You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Best Buy exclusive dramatically limited 1st week sales!

buzzsaw wrote:

So...who made the decision to go with Best Buy?  I mean, all this sounds like another scapegoat fest by Axl lovers, but lets think about what made them choose Best Buy. 

Lets pretend everything you said is correct.  So they chose to go with the company that would result in 40% (your made up number, not mine) less sales for their album?  Damn, what a brilliant move.  I mean, that way when it fails miserably, you have (gasp) another excuse for it.  Maybe they didn't do it for the excuse...maybe they did it because of the upfront money.  But if you thought it was going to sell 40% (again, your made up number) more, who cares about upfront money, right?  You'll get just as much if not more after 2 weeks of sales, plus recognition for being #1 which will bring in more buyers curious to hear what was so good.

So even if you believe your post (I don't but I'll pretend I do for the sake of this discussion), what would lead them to making the decision they made?  I mean, surely if YOU know all of this, Axl's management team (one of the best in the business) knows all of this too, right?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

The reality is Jimmy, Irving and Axl were not confident in how the album would do in the US so they took the guaranteed sales of 1.3 million. They took the upfront money, and it paid off. They made the right decision from a business standpoint. It's Best Buys problem now. Why speculate further? neutral

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

The reality is Jimmy, Irving and Axl were not confident in how the album would do in the US so they took the guaranteed sales of 1.3 million. They took the upfront money, and it paid off. They made the right decision from a business standpoint. It's Best Buys problem now. Why speculate further? neutral

They only made the right decision if they knew they weren't going to do a damn thing to promote it. 

Thank you, I was hoping someone would finally lead it down this road.  They had no intention of ever promoting this album.  None.  Axl is covering his ass legally by saying they planned this and planned that but it didn't work out.  There was never any intention of promoting it, it was rushed strictly for financial reasons before anybody could back out of it.  That's why the booklet is fucked up, the LP is fucked up, the mixing is fucked up, etc.  The record company really must have had Axl by the balls to force them down this road with what he intended to be his masterpiece.  So now he has to talk about the next album...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

And just for you, I will re-post this for you.

Did you need to repost that whole thing?  Really??

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Yes I did!  LOL!  Of course zero promotion hurt, but that is a whole other story.  Of course the Best Buy deal was a good move for the label, any business move which shields liabilities is good.  Of course, the Best Buy deal is diminishing sales--just think, everyday 20 million people or so are exposed to a $9.99 ACDC disc, and only 3 or 4 million people are exposed to CD--if that.  The impulse, and common shopper purchases are what really drive sales for an album, and this album is not getting nearly as many as a Wal Mart exclusive, or non-exclusive would.  The name GNR is big, still, and many would have no problem forking out $9 bucks, if they saw it.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

No doubt that it was Axl and/or managements decision to release this through BB, so ultimately sales issues goes back to them (along with Axl not doing promo for it). That I agree with, but it doesnt change the fact that going through Wal Mart would have made a nice increase in its sales. Obviously they were more interested in the up front guarentee. Nothing wrong with that, if that was the goal. But it does effect sales.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

So...who made the decision to go with Best Buy?  I mean, all this sounds like another scapegoat fest by Axl lovers, but lets think about what made them choose Best Buy. 

Lets pretend everything you said is correct.  So they chose to go with the company that would result in 40% (your made up number, not mine) less sales for their album?  Damn, what a brilliant move.  I mean, that way when it fails miserably, you have (gasp) another excuse for it.  Maybe they didn't do it for the excuse...maybe they did it because of the upfront money.  But if you thought it was going to sell 40% (again, your made up number) more, who cares about upfront money, right?  You'll get just as much if not more after 2 weeks of sales, plus recognition for being #1 which will bring in more buyers curious to hear what was so good.

So even if you believe your post (I don't but I'll pretend I do for the sake of this discussion), what would lead them to making the decision they made?  I mean, surely if YOU know all of this, Axl's management team (one of the best in the business) knows all of this too, right?

i think most would agree this was a better business decision (quantity of dollars vs. quantity of units moved)- azoff also said he couldn't get axl to drop the songs with swear words, neccessary for wal mart to carry the cd.

i still think this thing will continue to sell after the exclusivity with best buy ends. they have met their budget by choosing best buy and will try to push the units when it is available everywhere.

in the end, i think it came down to more than one objective (the art, the money, and then the statisitics)

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

They only made the right decision if they knew they weren't going to do a damn thing to promote it. 

Thank you, I was hoping someone would finally lead it down this road.  They had no intention of ever promoting this album.  None.  Axl is covering his ass legally by saying they planned this and planned that but it didn't work out.  There was never any intention of promoting it, it was rushed strictly for financial reasons before anybody could back out of it.  That's why the booklet is fucked up, the LP is fucked up, the mixing is fucked up, etc.  The record company really must have had Axl by the balls to force them down this road with what he intended to be his masterpiece.  So now he has to talk about the next album...

A guy on the Velvet Rope said Axl is working on his version of the booklet and album mix (as crazy as that sounds). Axl alluded to it as well the other day. Just like he said, one nightmare at a time. You can't make up how fucked up this whole scenario is.:haha: I personally love the album and think it was smart to get the upfront cash, but everything past that has been a disaster.

Sky Dog wrote:

Buzz, from the Velvet Rope....this guy has made alot of accurate posts about Chidem. He made this post on 12-2....before Axl spoke.:ummm:

"What is in the stores is not the "final" master approved by Axl.
He has changed it several times since then."

"I doubt he ever planned on doing any promo. As for disappearing, he hasn't. He's working on the next version of the packaging, as he isn't satisfied with the current version.There will probably be a revised version with new artwork and new master, but a deluxe is most likely a no go. "

Board footer