You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: Best Buy exclusive dramatically limited 1st week sales!

Gunslinger wrote:

The Best Buy I go to is like a fucking ghost house as well.  I've said all along that this exclusive hurt sales.  Of course hindsight is always 20-20.  If it were at Wally World it would have sold twice as much.

Exactly--people go to buy fairly expensive items at Best Buy--right now, many people are trying to figure out how to feed their family tomorrow, pay the energy bill, and cover next months mortgage or rent.  They are not going to Best Buy.  The economy is not good, and specialty retail stores like Best Buy suffer far more than wholesale-retail giants like Wal Mart.  Interesting, I also saw that online sales of higher valued items were down this year as well--it's ugly out there:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/busin … technology

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I just got a text from Guns N'Roses, ChineseDemocracy.co.uk.

It says: "get £1 off Chinese Democracy at Amazon.co.uk with this voucher code..."

Thats £6.97, dirt cheap for a new album.

Kinda tempted to use it on the vinyl despite my moral outrage on the first release.

£12.98 is not too bad, suppose I can just look at it as part of the collection hmm

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I just got a text from Guns N'Roses, ChineseDemocracy.co.uk.

It says: "get £1 off Chinese Democracy at Amazon.co.uk with this voucher code..."

Thats £6.97, dirt cheap for a new album.

Yeah, as far as I know Virgin sells older cds for £7.00 in the UK and it's a new one.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

The economy is bad yes. Best Buy's traffic is down yes. Neither of these is the reason CD isn't selling in the US imo.

I agree. It affected it, but even if you add 20-30% more sales, it's still pretty low. I think it was a combo of everything, BB only, economy, lack of promo, singles aren't really "hits".

Russtcb wasn't it you who posted last year an article about how rock albums usually don't come out around Christmas, because rock fans tend to not give albums as gifts. Whereas hip-hop albums do come out around the holidays.

Anyway, alot of things went bad for the album. I think it's over. There's no demand from people out there to buy this record. I don't think I heard Better on the radio once. SOD is the only shot at becoming a hit. I'm not sure it will.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Its really cheap, its only been out a few weeks, I wonder if they know a reissue is coming.

Its a bit odd considering all the people who signed up to chinesedemocracy.co.uk will probably already have at least one copy.

I would like to play Madagascar on vinyl so I might go for that.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Russtcb wasn't it you who posted last year an article about how rock albums usually don't come out around Christmas, because rock fans tend to not give albums as gifts. Whereas hip-hop albums do come out around the holidays.

I bought 3 albums this year as Christmas presents and even bought one for myself, cause it was cheap. tongue

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Its really cheap, its only been out a few weeks, I wonder if they know a reissue is coming.

Its a bit odd considering all the people who signed up to chinesedemocracy.co.uk will probably already have at least one copy.

I would like to play Madagascar on vinyl so I might go for that.

I would be stunned if any re-issue comes out. They might want to focus on the first album's videos, and promoting it, and then turn their sights on the second album next year.

Why would a re-issue be in the works, when the original issue is stockpiled at Best Buy's warehouse and not selling?

I'm guessing if a re-release ever happens, as Axl's "true vision"... it'll be a limited edition available exclusively on GNR.com

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Dexter wrote:

Yes there are. There are 2 more covers/bk cover combos and the real  booklet that is all artwork that will be out shortly in some form.

It's  been an ugly battle that hasn't made any sense to anyone and  whether anyone cares about such things the booklet or artwork has  always been something I've been passionate about and to release  the album with unapproved and unseen final artwork with a !st work  only error filled draft when others more recent were readily available  still has not been explained but is finally getting cleared up. My fave  is the How Are You Grenade cover.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

He said it coming out shortly, I take that as a few months, although this is GNR...

Board footer