You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

war wrote:

it's worth something but so is the person's that says the opposite and there are tons of those as well, including myself.

the only negative i have heard is here.

probably the most accurate statement is that not enough people have truly heard it. outside of the myspace option, one official single released and a mediocre one at that.

science isn't necessary here, the album hasn't spoken for itself yet.

i hope it does cause i think it is pretty awesome.

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

I agree, i dont think its a bad album, thats not what im saying. I think its brilliant in its own right. I enjoy listening to it and as a musician i appreciate the complexity of it. BUT-using the GNR name has implications and expectations, i just dont think the public will accept it, especially as GNR. Chi-dem and Better have been getting radio play but i would say as many pesople have heard it as could be expected to hear new singles. From my meager observations, and i admit just that, those who arent hard-cores and dont visit GNR boards arent accepting this. I listened to the radio for 5 hours today while working, i heard several songs (offspiring, nikelback, etc) more than once in that 5 hours- i heard chi-dem once. there just doesnt seem to be a big demand by the general public to hear it on the radio. The other day when better was played it was shot down by the callers. The DJ said..."BUT..its the New GNR...as if people should have liked it based upon name recognition-but much to his surprise they didnt.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

well, the people that are possibly not gonna accept it as gnr are the people that were already fans, right?

as previously mentioned, pre existing fans are the majority of persons that will buy the album in it's first couple weeks due to the lack of promo and a mediocre first single choice.

week 1 is gone. it didn't break any records but it did well.

so based on that, a good amount of people that know it's "new gnr" went out to best buy and purchased the album

it is time to attempt to introduce this music to the mainstream music listeners and let the music do the talking

i wonder if axl may have waited this long to release it for the sake of letting people get over the fact that old gnr is broken up and saved the promo for after the initial "this isn't gnr" backlash from cd release.

wishful thinking, too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Buckethead coming back is the ony thing that can save Axl's vision of GNR....

But anyway you look at it, even if CD is disappointing sells wise, its still going to sell a lot. That means there will be other releases, they will make money, but they will steadily decline in interest and in sells. As i said, only Buckethead can save this sinking ship.

BH coming back isn't going to save it.  He's on the album and it isn't helping.  I get that some people love him, but the truth is Axl + Slash = GnR to the general public and no other guitar player is going to be able to fill that role.  It may not be fair, but it is what it is.

The kids today really don't share your guys hard on for Slash and Axl re-teaming. And the world really isn't holding its breath for a reunion the way you guys might think. Bucket was growing a GNR fanbase of his own. Axl only needs Slash for a nostalgia trip. Not to be successful. The truth is Axl found lightning in a bottle twice and he blew it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Buckethead coming back is the ony thing that can save Axl's vision of GNR....

But anyway you look at it, even if CD is disappointing sells wise, its still going to sell a lot. That means there will be other releases, they will make money, but they will steadily decline in interest and in sells. As i said, only Buckethead can save this sinking ship.

BH coming back isn't going to save it.  He's on the album and it isn't helping.  I get that some people love him, but the truth is Axl + Slash = GnR to the general public and no other guitar player is going to be able to fill that role.  It may not be fair, but it is what it is.

The kids today really don't share your guys hard on for Slash and Axl re-teaming. And the world really isn't holding its breath for a reunion the way you guys might think. Bucket was growing a GNR fanbase of his own. Axl only needs Slash for a nostalgia trip. Not to be successful. The truth is Axl found lightning in a bottle twice and he blew it.

That must be why 16 year old kids run around in their Guns N' Roses t-shirts, their Axl shirts, their Slash shirts, blasting AFD, and putting GN'R in the same beloved category as the 'throwback 90s rock' fav's with Nirvana & Metallica.

Even when the 2002 VMA performance happened, the kids were like - "who the fuck is that?" - and you couldn't say Guns N' Roses, because well, that's not really true.

A reunion would be MASSIVE. Stadiums would be sold out, GN'R would probably get hundreds of millions, yep that's right, HUNDREDS of millions thrown at them, through various sources pooling together, and the crowds would be massive, ready, and varied in ages from probably 10-80.

Granted that buzz wouldn't last past the first couple of legs, but the anticipation of it's arrangment and launch would make the wait for CD, seem like setting the microwave for 3 minutes.

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

Axl needing slash has nothing to do with a nastalgia trip. It has to with the fact that when Axl, Slash, Izzy, and Duff write together, its a proven formulas for rock n roll greatness that can stand with any of the great bands in the history of rock and roll. People conceptualize GNR as a certain energy and sound-these other  guys were integral to that. Thats why truly great bands can probably be counted on scarcely more that one hand-its a collective effort at a comprehensive sound, an amalgamation of visions and influences that feed off of each other. Thats why this record seems to be lacking something, because implicitly we "hear" the input of the other original members that contributed to Axl's individual talent-it was the accidental, spontaneous train wreck that was GNR.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, well with all that, it would still just be a nostalgia trip. A reunion would be a big deal for a certain amount of people, not everyone feels the way you do.

And for what its worth, who they were when they made AFD is long gone. Even if they got back together you wouldn't get that same "formula" that fans are drooling for them to replicate. The UYI albums showed that. CD shows that. A reunion would give you the same thing every other big band "reunion" (insert band name here) who get back together in middleage give -- the same thing that we've seen with every reunion in the last 15 years: its not the same, its usually a disappointment album wise and creatively, but damn its good to see them on stage again... Because of nostalgia.

Axl can still be successful in GNR without Slash.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Bono wrote:

Did it ever occur to anyone that the album didn't reach #1 because the material wasnt' strong enough? I mean sometimes the simplest explanation is the most accurate. How many people listend to it on their myspace page? Ummm yeah so maybe the majority of  people listend and sad "meh I'm not buying that" There's gonna come a time when alot of you are gonna have to at least accept this as a possibility.

did it ever occur to anyone that kanye west is huge right now?
kanye= Guns n' Roses in 1991
GNR(axl)= Don Henley in 1991

say what you will about the quality of the music on the record...
rock radio has been pushing the living shit outta ac/dc and 'tallica....
ac/dc is a given... they are the same as they've always been. simple rock and roll.. no reinventing the wheel there... catchy and fun...
whatever can be said about the quality of metallica albums since 1991 noone can deny they've had success... because they've had made for radio tunes since. easily digestible to the general public...
axl's been out of the spotlight for so long that people have moved on.. the reason that the bands i mentioned keep selling and staying on the radio is because they are consistent....and generally predictable
axl's neither.. and the new material is not immediately digestible.

after 15 years of nothing... he probably couldn't release something as ambitious as use your illusion at this point without people saying "what the fuck?".. it's as if he's in a time warp. would this record have been more successful if it was released as "Axl Rose: Chinese Democracy" in 1994? absofuckinglutely.... it would already have sold 3 million... because they ruled the world then.... now... not so much

...wait.. am i the only one who understands what i just typed?
i just worked 15 hours and it's 2 am.. so i'm a lil fuzzy

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The other day I watched the July 17th, 1993 Buenos Aires show from beginning to end (the full show, not that hack job out there)... and I started to tear up at the end.

There's not a damn thing we can do to get that band back, reunion or no reunion.

Watching that show is like watching the final episode to your favorite TV show.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

this 300.000 units sold number is US only though isn't it...?

it has also done 150.000 in the UK, about 50.000 in Brazil, and 30.000 in Finland, and the other European countries are still totaling their numbers...

so that's not bad at all in this day and age...not bad whatsoever...

Board footer