You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The Hobbit Movie

Neemo wrote:

part one has been pushed back to (unofficially 2012) ... and DelToro has stepped down as director

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien'™s 'The Hobbit' , but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.

'In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming 'The Hobbit,'  I am faced with the hardest decision of my life' , says Guillermo. 'After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien'™s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I'™ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director' .

also some insight to plot lines (from another board)

Rumor is that the movies will incorporate events that did not occur in The Hobbit, such as the White Council (which will allow them to bring in Cate Blanchett as Galadriel) and their attack on Sauron the Necromancer --- alluded to in the book, expanded in the LOTR appendices.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Fuck I had high hopes for the GDT version, now it will be another Peter Jackson "cinematic licence" polluted cheesefest.

It doesnt look like its going to happen for ages away, I'd be happy if the postponed it until GDT can take the helm again.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

How does he have a conflicting schedule. Did anyone think directing 2 movies on the scale of the hobbit was going to be fast? Why would you schedule anything in that could potentially clash with it. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

It was originally a 3 year project, he's already been working on it for 2 years and looks likely it will drag on for another 6 at least. I wouldnt be suprised if he had threatened to walk in an attempt to try put an end to the stalling tactics of the movie companies, and now feels he has to fall on his sword.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Breaking: 'The Hobbit' Gets Its Greenlight!
Sharon Waxman · October 15, 2010
"The Hobbit" has been greenlit and will start production in February, an individual close to the production has told TheWrap.

As TheWrap reported previously, Peter Jackson has agreed to direct the film in addition to producing and writing the two-part project.

In the agreement completed this week, Jackson's deal was finalized and MGM and Warner Brothers agreed to give the project its long-awaited greenlight.

The greenlight means that millions of global fans for the revered J.R.R. Tolkien property can look forward to a prequel to "The Lord of the Rings," which was one of the most successful movie franchises in movie history.

Photo Slideshow: Faces of 'The Hobbit' Movie - From Bilbo to Gandalf >>

Jackson was already on board to write and produce "The Hobbit." But because of financial turmoil at MGM, which owns half of the franchise together with Warners' New Line Cinema, the project became one of the most torturous in Hollywood history.

Sets have already been built in New Zealand, and actors - including Sir Ian McKellan - have been on hold for months.

Martin Freeman has been rumored to play Bilbo Baggins.

With the logjam finally broken, production will begin in February.

However, the individual said that labor issues related to the production have still not been resolved, and negotiations will continue with the Screen Actors Guild. The union flap involves whether the production would use Screen Actors Guild members or not.

About $30 million has already been spent on the project, the first part of which is scheduled to hit theaters Dec. 19, 2012.

But Warner Brothers was wary about moving ahead at the risk that an agreement with MGM may not hold up over time.

At MGM, the decision about greenlighting "The Hobbit," a $400 million, back-to-back production of two films, has been hanging between CEO Stephen Cooper, owners-in-waiting Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum of Spyglass Productions and the creditors committee at MGM.

Read More: Why Martin Freeman Would Be a Poor Bilbo in 'The Hobbit' >>

Spyglass has signed a letter of intent to give the production company 4-5 percent ownership of MGM in exchange for taking over the company's management. That deal would entail a prepackaged bankruptcy, under the supervision of the judge and with the accord of the studio's debtors and investors.

But just this week, takeover king Carl Icahn threw his weight behind an alternate plan, to have Lionsgate merge with MGM instead. Icahn owns 30% of Lionsgate, and about 10% of MGM's debt.

So that outcome remains in flux, with a vote pending by MGM debtholder on October 22.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

yaaaaaay !!! Great. I thought it was fucked.

I think it could be better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, with a bit of luck it's be more Pan's Labyrinth. Did I hear Guilermo Del Toro is doing it??? Or was I drunk?

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

he was doin it then the left the project so now Jackson is back as the aparent director

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

awwww ballls I loved pans labyrinth and the orphanage I saw recently was really good too

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Martin Freeman Heads Hobbit Cast
Oct 22, 2010 10:32 AM ET
by Joyce Eng4 Comments

Martin FreemanBritish actor Martin Freeman will star as Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's two-part adaptation of The Hobbit, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Hobbit finally gets the green-light

Freeman, who starred on the U.K. version of The Office, is "exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit," Jackson said in a statement.

Joining Freeman in the project are Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, Rob Kazinsky, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton — all of whom will play roles as part of the Company of Dwarves. Armitage, who stars on the U.K. series MI-5 and will appear in Captain America: The First Avenger, will play Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves.

Lord of the Rings stars Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis are expected to return as Gandalf and Gollum, respectively.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

PRODUCTION BEGINS IN NEW ZEALAND ON THE HOBBIT, PETER JACKSON’S TWO FILM EPIC ADAPTATION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN’S TIMELESS CLASSIC
March 20th, 2011 by xoanon 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit…

Wellington, NZ, March 21, 2011—Production has commenced in Wellington, New Zealand, on “The Hobbit,” filmmaker Peter Jackson’s two film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s widely read masterpiece.

“The Hobbit” is set in Middle-earth 60 years before Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings,” which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar-winning “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

The two films, with screenplays by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson, will be shot consecutively in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Filming will take place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

“The Hobbit” follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakensheild. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers.
Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever … Gollum.

Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities … A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.

Martin Freeman takes the title role as Bilbo Baggins and Ian McKellen returns in the role of Gandalf the Grey. The Dwarves are played by Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield), Ken Stott (Balin), Graham McTavish (Dwalin), William Kircher (Bifur) James Nesbitt (Bofur), Stephen Hunter (Bombur), Rob Kazinsky (Fili), Aidan Turner (Kili), Peter Hambleton (Gloin), John Callen (Oin), Jed Brophy (Nori), Mark Hadlow (Dori) and Adam Brown (Ori). Reprising their roles from “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy are Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, Andy Serkis as Gollum and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Jeffrey Thomas and Mike Mizrahi also join the cast as Dwarf Kings Thror and Thrain, respectively. Further casting announcements are expected.

“The Hobbit” is produced by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, alongside Carolynne Cunningham. Executive producers are Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner, with Philippa Boyens as co-producer. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson and Walsh, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, “The Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

Among the creative behind-the-scenes team returning to Jackson’s crew are director of photography Andrew Lesnie, production designer Dan Hennah, conceptual designers Alan Lee and John Howe, composer Howard Shore and make-up and hair designer Peter King. Costumes are designed by Ann Maskrey and Richard Taylor.

Taylor is also overseeing the design and production of weaponry, armour and prosthetics which are once again being made by the award winning Weta Workshop. Weta Digital take on the visual effects for both films, led by the film’s visual effects supervisor, Joe Letteri. Post production will take place at Park Road Post Production in Wellington.

“The Hobbit” films are co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing being handled by MGM. The two films are planned for release in late 2012 and 2013, respectively.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/03 … more-42825

Board footer