You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Let me get this straight, you would much rather see no album than the one we got?

Yes.

What was wrong with it? The booklet? The sound? I thought the booklet errors were lame but I thought the quality of the recording was great and the songs likewise. Another question of what someone define as "quality".

I see the songs in their current state as being subpar.  Too cluttered, not mixed well, over-produced, etc.  The songs themselves might be great...I don't know because I can't hear enough of the song to make a call on that.  The booklet is unprofessional.  The LP issues (if true, I didn't buy one) are inexcusable.  Basically everything that has gone along with the release of this album has been unprofessional, and that reflects on the product (fairly or unfairly). 

I'd rather see Chinese Democracy than no Chinese Democracy. I'd rather see demo recordings than no recordings at all. I like music. I like this type of music and I welcome any I get.

Both of these are bad arguments IMO.

You enjoying the product and the product being good are 2 different things.  You can enjoy it all you want and you can crave all the demos in the world...that doesn't make the product quality or professional.  Some people like killing people...that doesn't make that acceptable either. 

I am happy for everybody that enjoys CD.  What you don't seem to understand is that the thing you enjoy has basically ended any chance of this GnR being relevant.  So congrats on enjoying it, but now you have to deal with the bad that goes with the good.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Exactly. For all the new band fans that begged for the album for years, as a way to bury reunion talks, all the release of CD did, was enhance demand for a reunion.

The irony.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Exactly. For all the new band fans that begged for the album for years, as a way to bury reunion talks, all the release of CD did, was enhance demand for a reunion.

The irony.

People are really overstating the publics craving for a GNR reunion.  Would people go see it?  No doubt, but the number of people sitting on their hands clamoring for a GNR reunion is about the same as those that waited all these years to hear Chinese Democracy. 

Chinese Democracy has not tarnished the legacy of the band.  IF you want to get down to it and look at it that way, the legacy was ruined LONG before that.  Don't forget, about 80% of the album leaked before it even came out so if they never released it (and I'm not talking about the way all albums leak in a traditional sense), exactly how much mystery would've surrounded it?  We heard pretty much an entire album, by most bands standards anyways.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

At the same time we have this great album, it killed the curiosity for the world. Had the album stayed legend, and never been released, it would've always been a myth.

Seriously, the myth has been greater than the actual album itself, as good as it is.

I disagree with that. The "myth factor" was fun for us fans, who spend our days on here obsessing over the next record, but it was bad for the 'brand' of GNR.

Sure some people we're swept along by the intruge but not as many as were lost through inactivity and silence. You have a situation where the band announces a tour, and the responce is "why will that happen? He can't even put out an album" - and all news in the media, no matter what was always followed by a disertation that Axl's gone mental, that he can't release music, the year count, the waiting, comparisions to brian wilson, talk of kicking out the ex-members. while to an extent all press is good press, the myth forced this shit to be the focus of the band for decades. If the band had released more material in a timely fashion and behaved more normally, it would have been better.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The irony.

People are really overstating the publics craving for a GNR reunion.  Would people go see it?  No doubt, but the number of people sitting on their hands clamoring for a GNR reunion is about the same as those that waited all these years to hear Chinese Democracy.

If you're talking about the people actively waiting for a reunion, you're right.  The difference is that if it actually happens, the interest will exceed the interest in CD by the media and the general public.  Maybe they aren't waiting for it, but everyone would know when it happened.

faldor

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The irony.

If you're talking about the people actively waiting for a reunion, you're right.  The difference is that if it actually happens, the interest will exceed the interest in CD by the media and the general public.  Maybe they aren't waiting for it, but everyone would know when it happened.

That I understand, but Axlin's comments about how CD only enhanced the demand for a reunion are what don't make sense to me.  Just because people don't like CD doesn't mean they want a reunion, the 2 have nothing to do with each other.  People who wanted a reunion before, still want one.  People who could care less, could still care less.  I don't see what CD has to do with the wants and needs for a reunion.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Here is how I look at it Faldor.

Axl had this grand vision for what he wanted GNR to be. he got the keys to the brand and has done nothing with it.

I compare him to Matt Millen or a bad NFL General Manager. you got full control of this brand. What have u done with it?

faldor

faldor wrote:

Unfortunately, looking back on everything, Axl probably would've been better off ending GNR and going by a different name for the band.  Because with that brand name came loads of expectations, pressure, etc.  But he thought he was doing the right thing at the time and he's too proud to change any of that now.

People like to say how Axl kept the name so he could draw fans simply by the brand name.  Well, even if that's true, I think a lot more negatives went into keeping the name that outweigh the positives.  But again, Axl had this vision of what GNR should be, I believe from the very beginning.  Obviously I don't think it's gone quite as he would've imagined or hoped (at least the last 10 years or so), but I don't see him throwing in the towel and starting up The Axl Rose Project at this point.

He's had to rebuild the band 3 or 4 times over the last 6 years, and that has to be draining.  I'm sure he didn't plan on that or hope for it, but it happened.  They seem to have some solid guys in the fold right now, I just hope they can stick around for awhile and become a cohesive unit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yes I think keeping the brand may help some people show up to shows and sell records, but it costs just as much in lost fans, negative reviews that focus on that issue and other drama.

I think Axl kept it for emotional reasons rather than anything else though. It sounded like that from his interview. It may not make sence to the rest of the world, and causes problems, but it felt like the right thing for that part of his creative energy i guess.

faldor

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yes I think keeping the brand may help some people show up to shows and sell records, but it costs just as much in lost fans, negative reviews that focus on that issue and other drama.

I think Axl kept it for emotional reasons rather than anything else though. It sounded like that from his interview. It may not make sence to the rest of the world, and causes problems, but it felt like the right thing for that part of his creative energy i guess.

Yeah I remember reading an interview for a LA paper back before Guns hit it big in "Reckless Road" and Axl had a profound quote in the article.  I forget the exact quote but it was something along the lines that he had a vision and a plan for what he wanted Guns N' Roses to become.  And that's when he was 24.  He just seemed so determined and set on achieving his goals.  Not to say the others weren't, but it didn't come across in the article as they were quite as focussed.

Anyways, I think it goes without saying that Axl Rose is misunderstood.  Partly, because he's such a private guy.  We really don't know why he makes certain decisions or feels the way he does because he doesn't come out and explain himself very often.  That's his perogative though, and who are we to question him?

Board footer