You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Gene Simmons lashes out at Axl Rose

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

very true but there is a difference

people are willing to put up with his shit and they still get what they paid for. axl shows up 2 hours late we still get a full set list. you show up late and things have probably carried on but not with the axlin touch and contribution. if significant amounts of people left the gnr shows due to the lateness and got refunds he would have to stop pulling that shit or either lose money from less tickets sold or not have tours made available to him by the promoters/venues..

the show in Calgary (December 2006) looked almost full when the show started. I'll guarantee it was almost half empty before the encore. All those people left cause it was too damn late. None of those people would be allowed refunds cause the show went on as planned but at an ungodly hour for a weeknight concert.   Axl didn't take the stage untill 11:45 in Calgary that night and roughly 11:30 in Edmonton. I mean seriously. Bands who play in bars on a  Friday or Saturday go on before that time. When city transit is shut down before the show ends that's a problem.   It boils down to respect. Who else does their fans like that?  Honest question.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

ok and i agree with all of that

i just think that comment was a low blow and he showed no class making it because axl was not there to defend himself and it had no relevance to kiss.

i am not saying that to protect axl but becasue i would never do it myself and would be turned off if axl did it as well.

Bono

Bono wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I saw GNR as MSG and they played pretty much on time.   I don't recall waiting long at all for them after Papa Roach.

Now Hammerstein we waited awhile.

I do think that it comes with the GNR territory.   I know I am going to wait awhile and most if not all GNR fans know this so I am already prepared and not shocked when it happens.   I do feel for any new fans that don't expect this to happen. But  ya know it's part of what makes Axl...well Axl.   Like his song says, he isn't gonna change for anyone.   He has his reasons and I do believed if he was forced the show wouldn't be as good if he's not mentally prepared.

What sucks DTJ is I know he'll come on late and I end up skipping the opening bands which I fucking hate doing. But I'm not sowing up at 7:30 to wait untill Midnight. It's a rip off to the fans cause you either sit in your seat for 8 hours or you miss part of the bill. It's a bullshit move to pull on the fans regardless of who you are. If Bono did this shit I'd rip the guy to pieces.  I mean let's put it into persepctive. From the time the doors open at a Gn'R show till the final notes of PC you could watch an entire NFL game and follow it up with an NHL game. Thats' fucked.

Bono

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

ok and i agree with all of that

i just think that comment was a low blow and he showed no class making it because axl was not there to defend himself and it had no relevance to kiss.

i am not saying that to protect axl but becasue i would never do it myself and would be turned off if axl did it as well.

I have no problem with Gene making the coment about takingt eh stage on time  but I definately think he was WAY outta line bringing up the childhood of Axl. For sure that was classless.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

gnr has opening bands?

Bono

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

gnr has opening bands?

16 Karma

Bono wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I saw GNR as MSG and they played pretty much on time.   I don't recall waiting long at all for them after Papa Roach.

Now Hammerstein we waited awhile.

I do think that it comes with the GNR territory.   I know I am going to wait awhile and most if not all GNR fans know this so I am already prepared and not shocked when it happens.   I do feel for any new fans that don't expect this to happen. But  ya know it's part of what makes Axl...well Axl.   Like his song says, he isn't gonna change for anyone.   He has his reasons and I do believed if he was forced the show wouldn't be as good if he's not mentally prepared.

What sucks DTJ is I know he'll come on late and I end up skipping the opening bands which I fucking hate doing. But I'm not sowing up at 7:30 to wait untill Midnight. It's a rip off to the fans cause you either sit in your seat for 8 hours or you miss part of the bill. It's a bullshit move to pull on the fans regardless of who you are. If Bono did this shit I'd rip the guy to pieces.  I mean let's put it into persepctive. From the time the doors open at a Gn'R show till the final notes of PC you could watch an entire NFL game and follow it up with an NHL game. Thats' fucked.

Understandable but this is something that has always gone on, this isn't just an Axl thing.   GNR of old went on late too.   It's part of Axl madness, you take away some of that madness you don't have the magic that makes Axl Rose on stage.   It's part of what GNR has always been.

At MSG, Baz went on I believe it was 8pm, then Papa Roach when on about 9:30 or 10pm, then GNR went on at 11:30 cuz I made sure to look at the time.   I don't think that's bad at all.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

what time did gnr go on in toronto DTJ? do you remember? that was nuts its was a monday too....1:00 am or some shit...not everyone can sleep away a weekday

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Understandable but this is something that has always gone on, this isn't just an Axl thing.   GNR of old went on late too.   It's part of Axl madness, you take away some of that madness you don't have the magic that makes Axl Rose on stage.   It's part of what GNR has always been.

At MSG, Baz went on I believe it was 8pm, then Papa Roach when on about 9:30 or 10pm, then GNR went on at 11:30 cuz I made sure to look at the time.   I don't think that's bad at all.

It's not a new thing, but it is an Axl thing.  A number of old band members have made comments over the years about how they were ready to go at showtime but had to sit around waiting for Axl.

So in that respect, it's not only disrespectful to the fans out there waiting, it's disrespectful for the band members sitting waiting for you too.

Neemo wrote:

what time did gnr go on in toronto DTJ? do you remember? that was nuts its was a monday too....1:00 am or some shit...not everyone can sleep away a weekday

True.  I am not really not saying it's the right thing to do but it's what he does.  I really think it's part of what makes him have a good show.  He's not a person that is going to go on if he's not ready.

You are right Jorge, it's definitely an Axl thing but as I said above, doesn't make it right but I believe it's what contributes to him having a good show.

Board footer