You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Axl PWNS DR. PEPPER

Will wrote:

Dr Pepper and Rocker in a War of Hype
By Ben Sisario, NY Times

It took Axl Rose 14 years to complete the latest Guns N’ Roses album. But it took his lawyers only two days to take Dr Pepper to task for not making good on a promise of free soda to “everyone in America” in celebration.

In March the manufacturer made headlines by saying it would give out cans of its 123-year-old soft drink if the album, “Chinese Democracy,” came out by the end of the year. That was by no means a sure proposition, since Mr. Rose had failed to meet so many deadlines over the years that the album had become the music industry’s most notorious (and expensive) shaggy-dog story.

On Sunday the album was finally released, and Dr Pepper gave fans 24 hours to go to its Web site for a coupon redeemable for a can of soda; so many did that the site crashed, and the deadline was extended to Monday.

“We never thought this day would come,” said Tony Jacobs, a Dr Pepper marketing executive, in a statement last week.

The arrangement irked fans, who took to the Internet with stories of being blocked for hours from the site and a related customer-service phone line. And that irked Mr. Rose.

On Tuesday his lawyers sent a harshly worded letter to the soft drink maker complaining of its “appalling failure to make good on a promise it made to the American public,” and demanding a public apology, more time for thirsty fans, and payment for piggybacking on the “Chinese Democracy” publicity.

When asked about the letter, Dr Pepper said in a statement that the company took “great steps” to accommodate the online requests from consumers.

“This was one of the largest responses we have ever received for a giveaway,” the statement said, “and we’re happy we were able to satisfy the thirst of so many Dr Pepper fans.”

A spokesman said it was not known how many free sodas were given away on Sunday and Monday.

Mr. Rose’s representatives said that they tried to collaborate with Dr Pepper on the best way to distribute the soda, but that negotiations broke down.

“We had made an effort to turn this into a win-win-win — for the American public, Dr Pepper and Axl,” said Laurie Soriano, one of Mr. Rose’s lawyers. “But Dr Pepper’s view was just that Dr Pepper would win.”

The music industry had largely given up hope that “Chinese Democracy” would ever come out. Still, many assumed that if it ever was released it would likely be a gigantic seller. Guns N’ Roses, one of the most popular American bands of the last 30 years, has sold more than 40 million albums in the United States alone, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

But anecdotal reports suggest that “Chinese Democracy,” which was released through an exclusive deal with the Best Buy chain, might not be the blockbuster the industry had hoped for. Sales figures will not be available until next week, but early estimates put the first-week total at 300,000 to 500,000 copies, a respectable but not extraordinary amount. Last week, for example, Beyoncé sold 482,000 copies of her latest record, “I Am ... Sasha Fierce.”

The letter from Mr. Rose’s lawyers asks that Dr Pepper run apologetic full-page ads in The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times and other papers, giving customers more time to receive their free soda.

Similar sentiments spread across Guns N’ Roses message boards on Sunday.

“If they said they’d give a free can to everyone in America,” one fan wrote, “can they really put a one-day time limit on it? Seems like it’s something that if someone took to court they’d win.”

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I suppose its fair that, if Dr Pepper did exploit GN'R then GN'R are entitled to exploit them back. But it just feels ugly, its an unpleasant turn of events. Some of the things GNR accuse Dr Pepper of, cynics might call hypocritical.

Dr Pepper were always likely to make it difficult for people, huge money making corporations never like to give the little folk anything for free.
I hope this is sorted out amicably, but the wording of that lawyers letter will definently ruffle a few feathers.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I suppose its fair that, if Dr Pepper did exploit GN'R then GN'R are entitled to exploit them back. But it just feels ugly, its an unpleasant turn of events. Some of the things GNR accuse Dr Pepper of, cynics might call hypocritical.

Dr Pepper were always likely to make it difficult for people, huge money making corporations never like to give the little folk anything for free.
I hope this is sorted out amicably, but that lawyers letter will definently ruffle a few feathers.

I don't get it.  This makes Axl Rose look good in my opinion.  He is sticking up to his fans.  I seriously fail to see how this can ruffle any feathers and make him look good.  And we all know I don't shy away of criticizing one Axl Rose.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

No no, ruffle a few feathers over at Dr Pepper.

Accusing them of "reckless indifference or complete stupidity", there will be people over there who will take umbridge at such remarks.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Olorin wrote:

No no, ruffle a few feathers over at Dr Pepper.

Accusing them of "reckless indifference or complete stupidity", there will be people over there who will take umbridge at such remarks.

Well maybe they were.  It's clear now that they wanted to make a joke at the expense of Axl.  And now Axl has the laust laugh and Dr.Pepper don't like it.  Don't promise something you have no intention on delivering.  Saying that the free sodas would only be available for 24 hours was a lack of judgement and respect from Dr.Pepper.  Just my opinion.  Plus it sucked we couldn't get that offer in Canada so screw Dr.Pepper.  tongue

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:

Also I don't think Axl has ever been afraid to ruffle anybody's feathers and you can respect that.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

No but I just think it could have been handled differently, especially at such an early stage. The chances of this ending amicably now, look like wishful thinking on my part.

I'm just completely sick of the BS surrounding this band, and this looks another chapter.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Olorin wrote:

No but I just think it could have been handled differently, especially at such an early stage. The chances of this ending amicably now, look like wishful thinking on my part.

I'm just completely sick of the BS surrounding this band, and this looks another chapter.

Oh I'm sick of the BS too, don't get me wrong.  But if Axl wins this it can give him a nice opportunity to redeem his image if handled well.  This will settle out of court.  I'd rather have an interview with Axl updating us on who is in the band and who's not but what can we do?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I hope this is sorted out amicably, but that lawyers letter will definently ruffle a few feathers.

I don't get it.  This makes Axl Rose look good in my opinion.  He is sticking up to his fans.  I seriously fail to see how this can ruffle any feathers and make him look good.  And we all know I don't shy away of criticizing one Axl Rose.

Axl will give away the money, won't he? This case is motivated by attention seeking and anger. Nothing more, nothing less. BTW if Axl had time to battle with Dr. Pepper, he could have released a press release about his album. Instead.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Axl will give away the money, won't he? This case is motivated by attention seeking and anger. Nothing more, nothing less. BTW if Axl had time to battle with Dr. Pepper, he could have released a press release about his album. Instead.

I agree that he should've made a press release about his album.  But that's not the point.  The point here is that this can make him look good in the eyes of the general public.

Board footer