You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: How many CD songs would these solos

Neemo wrote:

the songs would have been constructed differently cuz the band would have been totally different...i bet at most there are a couple songs soley credited to axl...i dunno i havent read the liner notes yet

Sky Dog wrote:

only one-TIL.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This is the lineup (minus Don Henly of course) that I want back.  Slash just fucking rips the whole fucking song.  That is some deeps shit he is playing there theory wise.  He is allll over the neck.  Look at that look Axl gives Slash at the very end.... Like "Stop fucking playing, I am the lead singer".... HAHAHAHA

Sky Dog wrote:

I'll take Don Henley on drums any fuckin time over those two idiots Adler and Sorum. See, Smoking, the difference between me and you is that I actually watched this live. I don't pine for the past because I was there. I went to 7 UYI shows. I watched all the MTV interviews and specials as they happened. I don't need to try to recreate that feeling with a cheap reunion from a bunch of semi washed up hard rockers. Move on....play with different people...let it go. (and that goes for Axl as well).

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I saw it live too....  That solo is priceless... 

Madagas, I agree, if we are talking about White Lion, or Faster Pussy Cat, but this is one of the greatest bands ever.  Look at the Eagles now...  Look at the Police, even Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin reunited for a show.  And then you have AC/DC and the Stones....  That should have been GNR.  GNR can still make more history together... Just like Aerosmith did in the late 80's early 90's.  Nobody remembers that Joe Perry and Brad Whitford weren't on an album..  The VR and new GNR product is so inferior to the old its not even funny.  If they are happy, great, but I just feel like they are all scorned lovers that need eachother because nobody else gets them.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yes...for fans of the old band it's interesting to listen to the "solo" works of others and think about what would have happened if they'd played on each other's later works.

I think all of "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" from Snakepit would have been amazing with Axl.

In terms of slash playing on CD, well it depends...if he would be back as the sole" lead guitarist then you'd have a very different style of record. And much as I love Slash...if feel that would loose a lot of the shred feel which is kinda cool on some of these songs.

If we pretend he was back while keeping Bucket and Bumble and replacing someone like Robin then it would be pretty interesting. Songs I think would have benifited especially from his touch are "Street of Dreams", "There was a Time", "Catcher in the Rye" "Madagascar" "This I Love" and "Prostitute"

However that's all in dream land. And the reality for me is that CD is a great album despite the absence of Slash. While people want to bag axl for the delay a lot...i think a lot of that was finding worldclass musicans with chemestry to make products comparable in quality to the old stuff.

As massive as fan as I am of the old line up...i feel that it's taken him 17 years...but he may have done it. The new album is "different" but it's very good.

So i feel like it's a mixed victory for Axl. He's done it. He did the impossible and re-created something amazing after it was totally gutted, but it's taken him a lifetime to do so.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Madagas, I agree, if we are talking about White Lion, or Faster Pussy Cat, but this is one of the greatest bands ever.  Look at the Eagles now...  Look at the Police, even Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin reunited for a show.  And then you have AC/DC and the Stones....  That should have been GNR.  GNR can still make more history together... Just like Aerosmith did in the late 80's early 90's.  Nobody remembers that Joe Perry and Brad Whitford weren't on an album..  The VR and new GNR product is so inferior to the old its not even funny.  If they are happy, great, but I just feel like they are all scorned lovers that need eachother because nobody else gets them.

I agree man. I'm getting kinda sick of hearing people saying stuff like had Slash been on CD the songs would be the same or worse. Stuff like there's nothing he could've added to make the songs better yet is there anything on CD that's better than his solos in Estranged, November Rain, Sweet Child?  Is there a better solo on CD than the One in a  Million solo?  I could go on and on. Where's the classic mindbending solos on CD? Slash took alot of Axl's songs and ran with them, bringing Axl's vision to fruition. Slash came up with the intro to SCOM(even though it was Axl who recognized it's greatness) and Jungle. two of the most classic and recognizable intros and songs of all time. There isn't anything on CD that can compete with that type of status. Not now, not over time.   The old band was and is better. They connected, they fed off each other, the complimented each other and their chemistry was through the roof and like Smoking Guns said they got each other even if at times they didn't. Time will prove this.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Man, I forgot about that Street Child solo, that is some of Slash's best playing since GN'R. I think the only other song he gets close to that kind of feel is the solo in VR's You Got No Right.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I love VR and I love New GNR but on both I feel like something is "missing"

For me, Prostitute is what Estranged would've been without Slash and it is nowhere as good as Estranged.

Same as This I Love"

That song could've been better than NR but it just lacks that epic element the old band brought to songs.

Slash needs someone to push him, but Axl also needs someone to filter all of his ballads into several great ones instead of 8 good ones.

CD is great for what it is, but like I said, it feels like something is missing for me as they guitar players just dont match Axl's intensity or emotion. It comes close in spots but not quite.

I havent listened to any CD song except for Scraped and Sorry for 2 days now.

Board footer