You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

sandman wrote:

we have no idea what Axl's, GnR's, Best Buy's, or the label's expectations are. so instead, people are choosing to use a bunch of Axl die-hards' expectations. does this really make any sense???

the public doesn't know who is in this band. but that doesn't matter...what matters is that they know who ISN"T in this band. and axl is kind of an unpopular figure. many people are root against him.

gnr is still a huge band. Axl is a mega-star. but of course this "band" is not on top of the world. and first week sales of this album, no matter what they are, doesn't change any of this.   

now if there was a reunion, that would be a different story.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I was watching football today as I always do on Sunday and I heard WTTJ probably 15 times.

Listening to Jungle, I realized everything CD isn't and why it isn't going to be hugely successful

CD would be great for a Queen/Meat Loaf  Elton John album but for GNR it just isn't a GNR album

That doesnt take away the quality of the CD. I love it and think it is phenomenal but next to Jungle, you can tell how different it is and can guess why a lot of people aren't into it.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Where is this 300K # confirmed?  I don't believe it's sold much more than 150,000 units.  That is my own guess, but that 300K number seems high.  Sales were dismal after last Sunday for this set.  The music is good, real good, but the whole roll out was horrendous; with that said, the album is very unique and was obviously the culmination of much hard work.  I hope people don't forget that great sales do not equate to great art, or that lackluster sales equate to bad art.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

brighteyes the preliminary estimates are usually pretty close from what i've seen recently

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

This album has to sell extremely well to be considerd a success

I agree which is why I plan to wait at least a month before I claim success or failure.

Oh and by the way did you buy or eat that real apple? You did? Why's that? Because you wanted it? I see.

I bought the apple but I plan to go back tomorrow and get the Apple Jacks because they are so darn delicious.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Ok, I'll take your word.  Seems to be on the high side to me.  Fuck sales #'s, at least they released it!

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

That doesnt take away the quality of the CD. I love it and think it is phenomenal but next to Jungle, you can tell how different it is and can guess why a lot of people aren't into it.

Next to Jungle, yeah. But you are missing a step. Next to Don't Cry or November Rain, it's not that different than what you should expect. It's the natural evolution--for better or worse.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

also a tour will help boost sales too...i'm not sure of this but werent metallica and AC/DC both beginning a support tour as their respective albums were released? it does help bigtime....we just dunno if the jan 09 tour rumors have any reality to them

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
Neemo wrote:

people usually arent gonna go into a store and pick up a kayne cd and a GnR cd and go...gee which one do i want? they are light years apart in terms of audience and genre's....its not like there is a competition here between gnr fans and kayne fans...even though we'd like to think there is

Ah, but that is part of the problem. Maybe not for the first week when it's the hardcores like us buying the album, but what keeps it in the top ten are the whims of the casual listener, who hear that catchy song on the radio and then pick up the disc when they see it on an endcap at Best Buy.  The fairweather fans account for a much bigger portion of the sales than the hardcore fan base.

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

Exactly-this first week was a built-in, guaranteed chunk of sales-and if its 300k copies that in and of itself is certainly is not a flop. My point is that after this initial burst of sales from the diehards its sink or swim based upon the material which at this point all we have to go on is our subjective judgements and the judgements of those who have heard it. From what im gathering thus far (and no its not a random scientific sample, but its all we have and i think it has some merit) From bars-where it has been talked about, so people are aware of it-and on the radio which i usually dont listen to, but ive been glued to it to catch the mood about this thing, reactions arent positive. But people are talking about it, they just dont like it. Its not scientific but i have a feeling its worth something.

Ive heard a lot of people talking about it-so its not lack of promotion, its just that what they are talking about isnt good. Houstonnd is a damn big city and they played better and Shiny Toy Guns took Better's nuts. People said it was wierd and "horrible." Thats not good.

Board footer