You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Hidden Text:

I'm surprised all the 'Luke Died' talk??  When did he die? I'm not the best at watching movies & attention span, but I recall he was facing the At Ats, then Darth Emo faced him and fought him. He killed him off but it all seemed to be a mirage, as the very next scene they show Luke meditating it all thru. He was projecting himself there, into that battle, but he wasn't actually there. That's what The Force was. imho at least.

Hidden Text:

After you find out he was projecting himself from Ahch-to onto Crait, he fades away and joins the force, just like Obi-Wan and Yoda did.  Both Rey and Leia said they felt him go and join the force at peace.

Gotcha, damn I tune in & out with movies man. Now that you mention it I do recall that & esp Leia saying that. I do wanna rewatch it again anyway. How was Imax, did you see it on that?  3d was good, worth it imho. Nothing major stood out, just enhanced the overall experience.

Theater was awfully loud tho.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Hidden Text:

I'm surprised all the 'Luke Died' talk??  When did he die? I'm not the best at watching movies & attention span, but I recall he was facing the At Ats, then Darth Emo faced him and fought him. He killed him off but it all seemed to be a mirage, as the very next scene they show Luke meditating it all thru. He was projecting himself there, into that battle, but he wasn't actually there. That's what The Force was. imho at least.

Yes but then...

Hidden Text:

After the battle we see you're right about the projction - he's still on the island meditating on the rock where he was training rey. After he projected him self he collapses gasping from the effort. We see him sit up. He then gets a tranquil peaceful look as he watches the twin sunset (a nice callback to the early look shots of boy-luke looking at the setting suns in A New Hope. We then see him disappear. Similar to the way obiwan does when struck down, and basically the same as the way yoda did. Like just kinda fade and not be sitting there anymore. We also see his robe blow away into the air.

It then cuts to leia doing one of her "I'm feeling something in the force" faces, and rey kinda pauses for a moment. Later right near the very end they say something about how they felt him pass (forget the exact phrase she used) and they were like "it wasn't upset or painful, more like he found purpose and fullfillment" or some line to that effect. So yeah you could look at it like he worked himself to death with the force, but I think it's kinda that he became one with the force as it was his time having saved ray from Kylo.

Torn on it. I guess this trillogy has to be about the new characters. And I don't mind them writing him out generally. But it was sort of a bit antilclimatic after his big trick on Kylo that he ended up dying anyway.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Oh sorry just saw my post was redundant!

I saw it for the 3rd time today.

Really enjoyed it I must say. I understand people's issues with the plot but I kinda love it anyway.

I do hope they

Hidden Text:

explain why she's so powerful in the next one though. Although everyone being related to everyone is kinda lame when its over 3 generations - it's better than a girl being superpowered just cos she's a girl

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I'll agree. Flaggs been beating the drum pretty hard on it skipping alot of the storyline, and leaving it to #3. At first I didn't mind but I see what you're all saying about it now.

Hidden Text:

Killing Luke off was too soon. If nothing else because of Carrie Fishers death. Should've just had Leia die, let Laura Dern take over her role, and leave Luke in #3 in bits, a guru/master like Obi Wan.

Agree about it being lame if they're all interrelated I guess.

I can forsee the best quote from 3rd installment:  "Luuuuuuuke, you're my father!!!" lol 

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

monkeychow wrote:

Oh sorry just saw my post was redundant!

I saw it for the 3rd time today.

Really enjoyed it I must say. I understand people's issues with the plot but I kinda love it anyway.

I do hope they

Hidden Text:

explain why she's so powerful in the next one though. Although everyone being related to everyone is kinda lame when its over 3 generations - it's better than a girl being superpowered just cos she's a girl

Hidden Text:

I thought they did explain why she was so powerful.  She's the light side of the force's balance to Kylo as his grew in strength.  Snoke says as much when she confronts him saying "The darkness rises and the light to meet it".  Snoke assumed that the light would empower Luke, but it chose Rey instead. 

I don't think Snoke is dead though.  Not only because I believe Snoke is the first Jedi (look at the symbol that's on the floor on Ahch-to - it looks like Snoke's face with a lightsaber/sword in the middle), but because I think Snoke wanted Kylo to strike him down to fully embrace and turn to the darkside.  Snoke was talking about how conflicted Kylo was after killing Han and he can't kill Leia when presented the chance.  After killing Snoke, Kylo completely turns to the darkside, just like the Emperor told Luke that would happen in ROTJ.

I see this being accomplished in two way - either Snoke used the same projection power Luke did to make Kylo think he killed him, or (my bet) Snoke is going to join the force just as Luke did.  This movie was all about balance, so it makes sense if Rey and Kylo are supposed to represent balance through the light and dark, that Snoke would match Luke in joining with the force.  We saw how powerful Yoda was as a force ghost.  Now imagine how much powerful Luke is going to be now that he's one with the force.  Same for Snoke.

Randall Flagg

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I'll agree. Flaggs been beating the drum pretty hard on it skipping alot of the storyline, and leaving it to #3. At first I didn't mind but I see what you're all saying about it now.

Hidden Text:

Killing Luke off was too soon. If nothing else because of Carrie Fishers death. Should've just had Leia die, let Laura Dern take over her role, and leave Luke in #3 in bits, a guru/master like Obi Wan.

I can forsee the best quote from 3rd installment:  "Luuuuuuuke, you're my father!!!" lol 

Hidden Text:

Since Disney said that Carrie Fisher won't be in 9 at all, no CGI, no nothing, my assumption is that her character will be on a ship early into episode 9 and be blown up during a battle sequence.  It will provide closure while providing a catalyst to get the resistance going.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Hidden Text:

Hidden Text:

Since Disney said that Carrie Fisher won't be in 9 at all, no CGI, no nothing, my assumption is that her character will be on a ship early into episode 9 and be blown up during a battle sequence.  It will provide closure while providing a catalyst to get the resistance going.

Oh, ok.

Hidden Text:

TBH tho should've just done it in 8. End it. Why bother with 9.

As to your other point, I think Monkeys point was "Why Rey?"  You mention Kylo's force is the darkside, yet Reys is used for good. So, this begs the question: Who is she? (ie. Lukes daughter, Leia & Hans daughter, or just a girl from another galaxy.

Personally, I'm seeing his point, the whole we're all related is becoming cliche.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm going to hopefully go see this again this weekend.  My thoughts haven't really changed since seeing it the first time.  I get why they did what they did (even the things I didn't like), but there was one thing they shouldn't have done that not only ruins this movie for me, but it ruins episode 9 for me before it begins. 

Hidden Text:

Star Wars to me is about the Skywalkers.  Once it isn't, it's over for me.  No force ghosting is going to make it okay for me.  I think their only chance of getting back the people they lost with this movie is having Rey be a Skywalker.  I know some people are fed up by the inbreeding, but I think people will forgive the loss of Luke if it's still about the Skywalkers.  Yes, you have to move on from the past, but that doesn't mean you have to extinguish the past.  Once Carrie died, they should have rethought the ending.  I always figured Luke would die in 9 so they could move on.  That's how it should have happened.

On another note, I don't have an issue with Luke's demeanor in the movie.  It makes sense given what he's been through.  It would have been good to see him overcome those vibes and turn back into the positive Luke he used to be or at least show glimpses of that, but I get being that down given how things played out.

Randall Flagg

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm going to hopefully go see this again this weekend.  My thoughts haven't really changed since seeing it the first time.  I get why they did what they did (even the things I didn't like), but there was one thing they shouldn't have done that not only ruins this movie for me, but it ruins episode 9 for me before it begins. 

Hidden Text:

Star Wars to me is about the Skywalkers.  Once it isn't, it's over for me.  No force ghosting is going to make it okay for me.  I think their only chance of getting back the people they lost with this movie is having Rey be a Skywalker.  I know some people are fed up by the inbreeding, but I think people will forgive the loss of Luke if it's still about the Skywalkers.  Yes, you have to move on from the past, but that doesn't mean you have to extinguish the past.  Once Carrie died, they should have rethought the ending.  I always figured Luke would die in 9 so they could move on.  That's how it should have happened.

On another note, I don't have an issue with Luke's demeanor in the movie.  It makes sense given what he's been through.  It would have been good to see him overcome those vibes and turn back into the positive Luke he used to be or at least show glimpses of that, but I get being that down given how things played out.

But the skywalker line is living on, through Kylo.  He's made the same decision as his grandfather, but where Vader failed completely abandoning the light and becoming the most powerful being in the galaxy, he's trying to fulfill that end.  We'll see if Kylo can be seduced back to the light, but he's very much a Skywalker.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Hidden Text:

I thought they did explain why she was so powerful.  She's the light side of the force's balance to Kylo as his grew in strength.  Snoke says as much when she confronts him saying "The darkness rises and the light to meet it".  Snoke assumed that the light would empower Luke, but it chose Rey instead.

Hidden Text:

You're right. I'm just not sure I buy it.

My issue is her relative strength compared to previous Jedi.

Look at what Rey does untrained. In Force Awakens - she uses the jedi mind trick successfully on a guard. She successfully resists kylos mind probe and indeed reads his fears. She defeats Kylo in a duel.

I'd let the defeat go cos he was probably concentrating using the force to keep himself alive after Chewie's crossbow hit - but no one has done stuff like the Jedi Mind Tick and resisting a mind read untrained before. It's basically almost the level of strength luke has in Jedi after completing his training. She's doing it untrained.

If it's because Kylo is so strong, does this mean he's stronger than Vader seeing as she appears to be proportionally stronger than luke?

Basically I was going to let it go if it turns out she's a skywalker or a kynobi or someting. But if she's a junk trader from nowhere its odd that she's the most powerful jedi ever, even than the 'chosen one' anakin and even than his blood relatives.

Board footer