You are not logged in. Please register or login.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

GNRBABY wrote:
Fat-Drunk wrote:

Don't forget to adjust that number down considering all the fans who bought multiple copies of the CD.

No, money spent is money earned we don't discount that! There is nothing wrong with that. This isn't the 1st record where people will buy it as a gift. Also, it's the holidays

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

That is true. I like the album but people who think Axl can get it done without the right pieces need to look into this. Maybe a better album is lying in waiting but as of right now things aren't looking good. Hopefully Axl has something up his sleeve. K-Rock was already asking listeners for ways Axl could make his money back. Not good news.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Fat-Drunk, I don't believe many, if any, of the swingers actually bought the album multiple times. They've always been wrong or lying about CD's release, and inf act, many of them probably didn't even buy it once. Downloading mothafuckas.

The album is going to be a flop I guess. That's ok. At least it's out there, and at least it's good music to my ears.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

something definitely off here

so much money paid up front by best buy
so much money put into to axl's studio costs by label
so much work and additional money put into music by axl

and no promo from any of them

free streams of the album while it's for sale

something fishy

i still maintain my theory that they are gonna take the initial sales from the curious and the diehards and then hit the mainstream hard with promo.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

maybe they are just clueless as to what to do..If axl has any say on matters,  he shouldnt have any say on promo, as he`s been dead for 15 years..he knows nothing

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

something definitely off here

so much money paid up front by best buy
so much money put into to axl's studio costs by label
so much work and additional money put into music by axl

and no promo from any of them

free streams of the album while it's for sale

something fishy

i still maintain my theory that they are gonna take the initial sales from the curious and the diehards and then hit the mainstream hard with promo.

That could be but it seems like  a real moronic way to go about things in thsi day and age when it's all about hitting hard and hitting fast. People will lose interst in this thing before they even promo it?  Not smart in my opinion. We'll see I guess.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

better get your video camera ready BLS tongue 16

no biggie, its still good sales in my books

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Fat-Drunk, I don't believe many, if any, of the swingers actually bought the album multiple times. They've always been wrong or lying about CD's release, and inf act, many of them probably didn't even buy it once. Downloading mothafuckas.

The album is going to be a flop I guess. That's ok. At least it's out there, and at least it's good music to my ears.

I bought 2 copies.  Many bought the Vinyl and the cd's.....  I would say there are only 150,000 actual purchasers.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Just saw this at Billboard:

Kanye, Guns N' Roses Post Slow Debut-Week Sales
December 01, 2008 04:46 PM ET
Ed Christman, N.Y.

While mainstream media is touting that the Black Friday weekend started the holiday selling season with a bang, music merchandisers certainly didn't have that experience.

Music sales were down anywhere from 10% to 30% and hit albums released for Black Friday didn't perform up to expectations, according to merchants contacted by Billboard. Sources say Kanye West's "808s & Heartbreak" will sell in the range of 425,000-450,000 units, significantly down from 700,000-975,000 units previously projected.

Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" is expected to clock in at 250,000-260,000, which is also down from expectations that it would sell anywhere from 300,000-784,000 units.

While some press reports show across-the-board retail weekend sales up 7%, music merchandisers point out that in order to accurately measure the holiday, it should be measured the week containing Black Friday this year, which was the last week in November, versus last year when the day fell in the third week of the month.

At music specialty stores Newbury Comics, sales were down 21% on a comparable store basis for the last two weeks of November, while music sales were down 28%, reports the Brighton, Mass.-based chain's CEO, Mike Dreese.

At big boxes like Wal-Mart and Barnes & Noble, label executives report that hit sales were off significantly for the Black Friday weekend, anywhere from 30% to 40%.

On the other hand, as expected, online shopping was stronger than last year, says an executive with a wholesaler that does CD and DVD fulfillment for online stores. But he declined to provide details, other than to say that Friday was better than Thursday, for the first time.

"I hear traffic was high, but overall purchasing wasn't because shoppers were cherry-picking the deals," says one senior distribution executive.

Pretty much same thing; we may see the first week end up at UNDER 300k.

To be fair then, wouldn't we have to consider Kanye West's new album a flop?  I mean his sales apparently are gonna fall far below what was previously predicted.  After all his last album sold 957,000 units its opening week.  Now he's not even gonna sell half that amount. 

I know we were all hoping/expecting huge sales.  But the economy is about as bad as it can get right now.  So if you want to consider the album a flop because it's only gonna sell 260k first week, you have to look at the overall numbers.  It's not like Kanye sold a million records, granted it looks like he's gonna double CD's numbers but I don't think the numbers are as bad as they look considering the times.  I know I'll probably get flamed for being an Axl nutswinger, or for making excuses, or more.  That's alright though, I can take it.  Let's be fair though, if CD is a flop, 808's and Heartbreak is too.

Board footer