH-influenced song it works, but it doesn't work for the epicness of the rest of the record--feels like it was thrown on at the last second. weakest lyricism of the album as well

5/10

Better- Has a cynical pop feel to it..the music (until the breakdown) is upbeat while the lyrics are ironic. Love the added guitars

8/10

Street Of Dreams--Solid ballad and I like the fact the outro was lyricised.

8/10

If the World- Maybe I am a sucker for spanish guitar...never thought i would hear it in conjunction with a GnR record, but it works. Some of the most impressive vocal work by Axl bar none.

9/10

TWAT- What was my favorite early demo has slid as more and more down my favorite list as more orchestration and sound was thrown on it--what was an a gut-wrenching guitar driven reminiscence is now a bit of a garbled quasi-epic

6/10

Catcher- Never should've dumped the May solo, also Axl's vocals seem buried by the guitar at points. That said it's Beatle-esque trippiness is growing on me more and more.

8/10

Scraped- Love the intro and the lyrics. One of the best 'Fuck You' songs Axl has written.

9/10

Riad- Never liked the live version, but love the studio--the psycho-tronic intro makes the difference I think. Best Tommy moment of the album too--this song screams 'scorched earth'

9/10

Sorry- Another great Fuck You song and certainly a departure from the GnR norm.

10/10

IRS- Like TWAT, every subsequent addition made the song a little less fun. This arrangement works well live, not so great in studio format.

6/10

Maddy- See review of TWAT and IRS

6/10

This I Love- Best song on the album and probably one of the best Axl ever wrote. The melody won't leave my head. The vocals scream the story of the heartrending lyrics. Haunting in all the right ways. Freddie Mercury's spirit was channeled here.

10/10

Prostitute- Right behind TIL. The orchestration works well here and the outro is awesome. The lyrics read and sound like a kiss off to this whole era. Now whether that is true or not remains to be seen, but the point is pretty damn clear.

10/10

OVERALL:

Looking at the thing as a collective work (which is really what I want to do) I would say this album is self-indulgent, overly theatrical and scatter-brained. And that's why i FUCKING LOVE IT. A lot of people get turned off by theatricality and indulgence in their rock-n-roll, to me it's the very essence of it. I've heard people bitch it sounds like Queen or Meat Loaf at points (TIL), but as a fan of those artists and that type of listening experience, CD lives up to what I wanted it to be. Whatever some of the tracks' individual weaknesses, the product seems like the logical conclusion as to where Axl was headed on 'Estranged' so many years ago. I am glad he got there.

Bottom Line: 9/10.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Chinese Democracy: Great intro and build up on this song. The sound of wind picks up and Axl's scream blares through. I only wish the scream was longer but it does the job. The song itself is rather enjoyable. Bumblefoot really added a lot too it and made the song complete for me. I think it's one of the stronger songs on the album.

Shackler's Revenge: Love the beat. Almost something you can dance too. If I danced I might try it. Love the vocals on this one. Good song. I enjoy more than others seem too do. I do agree with it not fitting though.

Better: Love all the added parts. Even the guitar slide by Ron. Catchy song and love the breakdown part of it.

The Blues: Nothing beats the 2002 live version. But this song is awesome at times and as James likes to say pure cheese at other times. The solo is good and the singing from Axl is very strong. Emotional lyrics but just seems lack something.

If the Word: Took me by total surprise. Heard the leak once and didn't want anything to do with it. The final version has drawn me in. The stalled intro the vocals are all great. I "la la la" part is cool and the drums sound meaner than hell as they come in after it. Great guitar work all around. Very different sound but it works and one of the best tracks on the record.

There Was a Time: Minus the intro I really dig this song. Some great lyrics through out and it reeks of Bucket's greatness.

Catcher n' Rye: Wasn't a fan when it leaked and I am still not a fan. Didn't belong on the album

Scraped: Interesting intro and I do like it unlike most people I've talked too. Great lyrics and an all around up beat song. With a little "fuck you" ness too it. Good rocker. I think it is better than it actually is because of the lack of real rockers on the album.

Riad: Wasn't a fan of the live version. The demo made me a fan. The finished product makes me not a fan. I like a lot of Ron's guitar work on this album but replacing Buckethead's solo was maybe the worst idea on the record. There are production glitches and it's just a mess.

Sorry: This and If the World are the standout tracks. Best guitar solo on the album in my view. Too me this song is about Slash. Maybe Axl telling his side of the story through his lyrics which aren't that clear but leaves enough for that connection to Slash and his integrity. Very well done.

IRS: For those wanting the older sound of the band this is the closest we get. An attack of guitars and a hell of a scream towards the end of the song. I always loved this song and I still do. Ron again added some really good things to this song.

Madagascar: Still love the song. Hasn't changed much but it really didn't need too. The quotes are not needed but I think they say a lot about how Axl is feeling about certain things. Maybe a song of hope who wish the old band would get back together in some form or another. "That it's never too late"

This I Love: Really good vocals. You can really feel his pain or at least that's how I hear it. I want too like this song more than I do but the solo prevents me from doing so. This one also misses the x-factor. The right solo would have set this fucker off.

Prostitute: I really enjoy this song. I think the lyrics are some of the best on the album and although lacks a real guitar solo it works. One of the better works on this era and a good ending to the record.

Is better than AFD? No. Is it better than most of the UYI's? No. Does it have some songs that could be considered some of GNR's best? Yeah a few.

It's over produced and "big" with too much going on at times. Maybe too many ideas in one song but it seems to work at the end. But that's what I expected. Slash was not outdone and his absence is felt big time especially on songs like This I Love where a Slash solo could have set it off. I miss Izzy as well. But other than that it is a solid effort and a good record. The kind of rock record that isn't made anymore and was overdue. I disagree with having all the songs that leaked on the finished product. I guess we will find out if there are really 30 plus songs in time. Minus Catcher in the Rye I wouldn't say I hate any song.

7/10

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Hey Bono, dude I get you don't like some tracks as much as others, but on no planet in the universe is TWAT & Catcher 'fillers'.

They are epic tracks that were meant to be epic tracks. Now you might not think they are THAT epic, but still - filler - no.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Bono wrote:

I mean the only stuff I really consider filler on the Illusions are:

Dust N' Bones
Bad Obsession
Garden of Eden
Bad Apples
14 Years
Get in the Ring
Pretty Tied Up
So Fine
My World

so then you do not consider the following tracks filler

you aint the first
live and let die
back off bitch
the garden
dead horse
knockin on heavens door
shotgun blues

now disagree with some of these songs all that you want...but i dont give a fuck if the song is a cover its godamn filler.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Once again...

The Garden & KOHD were meant to be epics.

Live and Let Die & Dead Horse were meant to be straight, high-end rockers.

Fillers are not what you don't like, fillers are B-sides not as great as the other material, on an album.

You have to have a universal agreement of the weakness of a song, in order to classify it a filler. (Ex: Anything Goes, Back Off Bitch, Bad Apples, Shotgun Blues, My World, etc.)

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

ok sure then find me universal disagreement about some of the songs bono mentioned

Dust N Bones
Garden of Eden
14 Years
Pretty Tied Up
So Fine (Which has a cult-like following believe it or not)

all that i was saying with my post was that one mans filler is another mans classic.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The only song on Bono's list i've heard shit about on a pretty regular level, is Garden of Eden.

DN'B & 14 Years is revered, So Fine is liked (not loved) for it's punk-ness, and Pretty Tied Up is pretty-well liked and a pretty substantial track for UYI2.

People have a habit of confusing their feelings with 'filler'. Filler is an actual term. One of the great things about Chinese Democracy, is so many different people like a different combo of songs, that really the album will end up having NO filler. Which is pretty amazing.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

well i agree with you whole-heartedly. the fact that so many people think TWAT is a classic and so many people think it isn't disqualifies it as being filler.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Bono is just a crazy mother fucker on that account.

How anybody can put TWAT in a 'filler' category amazes me.

If that's the case, i'll put U2's "Desire" & "In The Name Of Love" as filler.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I actually thought Bono's review was positive (for him), but to claim CD has SIX tracks that are filler.  That's pushing it.  I'll accept that you don't like 6 songs, or hate 6 songs, but to say almost half the album is filler.  That's just insane!

This album exceeds all expectations for me.  I don't have a physical copy yet, but that will change tomorrow.  I seem to be in the minority, I'm digging "Scraped".  My favorite of the 3 previously unheard tracks.  The other 2 may take time to grow.

Board footer