You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Best Buy exclusive dramatically limited 1st week sales!

Axlin16 wrote:

Some form, could be Axl posting a ZIP file at MyGNR

You never know.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

The economy is bad yes. Best Buy's traffic is down yes. Neither of these is the reason CD isn't selling in the US imo.

I agree. It affected it, but even if you add 20-30% more sales, it's still pretty low. I think it was a combo of everything, BB only, economy, lack of promo, singles aren't really "hits".

Russtcb wasn't it you who posted last year an article about how rock albums usually don't come out around Christmas, because rock fans tend to not give albums as gifts. Whereas hip-hop albums do come out around the holidays.

Anyway, alot of things went bad for the album. I think it's over. There's no demand from people out there to buy this record. I don't think I heard Better on the radio once. SOD is the only shot at becoming a hit. I'm not sure it will.

Patience PaSnow.  Let things unfold a bit before we bury CD.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

I am surprised that it sold 48,000 copies last week (according to Hits Daily Double)--that was a pretty small drop for the third week.  It's now scanned 366,000 in three weeks.  In this climate, under the circumstances, some of the presses criticism regarding sales seems more based upon ridiculous expectations, than reality.  Best Buy, if they had any guts left or the resources to, should push this hard leading up to X-mas, and they may get a few more weeks of steady sales around 50K.

Any updates on where Better is on the active and modern rock charts?  Also, Faldor, what songs do you hear on Sirius Octane?  A friend of mine said he has heard Sorry, TWAT, Catcher, CD, and Better.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

I am surprised that it sold 48,000 copies last week (according to Hits Daily Double)--that was a pretty small drop for the third week.  It's now scanned 366,000 in three weeks.  In this climate, under the circumstances, some of the presses criticism regarding sales seems more based upon ridiculous expectations, than reality.  Best Buy, if they had any guts left or the resources to, should push this hard leading up to X-mas, and they may get a few more weeks of steady sales around 50K.

Any updates on where Better is on the active and modern rock charts?  Also, Faldor, what songs do you hear on Sirius Octane?  A friend of mine said he has heard Sorry, TWAT, Catcher, CD, and Better.

I've heard CD and Better a fair amount of times.  TWAT a handful of times.  And I've heard Sorry once.  Haven't caught Catcher on there.  One of the DJ's on there said they've played I.R.S., Scraped, and Shacklers as well, but I haven't heard them either.  But I'd say CD, Better, and TWAT get played with pretty decent regularity.  Just a note, I listen to the Stern Show mostly on Sirius.  I have a Stiletto so I tape the show and listen to all 6 hours (minus commercials) a day, so I don't really put in that much listening time to Octane.  Whenever I'm NOT listening to Stern and have the radio on it's on Octane, but that may be just an hour or so.

I also heard them play CD on my local radio station today here in CT and they played the demo version.  That's the second time I've heard them do that.  Probably just a mistake, as they used to play the demos back in the day.  You think they'd update though and play the actual album track. 

I think sales for the 3rd week are pretty decent.  I mean at least it seems there won't be a big falloff from week 2.  Again, I assume all the diehards got their copy(s) week one.  So in essence, you could say the following 2 weeks 100K people have heard the music and decided it was worth a purchase.  Obviously not shattering any records here, but I don't think the album is as dead as people are making it out to be.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I certaintly think this week is the time to drop the Better video, and possibly start prepping a ballad for single & video. Don't let this thing hit rock bottom, before you start trying to promote it back up.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor

faldor wrote:

I don't blame Best Buy exclusively, obviously a lot of other factors have gone into the lower than expected sales.  BUT, they apparently paid a pretty hefty amount for this exclusive deal.  You'd THINK they might be doing more to push the album.  I saw a Wal-Mart commercial the other day for the X-Mas shopping season.  They went over a number of items you could pick up at the store, including AC/DC's Black Ice.  I saw a similar commercial for Best Buy and they had some lady explain how she helped pick out an iPod for a gift.  See the difference?  Wal-Mart has pushed their exclusives hard and reaped the benefits.  Maybe since Best Buy is new to this, but they haven't done the same.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

While I'm not "blaming" BB for the suffering sales, I do think they made a mistake in hosting the exclusive deal. Although, in fairness I'm sure the deal was worked out before the economic collapse. They're thinking was probably do cross promotion, get people in, and have them consider the low prices on HDTV's Blu Rays etc... However, since the recession is in full force, that isn't happening. Someone else said BB isn't like Walmart, where you go in, buy a cd, and also buy milk & eggs, or a $15 dollar shirt.  If I recall correctly box stores like BB & CC don't make profit off of cd's. Which is why they were able to sell them at $9.99 & kill off music only stores & your mall cd shops (The Wall). They sell them at cost to them, & hope you also or someday soon go back to buy a camera, pc, printer, ink etc.. However, now with cost cutting in place (their profits went down 77% over last year http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_ … best_buy_8 ) they have to find ways to reduce costs. Advertising campaigns promoting a $10 item which makes little to no profit to them is usually first on the list, as they'll usually focus their advertising campaigns on larger, higher profit margin items like HDTV's, Camera's, memory cards, PC's etc..

Again, I just think it was alot of things that led to this, but I don't leave out the fact Axl could have handled things alot better himself. Interviews, an SNL appearance, Letterman, Leno etc.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Walk into your local Best Buy. Count the customers there and come back and tell us what you saw. Seriously. That's the answer. I already mentioned this, but I went there the other day and employees outnumbered customers, like 20 to 5.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Just saw a report on CNN that 70 percent of shoppers this past weekend went to Wal-Mart, more than Sears, JC Penney, Target and Toys R Us COMBINED.
America, AC/DC thanks you.

Board footer